Author Topic: Getting 7th Edition Tournament-Ready  (Read 18345 times)

MM3791

• God
Re: Getting 7th Edition Tournament-Ready
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
A 1000 point deathstar can still only ever be in one place at one time. MSU(multiple small units) will still win the game since they can cover more ground, thus capture more objectives.
Still? They didn't do well in 6th Edition at all.

I believe in 7th, objectives are captured per turn.. not end game. I'll have to double check, but that makes a huge difference.

andalucien

• God
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
That's a good link.  I've been waiting or the results.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

coolrick5

• 6200 proxy points of Salamanders
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2014, 04:41:42 AM »
Prediction: Much of the malefic tree will need to be adjusted beyond the "recursive summoning".   It's just too much flexibility and too much extra bookkeeping to be anything other than annoying in a timed environment.   We already had daemon players taking 15 mins or so to roll and record all their gifts powers at the beginning of the game.   Now we add the ability for NEW units with their own gifts and powers to be added in the middle of the game (a LOT of them).

The herald summoning power..
1. Decide what God herald you want
2. Decide on what balance of powers or gifts
3. Decide which trees of powers you want
4. Roll on the powers and record it somewhere
5. Roll on the gifts and also write it down
6. From that point on both players will need to remember which of the heralds is which and which powers and gifts they each have.

Now imagine doing that a few times and building up a stack of generated heralds on top of all the cards or whatever you're hopefully already using for the daemons that were actually in your army list originally.  We've never had anything like that before.  Maybe it'll be ok but seems problematic to me.

In that respect it's incredibly annoying, but there's other, easier powers to use in it that balance out.

I play Pat H. up in Plainville on Thursdays, and since 7th came out he's run at least two Wierdboyz with malefic powers in each game. Summoning a unit of 5 Fleshhounds near every turn from each one is quite terrifying to be on the receiving end of, but 1) they die easily and 2) since any doubles rolled are insta-Peril, they usually only manage to spawn one unit before coming down with a case of exploding head.

It really depends in my opinion. It's a fun power to use but i can see it causing a lot of headaches if used to spawn anything more complex than a basic daemon unit
Due to some screwup in their gene-seed genetic radiation protection, all Salamanders are black...We're talking coal black, pitch black, hexadecimal code #000000, the missing word in the phrase "...as the void of space." That kind of black. With glowing red eyes.

phasertech

• Email
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2014, 04:35:51 AM »
Prediction: Much of the malefic tree will need to be adjusted beyond the "recursive summoning".   It's just too much flexibility and too much extra bookkeeping to be anything other than annoying in a timed environment.   We already had daemon players taking 15 mins or so to roll and record all their gifts powers at the beginning of the game.   Now we add the ability for NEW units with their own gifts and powers to be added in the middle of the game (a LOT of them).

The herald summoning power..
1. Decide what God herald you want
2. Decide on what balance of powers or gifts
3. Decide which trees of powers you want
4. Roll on the powers and record it somewhere
5. Roll on the gifts and also write it down
6. From that point on both players will need to remember which of the heralds is which and which powers and gifts they each have.

Now imagine doing that a few times and building up a stack of generated heralds on top of all the cards or whatever you're hopefully already using for the daemons that were actually in your army list originally.  We've never had anything like that before.  Maybe it'll be ok but seems problematic to me.

In that respect it's incredibly annoying, but there's other, easier powers to use in it that balance out.

I had forgotten already this power exists. I think this is the singular worst (in terms of rules writing) power not only in this field, but in the entire game. It's built in a way that MASSIVELY slows down a game unless you have your heralds already pre-built and ready to plop on the table without having to build their loadouts. Unfortunately there's not really anything you can do about this power in a tournament setting except *require* players to have their heralds prebuilt with stats and all. Sure it reduces the tactical flexibility of the power, but it at least overcomes the massive game-slowing effect it would have otherwise.

Without pre-planned heralds for this power, I forsee it stalling tournament games if it gets used a lot, and I think that's something that should be avoided.

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »
It really isn't going to be an issue for a variety of reasons.

1.) The Herald is born alone, and is an easy kill detached from a unit.
2.) He has to deep strike in when summoned and it has to be within 6" range of the psyker, so a mishap is pretty likely compared to the other powers.
3.) People don't own that many Herald models (and if you don't count boxes of regular daemons people CALL Heralds, this matters more, of course).

One thing to remember here is that even if one or two people did this, it's not really a big deal, regardless -- it's not worth reacting to just for one or two corner cases, I think.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."

phasertech

• Email
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2014, 03:48:36 AM »
I'm not arguing the strength of the power, it's perfectly balanced IMHO

My issue is the possibility of it slowing down the game due to picking wargear for each situation. I don't care that they have adaptability, but unless you know what the points and gear of all of your heralds are ahead of time, you're going to have to look it up and "build on the fly", which could slow the game down. not as much of an issue in casual play, if a bit annoying, but in tournament play when you're on the clock, that's a problem

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2014, 05:05:51 AM »
One thing to remember here is that even if one or two people did this, it's not really a big deal, regardless -- it's not worth reacting to just for one or two corner cases, I think.

Completely agree.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel