Author Topic: Getting 7th Edition Tournament-Ready  (Read 18360 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: Getting 7th Edition Tournament-Ready
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
I would highly suggest those that play 40k to play chess.  It will make your game much better.  The strategy involved will help allot when it comes to tabletop warfare.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

MM3791

• God
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2014, 03:19:41 PM »
I would highly suggest those that play 40k to play chess.  It will make your game much better.  The strategy involved will help allot when it comes to tabletop warfare.

What?? You mean I can't just push-broom my space men forward and expect to win?!? ;)

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2014, 07:26:51 PM »
If the major problem with the new psychic phase is demons summoning demons summoning demons. Why not just limit it to each psyker  can only summon one new unit and the summoned units can't summon more units. Even if you have everyone take Demonology and you have 20+ warp dice its unlikely you are going to get 2000 points of demons turn one unless the dice gods are with you. I feel the ML+ thing restricts armies with low level psykers like Astra Militarum and Orks too much. If someone wants to recklessly throw their mastery lvl 1 psyker's life away summoning demons they should be able to.

Other alternatives might be auto perils on any conjuration power if it fails to go off. Limiting the number of attempts at summoning.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:50:06 PM by Pat.H »
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
Right ban everything! Let's all just play Chess, it's balanced and the rules never changed!!

Is someone here saying we should ban the psychic phase? I haven't read it anywhere. Why can't we stop taking GW's word as divine and have a rational conversation about the game we enjoy playing and have invested a lot of time and money in. We are trying to balance the game and give everyone as close to a fair game as possible, why some people fail to see is beyond me.

I, personally, would like to see ML+2 power dice per cast at least tried out. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not but it seems some would disagree. This restrains the ability to cast WC 3 spells from anyone and I see those spells as being the most broken when able to be cast by anyone every time because you have a ton of psychers.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2014, 11:37:07 PM »
We got a Doubles event coming up at the end of June.

We will not be limiting the Psychic Phase or any Psychic Powers in any major way at all.

There will be slight differences in the way we're requiring the two, 1000 point armies be built, but we feel like people will be pretty happy with what we've done (or not done) for the first 7th edition event.

I've got to have a final talk with Sam and hope to have the event post up tomorrow evening.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

andalucien

• God
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2014, 12:14:41 PM »
We will not be limiting the Psychic Phase or any Psychic Powers in any major way at all.

I like this approach.  I suspect that we'll discover that at least Malefic and Invisibility will need to be curbed.   But I think that it's important to  observe the specific way in which they harm the game, and then make the smallest possible change that will fix any specific problems.  That seems better to me than making an overarching change to the whole nature of the psychic phase which will change other stuff that isn't actually a problem anyway and would remove some of the fun decisions that could come up (deciding how many dice to throw, etc).
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »
Another thing I'd point out in general is that as more books come out for an edition, most of the time, less comp is needed.  8th edition fantasy got better as more and more books from 6th and 7th got replaced.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2014, 03:09:50 PM »
Another thing I'd point out in general is that as more books come out for an edition, most of the time, less comp is needed.  8th edition fantasy got better as more and more books from 6th and 7th got replaced.

I'll speculate that the new Dark Eldar & Necron books get cool anti-psyker wargear, as those two factions seem to have fluff to support it.

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »

I'll speculate that the new Dark Eldar & Necron books get cool anti-psyker wargear, as those two factions seem to have fluff to support it.

Necrons did until GW went "yo dawg I heard you like Pariahs so we got rid of them".
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

Zaroth

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2014, 08:41:45 PM »

Dark eldar can get more psykers than orks right now.

On the whole psy phase, I think people need to really try it out and play with it more before changing anything.  I have had two games so far.  In the first I had 7 levels of psykers with my blood angels vs 4 levels of IG psykers.  One the whole, my psykets were able to successfully manifest half the powers they used to.  Mephiston was still very scary with biomancy, but his buffs weren't guaranteed like they used to be.  The second game saw my 5 levels of IG psykers vs. 30+ levels of demons.  Yes he did summon a lot of demons, but he was focusing all his dice on it.  The buffs and wichfire powers that demons rely on were ignored.  As a result I was able to fight him to a stand still.  The game ended with a 1 point victory for me, thanks to massed pie plates (tank commanders are fantastic).
The point of my ramble is to give it time and try it out before you start restricting things.

Oh ya, invisibility is completely broken.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2014, 09:28:07 PM »
Typing up the Doubles event post now, in between entering results for the Magic tournament and selling a bajillion single cards.  I'll get it up ASAP, although small parts may be incomplete.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:30 PM »
At some point, I'd expect Invisibility either to be officially FAQ'd or altered. Put on a Deathstar, it's just too much, far out of sync with the other ML2 powers.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2014, 11:18:06 PM »
Invisibility now works like the way it works in real life. It makes it difficult to see, it doesn't increase the amount of plant life that is growing in the area.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2014, 11:44:32 PM »
Invisibility now works like the way it works in real life. It makes it difficult to see, it doesn't increase the amount of plant life that is growing in the area.

Uh, wot? How many times in real life are you shot at by 60 million years old robot pharaohs or gigantic insects from another galaxy or flying wizard demon lords?

MM3791

• God
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2014, 11:55:59 PM »
I also never heard of Arnold Schwarzenegger complaining about an invisible predator thingy either.