Author Topic: 7th ed confirmed  (Read 12951 times)

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: 7th ed confirmed
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 09:16:33 AM »
Chase as much as I want you to be right, I just dont see it happening.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »
I'm trying to stay positive.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

MM3791

• God
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
I don't really understand why they get blamed for so much here anyway.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."

Grandmaster Steve

• God
  • No whining, just fun games this is how I play
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 12:52:33 AM »
I just want to play 40k i wish people would stop belly aching and play

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 10:46:38 AM »
I just want to play 40k i wish people would stop belly aching and play

This.

I don't really know why every 40k community concerns themselves so heavily with the direction of the game. You don't see it much in other groups. You'd think we'd be used to it, seeing as how 40k has changed drastically every other edition or so in some way shape or form (be it rulebook or codex).

The game growing and changing isn't really bad for anyone; I prefer this to a stagnant game.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »
So.... as someone who is in a community entirely based around playing a particular game, I shouldn't care about the direction of the game?  What playing the game consists of doesn't matter at all?  Kinda sounds like blind faith to me.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
I hope 7th ed has some sort of banking system so my space marines don't have to resort to violence. Why kill your enemies when you can tax them to the point that they can't even afford bullets.

Also would like to raise tariffs on the Tau because why should they be able to dump their junk off at my ports for free? And how are Imperial citizens supposed to compete with cheap ork slave labor? Don't get me started with the Eldar..

Point is that everyone has ideas and not everyone is going to like every single change. Comp or no comp, I just want to play the game.

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »
I took a quick glance at the white dwarf article. Only real thing of note was there was a side bar where one of the guys was telling a story about how one of the guys at GW who plays Dark Angels took Demonology on his Librarian and summoned a Bloodthirster. So I guess that's a thing now.
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

Dalymiddleboro

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 01:26:35 PM »
I hope 7th ed has some sort of banking system so my space marines don't have to resort to violence. Why kill your enemies when you can tax them to the point that they can't even afford bullets.

Also would like to raise tariffs on the Tau because why should they be able to dump their junk off at my ports for free? And how are Imperial citizens supposed to compete with cheap ork slave labor? Don't get me started with the Eldar..

Point is that everyone has ideas and not everyone is going to like every single change. Comp or no comp, I just want to play the game.

Settlers of Catan: 40k EDITION!

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
So.... as someone who is in a community entirely based around playing a particular game, I shouldn't care about the direction of the game?  What playing the game consists of doesn't matter at all?  Kinda sounds like blind faith to me.
The only thing you need for a successful gaming community is for the following two criteria to be filled:

1.) A game exists.
2.) People want to play it together.

Everything outside of that is irrelevant, as far as the community aspect goes. And for every 1 guy who thinks change x/y/z will destroy the game there are 1 or more guys who will adapt to or be excited by the change. Communities don't die because games grow -- they die when games don't.

There is a prevailing idea that any one change in the game will make it ruined but that has been echoing throughout the GW fanbase echo chamber since time immemorial. None of the previous things ruined or killed the game and neither will these things, merely change it.

Wanting to be aware of the changes and hoping they are in line with what you like about the game has a lot of merit, of course. But don't act like a rules change to the core ideas of the game are going to hurt it. People talk a lot of trash about "good" and "bad" rules writing but no one quantifies these things mostly. In 40k it's just a bandwagon to say the game sucks. It doesn't. There is a difference between "It's not like other games" or "It's not how I'd like it to be" and "It sucks/it's bad/it's terrible."

I've been playing for just about 9 years now, and if I had a dollar for every time someone proclaimed that the game was doomed by GW's terrible new rule x, I would be a rich, rich man.

Besides. It's hypocritical at best. I mean...you can't sit around on message boards all day and talk about what a bad game it is, then lament and fly into a panic when they dare to change it. Even change for change's sake is better than a stale, dead game.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 03:53:52 PM »
I have been playing this game for 20+ years and yes people whine and bitch it happens every change.  However back in the day GW was allot more clairvoyant and actually showed they at least made an effort to play test and so on. 

This last edition I can honestly say was the first that has truly felt broken to me and GW new plan or way of doing things is horrible.  Because of this the community has lost its faith in GW and rightly so as it seems they dont care about the game and just want to sell models.  I really think if they went back to the way they used to do business the changes wouldnt be so community angering.  The unknown will cause mass panic this is true.

Change for change sake is a very bad thing.  As the saying goes why change what isnt broken.  This may of been the case back in the day but not now.  Allot of changes need to happen to bring the community together again.  I have purposely not paid any attention to any rumors and plan on giving 7th the benefit of the doubt.

But People need to vent and we have forums like this for those people.  Civil discussions into what is broken what doesnt work, are needed for growth as well as acceptance. 

The simple fact is there are a wide variety of games and the needs of the gamers differ.  This causes allot of difference of opinion and angst as one group will say this isnt good because x,y and z and the other group is saying this is awesome blah blah blah.

Together we make a community of gamers and together we can prosper or fall.  Respect how different people play the game and sure voice your opinions and so on but dont think for a minute the guy next to you has to think the same.  We play these games for different reasons and in doing so have different needs.  But we are all playing the same game in the end. 

There are 2 words that can be said and as a whole community I wish we would follow them....

Respect and Honor
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

andalucien

• God
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:04 PM »
The only thing you need for a successful gaming community is for the following two criteria to be filled:

1.) A game exists.

Everything outside of that is irrelevant, as far as the community aspect goes. And for every 1 guy who thinks change x/y/z will destroy the game there are 1 or more guys who will adapt to or be excited by the change. Communities don't die because games grow -- they die when games don't.

There is a prevailing idea that any one change in the game will make it ruined but that has been echoing throughout the GW fanbase echo chamber since time immemorial. None of the previous things ruined or killed the game and neither will these things, merely change it.

Wanting to be aware of the changes and hoping they are in line with what you like about the game has a lot of merit, of course. But don't act like a rules change to the core ideas of the game are going to hurt it. People talk a lot of trash about "good" and "bad" rules writing but no one quantifies these things mostly. In 40k it's just a bandwagon to say the game sucks. It doesn't. There is a difference between "It's not like other games" or "It's not how I'd like it to be" and "It sucks/it's bad/it's terrible."

I've been playing for just about 9 years now, and if I had a dollar for every time someone proclaimed that the game was doomed by GW's terrible new rule x, I would be a rich, rich man.

Besides. It's hypocritical at best. I mean...you can't sit around on message boards all day and talk about what a bad game it is, then lament and fly into a panic when they dare to change it. Even change for change's sake is better than a stale, dead game.

Yeah, i think you're right about that.  I think I may have just gotten into 40k at one of the "peaks" of its approaches towards being organized and suitable for competitive play (halfway through 5th edition).  I found the idea that the models I was building and the lists I was brewing could be part of a wordwide consistent experience to be very motivating and I spent thousands of hours and dollars on it.  And now it's been falling off from that, more towards how it was apparently back in 2nd ed era, a casual game that requires that certain parts of the rules, as well as a concept of what is "fair" need to be cooperatively created between the 2 people playing it, and may not be the same as what is going on the next table over, and that's OK because it's all that the people playing it want.   So it's more about my own personal expectations rather than an absolute judgement that the game is getting bad. 
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Grandmaster Steve

• God
  • No whining, just fun games this is how I play
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 09:24:45 PM »
right now I just really want to play actual games I dont care what the rules are like, im tired of watching models collect dust

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2014, 11:22:59 PM »

1.) A game exists.
NOPE.

At a minimum, a successful gaming community needs:

1) A game exists with a comprehensive (though need-not-be complex) ruleset that caters to casual and competitive players, pulling interest from as many people as possible, run by a company that is as passionate about its product as the players, and responds to them appropriately.

2) People want to play it together.

3) A store that puts in the immense amount of time and effort to support the game, stock the latest items, stock all the other items, take special orders for customers, make tables and accessories available at a moment's notice, host events, etc.

4) Players who put in an immense amount of time and effort to support the community, preferably those players with basic social skills, determination and a willingness to teach the game as a game.

5) Luck, because it only takes one bad apple to spoil things for lots of players, or for the store to be in the wrong location, or an economic downturn...

But really, it's the complete lack of acknowledgement for #3 and #4 that chaps my ass. Do you even community, bro?