Author Topic: Shocker...  (Read 12752 times)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
Re: Shocker...
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:58 PM »
I think GW is starting to feel the backlash from-
-their lame ”balanced” crappy codexes.(CSM,DA,SM,nids)
-Lack of overall game balance.
-over expencive, half-assed supplements and data-slates.
-over priced models, under preforming units.
-badly worded rules that lead to abuse.
-screwing over LGSs and online stores to corner the market.
-butchered rewrites of fluff.
-straight up price gouging.
-Stupid game support for games no one wants to play(LoR,hobbit)
-lack of proof reading, incompetent editing
-lack of play testing.
I really could just go on and on and on. As a result of these afore mentioned problems, I have spent very little on new stuff. if IG sucks as bad as DA and CSM, im done with buying anything GW makes.

Seconded. 

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »
I read an article where the GW execs live in a bubble and to them snow is black.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 10:24:54 PM »
I think GW is starting to feel the backlash from-
-their lame ”balanced” crappy codexes.(CSM,DA,SM,nids)
-Lack of overall game balance.
-over expencive, half-assed supplements and data-slates.
-over priced models, under preforming units.
-badly worded rules that lead to abuse.
-screwing over LGSs and online stores to corner the market.
-butchered rewrites of fluff.
-straight up price gouging.
-Stupid game support for games no one wants to play(LoR,hobbit)
-lack of proof reading, incompetent editing
-lack of play testing.
I really could just go on and on and on. As a result of these afore mentioned problems, I have spent very little on new stuff. if IG sucks as bad as DA and CSM, im done with buying anything GW makes.

Seconded.

Thirded.  Don't worry Chase, I'll still have the bug for SOMETHING no matter what :)
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 11:21:27 PM »
I'm not super worried about it.  GW ebbs and flows.  4 year "dark periods" followed by 5 year "bright spots."  It's just how it works.  We're currently 1.5 year into a "dark period."

There are lots of other super cool alternatives that people can try out if they're frustrated.  WHFB is a great game that few people want to show love.  WM/H is very solid, and the stock issues have been getting SLIGHTLY better.  X-Wing is awesome and people should absolutely take the 30 min to learn how to play.  The Star Trek game is literally an X-Wing clone.  Malifaux, MERCS, Infinity, Dark Age, Bushido, Hell Dorado, Mage Knight (it's recently been relaunched) etc. etc. etc.

Then there's always Magic, which does nothing but grow and get better...

Point is, there's a lot of solid alternative.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 02:24:59 AM »
Seems odd though and Chase would probably know about whether this line of thinking is correct. Games Workshop opens up a bunch of shops that basically sells only their goods. They stretch out too thin don't make enough of a profit and become a sort of dead-weight. They shut down a bunch of stores and the profit line goes up because the people find local game stores with better communities so they play there. Games Workshop sees profit increase decide to open a bunch of new stores again.

Again I could be wrong about this I faded out when they went into 5th edition many moons ago.,
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 04:07:47 AM »
Whelp, this looks like the beginning of the end, to me.  Desperate moves to cut costs and remain profitable. 

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2014/01/gw-changes-stores-closing-and-armies-no.html?showComment=1390032335640#c2697280296727667868

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 07:59:11 AM »
GW has canned armies in the past, this isn't really all that new of a tactic. I have a tub of mutants and traitors hidden away in shame.

Chase is right though, there is always room in WM/H for new players. ;) I was attempting to find the quote but one of the best things about the game system(s) is the promise from PP that your models will always be game legal.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 08:09:45 AM »
Whelp, this looks like the beginning of the end, to me.  Desperate moves to cut costs and remain profitable. 

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2014/01/gw-changes-stores-closing-and-armies-no.html?showComment=1390032335640#c2697280296727667868

Wow, I imagine that hits some fantasy players right in the feels

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
GW has canned armies in the past, this isn't really all that new of a tactic. I have a tub of mutants and traitors hidden away in shame.

Chase is right though, there is always room in WM/H for new players. ;) I was attempting to find the quote but one of the best things about the game system(s) is the promise from PP that your models will always be game legal.

Yeah, but they've been very rare, and I also argue Black Templars didn't really get canned.  And have they ever canned 4 at once?  (or in a row) No, of course not.  This seems a sign that Fantasy may just be dieing, and it's certainly not a good sign for GW, overall. 

andalucien

• God
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 10:37:47 AM »
I always thought I was gonna make a wood elves army, someday :( 
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »
This seems a sign that Fantasy may just be dieing, and it's certainly not a good sign for GW, overall.
Careful who you say that around...

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »

Yeah, but they've been very rare, and I also argue Black Templars didn't really get canned.  And have they ever canned 4 at once?  (or in a row) No, of course not.  This seems a sign that Fantasy may just be dieing, and it's certainly not a good sign for GW, overall.

Rare? That post sounds a lot like an apologist for GW until the last sentence.

LatD, Squats, BT, Daemon Hunters, Witch Hunters. The armies no longer exist. You could use *some* of those models in other armies but the armies were actually discontinued.

Also, there were quite a few discontinuations of armies of Fantasy in the past, far more than I realized and more than 40k.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 01:45:27 PM »
I am not in any way apologizing for GW, nor do I, usually.

Your list is just wrong.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
I am not in any way apologizing for GW, nor do I, usually.

Your list is just wrong.

Could you pick me up a codex or possibly point me in a direction where I can get a 6th edition Squat codex?

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
the BIGGEST reason I wont give up on GW, is I have just invested way to much into the game. Case and point the flying blue box known as the Thunder Hawk.