Author Topic: Shocker...  (Read 12777 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Shocker...
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »
GW made half their money last I knew from video game licensing, and the only game I can think of recently is the Space Hulk game. Was that last year? Point is, they haven't continued to develop a large source of revenue.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 01:20:39 AM »
this explains why i dont see as many 40k players as I used to in Abington......then again my damn job is a time vampire.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 03:14:29 AM »
There's this idea of relatively affluent middle-class parents buying their kids a few hundred $$ of models at christmas, but I'm not really sure that happens, either.

This does happen, and not just at Christmas.  It's probably more common than people realize.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 03:27:19 AM »
this explains why i dont see as many 40k players as I used to in Abington......

40k has fallen off a bit INSIDE the Abington store of lots of complex reasons, not all of which are bad.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »
Games Workshop Group plc Reports Unaudited Consolidated Earnings Results for the Six Months Ended December 1, 2013
Jan 16 14

Games Workshop Group plc reported unaudited consolidated earnings results for the six months ended December 1, 2013. For the period, the company's revenue was £60,481,000 compared to £67,457,000 a year ago. Operating profit was £7,678,000 compared to £11,019,000 a year ago. Profit before taxation was £7,731,000 compared to £11,094,000 a year ago. Profit attributable to equity shareholders was £5,601,000 or 17.6 pence per diluted share compared to £8,078,000 or 25.4 pence per diluted share a year ago. Net cash from operating activities was £6,122,000 compared to £9,219,000 a year ago. Purchases of property, plant and equipment was £3,097,000 compared to £3,090,000 a year ago. Purchases of other intangible assets was £825,000 compared to £1,452,000 a year ago.

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »
GW made half their money last I knew from video game licensing, and the only game I can think of recently is the Space Hulk game. Was that last year? Point is, they haven't continued to develop a large source of revenue.

Licensing their brands would be lucrative for them. Rather than keeping everything in house let's see officially branded Warhammer 40K & Fantasy terrain kits, official 40k conversion kits, space marine shoulder pads and so on. Plus sneakers, movies, breakfast sausages, coffee mugs and children's vitamins.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 09:17:23 AM »
The rumors have been hot and heavy lately about a new GW/FW website and the ability to order FW in the GW stores (hopefully flgs like battlegrounds as well)

Not sure how this will affect the stock prices

Tharcil

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:51 AM »

Licensing their brands would be lucrative for them. Rather than keeping everything in house let's see officially branded Warhammer 40K & Fantasy terrain kits, official 40k conversion kits, space marine shoulder pads and so on. Plus sneakers, movies, breakfast sausages, coffee mugs and children's vitamins.

Warhammer the FLAMETHROWER!

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »

Warhammer the FLAMETHROWER!

The kids love this one.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
The rumors have been hot and heavy lately about a new GW/FW website and the ability to order FW in the GW stores (hopefully flgs like battlegrounds as well)

Not sure how this will affect the stock prices

FW is really tiny compared to the rest of the business, I wouldn't expect it to change anything very much. 

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 02:43:46 PM »
well, that may change with the whole lord of war thing.

Cryptognomicon

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
The GW/FW web page merging helps their bottom line because its less work(manhours) and thus the cost to have to maintain multiple pages is reduced drastically.  Also makes their sales channel much clearer to navigate. It is my belief that this is part of the sales reorganization that GW announced.  Overall the sales reorganization is good thing for everyone involved, including hopefully the FLGS that sell GW products because all their products will be under one umbrella versus the multi channel approach that they have been working under for so many years now. Hopefully it'll open up stores like BG to possibly sell FW products someday.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 06:26:07 PM »
Then there is the whole cataclysmic national economic depression going on, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
Doesn't surprise me much that they did worse in 2013 than in 2012.  6th edition 40k was July 2012, allies, /shrug.

I suppose Tau + Eldar were the 2013 winners.  Were they both 2013?

Thefallen

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
I think GW is starting to feel the backlash from-
-their lame ”balanced” crappy codexes.(CSM,DA,SM,nids)
-Lack of overall game balance.
-over expencive, half-assed supplements and data-slates.
-over priced models, under preforming units.
-badly worded rules that lead to abuse.
-screwing over LGSs and online stores to corner the market.
-butchered rewrites of fluff.
-straight up price gouging.
-Stupid game support for games no one wants to play(LoR,hobbit)
-lack of proof reading, incompetent editing
-lack of play testing.
I really could just go on and on and on. As a result of these afore mentioned problems, I have spent very little on new stuff. if IG sucks as bad as DA and CSM, im done with buying anything GW makes.