Author Topic: Shocker...  (Read 12786 times)

andalucien

• God
Shocker...
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:22:19 PM »
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Cryptognomicon

• Heroic Tier Level 2
Re: Shocker...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
Just as a general FYI because I'm sure some people might be confused - that number is in "Pence", not GBP or USD. 

So its somewhere around $9 a share in USD. 

It dropped a total ~$2.88 a share in "Merica" monies

On the flip side they are down 7.7 million GBP for the last 6 months compared to this time last year. 

http://www.lse.co.uk/AllNews.asp?code=qjocmh66&headline=Games_Workshop_Shares_Down_24_As_FirstHalf_Profit_Tumbles

Corporate reporting is all Bull$h1t anyway as its based on expected growth. Now would probably be a really good time to invest in GAW as the shock will be over in a day or so and it'll probably start to go back up again.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:57:37 PM by Cryptognomicon »

Cryptognomicon

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
i'm not intelligent enough about stocks to read too much in to this, but lets look at what came out the last 6 months.

Apocalypse book and new models: doubt these were big sellers
Space marines codex and models: that had to of been a good seller
Escalation/Stronghold assault: They probably took a bath on these

whats in the pipeline

Tyranids: I doubt it will come even close to doing as good as space marines
Imperial Guard: One of the flagship armies, with a decent codex this could be big
Orks: Ork players have been waiting since 4th edition, again with a decent codex this could be big

Cryptognomicon

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 03:16:57 PM »
Also a lot of stuff came out at the end of the year - so there probably hasn't been a lot of money sales in that time frame.  My guess is that they don't make a ton off the books to begin with because cost of printing is crazy high for the print quality they produce. Not saying they don't make any profit off each book sale, but its probably not as much as most people would think. And beyond that they didn't release a lot of new models between now and then with the exception of Space Marines. 

Per their top sheet a lot of the sales issues had to do with their retail stores as they are in a major transition period with them. Some people forget that GW is a retail company in addition to a model company.  Is that the smartest position to be in? Probably not IMO as there is less overhead as a manufacturer/distributor.  But their history is in retail and at the moment that is still their business plan.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:22:00 PM by Cryptognomicon »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:13:52 PM »
Yup, I was going to post about this too.

Maybe GW should suck less.  I really feel they pooped all over their game in 2013.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
Maybe they should let stores sell Wave Serpents in boxes that have a picture of the Wave Serpent on it, instead of blank white boxes.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »
the problem is that the people who play the game are not their target market, unless you are still in high school.

As Bill Maher loves to say.

"Already got your money dude."

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 04:54:18 PM »
Do you think they still try to target new players?  I feel like they put out exactly 1 product targeting new players every 5ish years.  If they ARE targeting new players, they're horribly, horribly, horribly off the mark.

I do find it interesting that the stock dropped off that much overnight.  I wonder what info is floating around out there that we dont know about yet.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:01:03 PM »
the problem is that the people who play the game are not their target market, unless you are still in high school.

I couldn't have afforded this game when I was in high school... well maybe with the prices back then but nowadays? No way

Do you think they still try to target new players?  I feel like they put out exactly 1 product targeting new players every 5ish years.  If they ARE targeting new players, they're horribly, horribly, horribly off the mark.

I do find it interesting that the stock dropped off that much overnight.  I wonder what info is floating around out there that we dont know about yet.

They are seriously driving away the next generation of players with these kind of prices. The only school age kids who can afford 40k right now with GWs new business "strategy" must either have a full time job or one hell of an allowance from mom and dad
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:06:54 PM by PhoenixFire »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 05:13:30 PM »

THat's what everyone says, but I also have a lot of trouble believing it.  If I was a new player and I saw that ONE MODEL cost $86, I'm pretty sure I'd just snigger and turn to something else.  There's this idea of relatively affluent middle-class parents buying their kids a few hundred $$ of models at christmas, but I'm not really sure that happens, either.

In the face of videogames, other general culture changes, I would assume getting new players would always be challenging.  I think frankly outrageous prices make that much, much worse.  They've also driven away their longtime players with crazy rule changes and lack of balance.

Look, I spent the prize money from last tournament on warmachine, not 40k.  I have like, enormous sunk cost in 40k, and I'm still taking a hard think about playing other games instead. 

IG Dan

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 05:23:24 PM »
How much does the Hobbit license cost them? And the models and packaging and such? And how much money have they made in return off it?

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »
How much does the Hobbit license cost them? And the models and packaging and such? And how much money have they made in return off it?

Is the hobbit a game system or just models? Fantasy is bigger in other parts of world so maybe hobbit is popular elsewhere?

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
by the way their trend has been going I would not be surprised if they sell soon. I really hope they do and some one that knows how to make gammers happy takes over. Bring back the good ol days when Andy Chambers worked for them I say!

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 06:15:01 PM »
I am not saying GW is doing a good job.  But it is obvious they don't give a shit about you or any of the established players.

so who are they targetting?  People who don't play.