Author Topic: Last minute Tyranid rumors?  (Read 17815 times)

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
Re: Last minute Tyranid rumors?
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2014, 10:54:09 PM »
I had the chance to fully digest today. I think the new dex is better, but you have to be a good player, the good units are very points efficient. Hey, remember when you had to be a good player to win 40k? Those were the days.

Thefallen

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2014, 10:55:45 PM »
Im sure nids will do fine in friendly games against balanced lists. I think the bugs will really fill-out when they get a supplement or two. Geanstealer cults will hopefully return. Maybe a hive fleet supplement could bring back spore pods and the Doom.
I think this is a GW marketing ploy. Buy the codex for the basics then buy a supplement to make them good. I bet they do the same thing to IG.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2014, 11:06:24 PM »
The new Tyranids do have good units, but they have really bad ones too. The venomthrope looks great giving out cover, but this can be ignored by things like Hell Turkey, Sternguard, markerlights, flamers etc. The Crone/Harpy will get slaughtered by any weapon with skyfire it's not even funny. 150 guants mean nothing when your synapse creatures gets nuked off the board by weapons that ignore cover. Exocrine seems neat but it has to compete with a very crowded heavy selection, just to get a plasma platform.. not worth it over carnifexes or trygons, stuff that can actually kill vehicles. I still think it can be as competive as space marines, but I think there will be one or two competitive builds.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »
in my experience fighting nids, you need a healthy balance between  swarms and big bugs

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2014, 02:30:11 AM »
It IS possible to overwhelm even Tau if you have enough bodies and they're cheap enough. Maybe they DID play-test it (kinda doubt it), maybe the efficiency is just enough that it works out.  I dunno, would have to play against it to see. 

But yeah, they got to have the synapse.  Durable synapse (or a lot of it) seems harder to come by. 

I'll also say if they're main strength is efficiency based, that seems to me the kind of thing that washes away quickest as codex power-creep kicks in. 

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2014, 02:42:08 AM »
I like the alpha warrior rule.  And at least you can tank with the prime a little.  Dunno if that's worth it.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »
I had the chance to fully digest today. I think the new dex is better, but you have to be a good player, the good units are very points efficient. Hey, remember when you had to be a good player to win 40k? Those were the days.

Care to share any details?  Or shall the way this codex can be good remain secret until you unleash it on your enemies (like at Templecon)?
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
Tyranid War Vet data slate appears to be on pre-order. It's not like Ultramarines need any help, especially since most nid players haven't even gotten a chance to play the new codex yet lol . Good grief https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/games-workshop/id536481148?mt=11

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:38 PM »
The important part is that it's part of a narrative. That they're forging.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2014, 05:28:09 PM »
The world needs your good news Bill...

According to Frontline's latest podcast, they are planning on allowing Las Vegas Open attendees to use either the old Tyranid codex OR the new codex, b/c it doesn't make sense not to allow the new codex, but they also don't want all the Tyranid players to cancel on them.   Bold move.
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
Troop situation relating to Synapse seems a bit worse than I thought... 

If termagants fail their instinctive behavior (ld6 check) they have a 50/50 shot of going into fall back mode.  So clearly they can't play the "cultist role" (deckchairs).  I was thinking that Hormagaunts' behavior in that situation was to Go to Ground (which would probably at least leave them where they were, making them at least still on the objective).  But I was wrong, they are "Feeders" not "Hunters", so if they fail their ld6 check, they hit themselves, which will most of the time in turn force a morale check, which will then also make them fall back.  So they're even worse at this job than termagants are. 

Seems like there's no choice, you HAVE to either just run genestealers as fragile, 70pt objective claimers with no guns (which IMHO makes the idea of playing the army in an objective game absurd), or you need to have a synapse plan. 

One man's guess:  I bet people the people that try to play Tyranids competitively will STILL run Tervigons, even though they went up in price by 25% and are about half as good as they were in the old codex. 

It's either that or Warriors (the same as they were in last codex, and when was the last time you saw one of these mythical beasts on the table?  I can honestly say that I've never seen a Tyranid warrior in person)... I mean, what else is there?  I'm gonna try a squad of Warriors myself.    At least they won't run away on their own and don't require a 300 pt investment.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:53:22 PM by andalucien »

MM3791

• God
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2014, 05:58:01 PM »
I can see maxing out the T-Fexes with regeneration and rupture cannons. The mawlocs/trygon/vanilla canifexes take far too long to get into position to be effective.. better to put pressure on the enemy right off the bat then let your opponent piece meal your army while you wait for your other big bugs to deep strike/footslog across the board.

Deathleaper as HQ and max out warriors and ravengers with devourers, rending claws, and adrenal glands. I know the internet hates warriors/ravangers, but at 40 points a pop they are still cheaper then terminators and have 3 wounds a piece. Hopefully by 1st/2nd turn the T-Fexes will clear out most things that can threaten the warriors/ravengers. This comes to almost 1850 points I believe. The list can ignore fliers and doesn't really have to worry about synapse.

For the record, I don't think genestealers are that bad as the internet says.. they perform the same function as deamonettes (deamon's best troop choice ;) ) but have way better stats. The nice part about the book is that almost all monsters got a huge points decrease, so that helps a lot.

The fluff in the codex is really good too, Tyranids vs Orks.. the first time the nids have been outnumbered was really fun to read. Then of course The Hive Mind vs all 4 greater Daemons.. ripping good read lads  8)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:01:03 PM by MM3791 »

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »

Haha well, We had a "think tank" last night and came up with a couple of lists. The synapse isn't as big of a deal in it because the lists that expand the reach of normal synapse will be LD10 or have feed. IB is really only devastating to lurk creatures with low LD. We came up with two lists, or basis for lists. Compared to old nids it is not quite as durable but it has alot more threats that needs to be killed. New nids are harder to play, but reward good players. I really do like this look better as my old list was good but really quite boring.

Oh yeah, and not looking for list criticism lol. i am sure some of you will think it is terrible and that is good new for me =D

Flying HT- Hive commander, 2x TL devourers

2 lictors
1 venomthrope
3 hive guard

30 Termagants
Tervigon

Crone

Mawloc
Mawloc
3 Carnifex- 2x TL Devourers

Bastion

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »

Haha well, We had a "think tank" last night and came up with a couple of lists. The synapse isn't as big of a deal in it because the lists that expand the reach of normal synapse will be LD10 or have feed. IB is really only devastating to lurk creatures with low LD. We came up with two lists, or basis for lists. Compared to old nids it is not quite as durable but it has alot more threats that needs to be killed. New nids are harder to play, but reward good players. I really do like this look better as my old list was good but really quite boring.

Oh yeah, and not looking for list criticism lol. i am sure some of you will think it is terrible and that is good new for me =D

Flying HT- Hive commander, 2x TL devourers

2 lictors
1 venomthrope
3 hive guard

30 Termagants
Tervigon

Crone

Mawloc
Mawloc
3 Carnifex- 2x TL Devourers

Bastion

Bill every time you say something it just makes me want to play Tyranids more.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2014, 07:20:47 PM »
Sexy bugs are sexy