Author Topic: [Abington MA] Apocalypse Megabattle VI - 1/11/2014  (Read 4576 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
[Abington MA] Apocalypse Megabattle VI - 1/11/2014
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:16:13 PM »

Battleground Games & Hobbies - Abington MA

Date: January 11th, 2014 a Saturday
Time: Please be here no later than 9:30 am
Entrance Fee: $40.00 (includes t-shirt + coffee/beverages + lunch + dessert)

Address
1423 Bedford Street
Abington, MA 02351

Find us on Google Maps - Or take some time to review us. 

Check out our Facebook Page

INTRODUCTION

This will be Battleground Games & Hobbies sixth Warhammer 40K Apocalypse Megabattle. It will be hosted at the Abington location on Saturday, January 11th, 2014.

Our Warhammer 40K Apocalypse Megabattles have always been major events at Battleground. We put a lot of effort into creating an event that focuses on the “fun” and “fluffy” part of 40K. Typically, the tables look gorgeous and the landscape of completely painted 4000 point armies strewn about make for quite an impressive looking game. This year, we are making a more concerted effort to “theme” the event. Participants are encouraged to not only bring their armies, but to spend a little thought as to why your army is there. As usual, we are splitting the two table sides into Order and Disorder. We recognize that the armies that fall into one side or another are debatable, but for the past five Megabattles these deliniations have worked pretty well.

We encourage everyone who loves to play the game, and can muster a fully painted 4000 point army, to join us on January 11th to experience the maximum carnage of Warhammer 40K. The setting for the battle will be a prominent fortress city of Cadia, where the thunder of war will decide the fate of that region forever.

THE TABLES

Assuming approximately 20 players, the game will be played on one huge table (6’ x 24’ – but more table will be added as needed if there are more than the expected amount of participants). A significant portion of the terrain will be city-like, representing one of the fortress cities of Cadia. At one side, there will be a defensive wall, beyond which will be blasted terrain with hills and other land features.

The City

The city walls have been damaged and it has been invaded. The fortress’s main power generators are currently offline, rendering its orbital defense cannons non-operational, which has crippled its defensive shields. All the while, a massive battle has been taking place in orbit over the world. The city sections that still have some partially functioning shields grant a 4+ Invulnerable save against any attacks launched at targets inside the city walls from the outside. This also works the same in reverse, with units outside the walls being attacked from those within the defensive shields. The city’s value and shields also prevent any superheavy walkers, fliers, and gargantuan creatures from entering. There will be an Objective set within the city.

The Landing Fields

Beyond the city walls, is the Landing Fields. This is where the Imperials are attempting to evacuate the most valuable assets in the city. The terrain here will be very open. Expect maximum carnage! There will be an important shuttle as an objective in this region.

The Trenches

After the Landing Fields, there will be a section of trenches and emplacements. Here, the objective consists of a large Imperial fortress, partially in the Disorder deployment zone. The forces of chaos struck hard and early, pushing the guard out of the fortress and into hastily erected trenches. If Order cannot reclaim it, Disorder will be able to advance on the city walls and any evacuees will meet a grisly fate.

The Badlands

Broken cliffs, hills, and scrubland dot the landscape of the next table section. Here, there lies an incredibly powerful chaos device. The forces of Order have managed to stall its advance and now a battle rages to either destroy it or repair it. If Disorder manages to repair it, it will continue its advance on the city’s walls. Regardless of the outcome in the city itself, if the chaos device breaches the wall, the city will fall.

Doomscape

At the farthest point from the city, lies the bleak region known as the Doomscape. Strange xenos pillars rise from the ashen wastes. Their purpose is unknown, but some believe they were constructed to keep back the Eye of Terror. A powerful artifact sits at the center of this place, its mysterious properties will remain a mystery until control of the artifact is gained. But will these properties be for weal or woe?

THE STORY

The forces of Order and the forces of Disorder will be able to score victory on a section without necessarily winning the whole battle. The outcome of each table region will organically create an unfolding story. For example, if Order holds the city section they will maintain control of the orbital cannons until power comes back on and they are able to lend their firepower to driving back the Chaos fleets above the planet. If Chaos takes the city, they will in turn use the cannons to obliterate the Imperial ships, providing a pathway to larger invasion of the planet. If the Landing Fields are won by Order, the city’s vital personnel are evacuated and retaking the city would be much easier. On the other hand, if Disorder holds it, they slaughter the evacuees, sewing terror and devastating the city’s future. If Disorder manages to claim the xenos pillars in the Doomscape, they will be able to invoke a ritual to weaken and shatter the pillars, resulting in a redirection of the Eye of Terror towards the world of Cadia.

SCORING

In most cases a model must be within 3 inches to count as scoring, though some of the very large objectives may require models to be on top of or touching the model to count. These features will be identified prior to the start of the game.

All units may score and contest objectives except: vehicles, fliers, monstrous creatures, super-heavy vehicles/fliers, gargantuan/flying gargantuan creatures, and any unit whose special rules declare them as non-scoring.

Each objective will be scored and tracked independently, as the outcome at each location will be different. After each round, an objective is worth one point per consecutive round it has remained held and uncontested. For example, if Order holds an objective at the end of round one, they will receive one point. If at the end of round two they are still holding an uncontested objective they will receive two additional points, and so on.

DEPLOYMENT AND FIRST TURN

The Warmasters of each side roll a die. The high roll chooses to set up first and go first or set up second and go second. There will be no seize the initiative rolls in this battle!

Each side will then have five minutes for discussion and then twenty minutes to set up. After both sides have set up, the first side to go may then make their scout moves and set up infiltrators. The side to set up second will then do likewise.

ASSETS

As in previous years, only one player on each side may have any given asset. This makes it important to claim your asset early. We would prefer that this be done via communication, compromise, and negotiation on the Battleground forums. If a compromise cannot be met, the person who makes the first post in the Asset folder on the Megabattle VI forum the official determination. You will not be allowed access to the forums until you have paid your entrance fee at the store, at which time your screen name will be activated.

Furthermore, some assets have had adjustments made in previous years. These old ruling will remain in effect. For example, assets that claim to effect an entire table, in fact, only effect the table you are on, and the table to either side (some conditions may apply).

The Mek Workshop and Canabalize assets restore a maximum of 4 hull points per vehicle effected.

Assets which create or destroy victory points, like Trophy Kill and Get ‘em Boys, are banned.

OTHER RULES

We will NOT be using the Divine Intervention rules. (They look great in a 3 vs 3 battle, but 10 vs 10 with, generally speaking, only two people per side ever getting to use them, they would just slow things down.)

Due to the different manner in which this game will be scored, bonus objective points like those from assets or super-heavy/warlord kills cause problems, as do the rules requiring you to spend points for using many of the assets. They will not be allowed for this event.

The following assets all grant or deny bonus points and are banned for the Megabattle VI:
Trophy Kill, Corrupt & Despoil, Get ‘em Boys, Strands of Fate, World Digestion
(if you are aware of more, please make the tournament organizers aware so we can keep the list up to date and accurate)

There are also a few special rules from some data sheets like the Tallyman of Nurgle that do similar things with point bonuses and denials. These effects are also banned. We will allow the use of the assets that normally cost one for free. Strategic Reserves and bonus points for special kills rules will be ignored. Data sheets that normally generate points will be offered a free asset (based upon the data sheet) each time they achieve its objectives, though no more than once per turn.

New rules may be added and or discussed up until the day of the event.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
Re: [Abington MA] Apocalypse Megabattle VI - 1/11/2014
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:19:03 PM »
Please make all event and rules related questions in the Megabattle VI folder located here:

http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?board=49.0

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 07:36:10 PM »
Sign me up!!!!!
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »
Since there will be only about 20 players can we increase the points?  Perhaps 6000?

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
Since there will be only about 20 players can we increase the points?  Perhaps 6000?

It's tempting to say yes, but at this point being so close to the event, I think we should stick to simple. Going over the 4000 is still possible if other people have less, however.

SyRael

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:55:34 AM »
Hey when can I sign up and how much this year? Count me in.

Thanks,

Brandon D.

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Hey when can I sign up and how much this year? Count me in.

Sign up as soon as possible at the Abington location. Having definitive numbers from people who have actually paid makes things way easier for the store.

Date: January 11th, 2014 a Saturday
Time: Please be here no later than 9:30 am
Entrance Fee: $40.00 (includes t-shirt + coffee/beverages + lunch + dessert)

DWalker

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 01:33:45 PM »
I know this is late, but is this full?
"Are you frightened? Not nearly frightened enough."

-Doug

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »
I know this is late, but is this full?

Nope! The more the merrier!

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
Is there anyway to sign up for this at the Plainville store?
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
Is there anyway to sign up for this at the Plainville store?

Yep. That's not a problem. I'll talk to the guys and make sure they send us all sign-up information as they come in.

Thanks!

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
i am definently coming i just have a busy week before i can get to the store and pay

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 02:05:48 PM »
Well, another year, another loss for the forces of Disorder.  I'm seriously beginning to think it's my fault. :-\  But it was a good time all around.  I know I had fun, and was at least able to blow up some land raiders, which is always fun.  Thanks Derek and the Crew of Battleground Gs&Hs!  Theres ALWAYS a next year with you guys and THAT is the part that's AMAZING!!  ;D

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51:44 PM »
I had a blast, thanks Derek & all the folks who made this happen!

One year we'll get past turn three ;)

Great job one and all!

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase