Author Topic: Escalation and Stronghold are launched!  (Read 16229 times)

andalucien

• God
Re: Escalation and Stronghold are launched!
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:18 PM »

Who cares if 700 point models kill hundreds of points per turn.  700 points of other stuff would too.  That's how the game works.  "Good" units are capable of killing their cost in models every turn, given solid targets, right?  What's the difference here?  What's wrong with having to play around that fact?

Hmm, my post wasn't really a complaint, just an observation. 

But, to follow up, no, it is very unusual for any unit to be able to kill its points worth of the enemy on the first turn given normal deployment.  If you think about it, that would mean that if you go first, your 1850 points kills the opponent's 1850 points and you win.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »
Interestingly the Thunderhawk might have a little bit of self-balancing built into it, in that it's a flyer, so it can't show up till turn 2 at the earliest.  So the enemy is going to get at least 1 turn of facing off against basically half an army.  If it doesn't arrive till turn 4, the army is kinda screwed.  It's kind of like how it's scary to run flyers in the 500pt games, because it's just too horrible if the thing doesn't arrive in a timely manner.

The Thunderhawk will smoke the Revenant, since the Revenant can't hit flyers.

I believe Stronghold Assault also has a comms relay, so you can get +1 to reserves.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:44:50 PM by MM3791 »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »
Anyhow, I'm done wasting my time with this.  There's a clear difference of opinion and that's fine.

There will be events where we allow Escalation.  There will be normal events where we allow all of the Forgeworld stuff.  I'm inviting everyone who doesn't want to play in a tournament where superheavies are allowed to not show up.  No big deal.  Not every event is for every player.  It's okay.

:)
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2013, 09:53:20 PM »
I have many things to say on this, but here's the salient point that other people might actually care about.

The more source material that is allowed, the harder it is to design events that present an illusion of being fair.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »
Anyhow, I'm done wasting my time with this.  There's a clear difference of opinion and that's fine.

There will be events where we allow Escalation.  There will be normal events where we allow all of the Forgeworld stuff.  I'm inviting everyone who doesn't want to play in a tournament where superheavies are allowed to not show up.  No big deal.  Not every event is for every player.  It's okay.

:)

I was waiting for this. As the song goes I did not start the fire

MM3791

• God
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2013, 10:05:30 PM »
Yea we've pretty much beat the topic to death, and I look forward to blowing up everyone's Revenant titan!!!  8)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2013, 10:52:24 PM »
You guys wouldn't enjoy the challenge of building and testing against something like a Revenant?

I really wouldn't.  Kinda my point.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »
Here, I'll boil that video and post down for everyone:

"Man... this sucks!  In order to accommodate a potential shift in the metagame I might have to think for a second or two."

Do you guys realize that the game is deep enough to handle pretty much anything at this point?

Who cares if 700 point models kill hundreds of points per turn.  700 points of other stuff would too.  That's how the game works.  "Good" units are capable of killing their cost in models every turn, given solid targets, right?  What's the difference here?  What's wrong with having to play around that fact?

How the hell is something that's likely to have a real impact on the metagame BAD for 40k right now?  I really don't understand why people aren't excited about this.

Game planning for a superheavy + whatever else you might see has got to be awesome.  Lists will change, new things will become decent, players will have to risk things.  It could be potentially amazing and very exciting simply because they MIGHT show up.

I love Chase. And lamp....

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:52 PM »
This thread might see my thunderhawk being built.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:14 PM »
Here, I'll boil that video and post down for everyone:

"Man... this sucks!  In order to accommodate a potential shift in the metagame I might have to think for a second or two."

Do you guys realize that the game is deep enough to handle pretty much anything at this point?

How the hell is something that's likely to have a real impact on the metagame BAD for 40k right now?  I really don't understand why people aren't excited about this.

Game planning for a superheavy + whatever else you might see has got to be awesome.  Lists will change, new things will become decent, players will have to risk things.  It could be potentially amazing and very exciting simply because they MIGHT show up.

I love Chase. And lamp....

I second this but I don't know who lamp is lol

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:47 PM »
This thread might see my thunderhawk being built.

This needs a like button

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2013, 12:00:03 AM »
My Only issue with Escalation is the fact it makes me want to buy a Thunderhawk cause I could actually use it. Other than that OMG I can do some super silly shit.

4 Storm Talons. 2 Storm Ravens. 1 Thunderhawk. All rolling onto the table at the same time. :3
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

King of the Elves

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2013, 12:34:30 AM »
My Only issue with Escalation is the fact it makes me want to buy a Thunderhawk cause I could actually use it. Other than that OMG I can do some super silly shit.

Same feeling. Now that I have a real reason to buy a titan, I might just take the plunge.

Thefallen

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2013, 12:52:17 AM »
The D weapons are tough but no more OP than a unit with rerollable 2++. They will just take some getting use to. In low point games they will be a non-issue and in higher point games people will now have to prepare for them. If you like running ridiculous 800+pt deathstars that were nearly invincible you may want to change your strategy. Now players  with weaker armies can actually compete. Personally I think it will be fine. It adds a whole new dynamic to the game and people will get used to it. 

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2013, 12:55:58 AM »
i spike thunder hawks that are not mine