Author Topic: December Releases  (Read 3981 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: December Releases
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
I'm told that anyone can take the giant fortification with the Str D gun, too.

Fun fun!

Also, we will definitely host an event (or several) that allows this stuff.  Obviously the majority of events won't allow them.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

andalucien

• God
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
I fantasize about running my Zarykynel in her true, 666-pt form, and actually, you know, playing a game.  I took her to the MegaBattle, but that's a little different....  it's 3 turns, and about 20 minutes of which is you moving your stuff and rolling dice, and about 12 hours of watching other people do their thing.  Which is still fun, b/c everyone has huge & amazing models... but not exactly "playing" in the usual sense.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 10:06:36 AM »
Yeah, being able to field Anggrath on a semi regular basis would make me reconsider 40k.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 10:40:15 PM »
I... I don't think it gets worse than being able to field a Revenant titan. It don't leasts the most in terms of everything. Be nice if it lets me use the Pylon or some of the other big toys I've accidentally purchased.

Any limits of the number of super heavies allowed per army in your 3k tournament?

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 11:18:44 PM »
What will be interesting is what the new escalation expansion does with D weapons since they are ridiculously OP in normal 40k games.

The assumption is D weapons will become str10 ap1 in a normal game format since that is what they already did with the 2 sets of rules that come with the new fortifications.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 12:27:28 AM »
Based on the short talk with the rep, it seemed like D weapons are staying as is.

Something about "every army has access to a D weapon through [that huge fortification]."
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

andalucien

• God
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
Well, on the negative side, D weapons instantly destroy large amounts of armies with no saves allowed or anything.  On the positive side, they would also instantly destroy Screamer Councils, Seer Councils, Spiritseer Councils, etc etc. :)
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2013, 12:37:06 PM »
Removing entire units works really well for Fantasy. I don't see how that could go wrong, but I'll ask the three people I know who still bother to play.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 04:20:57 PM »
Removing entire units works really well for Fantasy. I don't see how that could go wrong, but I'll ask the three people I know who still bother to play.

I think the major difference in Fantasy, is that mostly only uber magic spells can remove entire units.. and casting those spells can be difficult. The spell also has to get through your opponent's magic defense, which adds another barrier to overcome before a spell can be successfully cast. Then there are things like dispell scrolls which add another layer of protection from uber spells. Lots of checks and balances to remove entire units in Fantasy, but when it works it is obviously pretty awesome.

In 40k the D weapons fuction just like normal shooting, so the other player's only defense is closing his eyes and hoping for the best lol. There are stratgems like the force field that can help defend against it, but at the moment options are limited. It really depends on what else they add to the expansion.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 06:11:15 PM »
Combat res and morale tests are pretty good at wiping out whole units in fantasy, too. ;)

If they make it so you can only have 25% of your points in super heavies, you wont see enough strength d to actually cause problems.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »
But if they make it so that only 25% of your army can be superheavies, it means 95% of all superheavies wouldn't be legal for 95% of tourneys.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2013, 12:37:10 AM »
But if they make it so that only 25% of your army can be superheavies, it means 95% of all superheavies wouldn't be legal for 95% of tourneys.
95% of the time.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
95% of the time.

shwnlyns

• Heroic Tier Level 6
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:20 AM »
So I think I got this game down, bring str d weapon. Go first, blow up opponents d weapon, win.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
D weapons have two purposes.

Killing other super heavies
Speeding up an apocalypse game by wiping out large swaths of units without giving them a save

Personally I hope this escalation supplement reduces D weapons to str10 ap1. D weapons are just too unbalanced for regular games

Does every codex have access to D weapons? Most, but usually no more than one choice per

Does every codex have access to D weapons without resorting to forgeworld? Nope, I think only IG, CSM, Necrons and maybe orks. At least they are limiting the "lords of war" options to 16 or so. Maybe that will keep things somewhat balanced.