Author Topic: Templecon Missions  (Read 13864 times)

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
Templecon Missions
« on: October 09, 2013, 01:00:21 PM »
Hey Guys, I am trying to work out the missions for this years Onslaught GT at Templecon.  I am hoping you guys could help me do some play testing.

Keep in mind these missions are not final, nor are they in any particular order.

These are designed for 1850 points, but I suppose you can play them for any level.  You can post feedback here or PM any info to me.

All missions are on a 20/0 sliding scale.  Each VP that you win by increases your score by one, and decreases your opponent's score by one.  Equal VPs results in a 10-10 draw. 

Missions A: Vanguard Strike deployment.  Each player places one objective in their deployment zone(normal rules apply for placing objectives).  At the end of the game each of these objectives are worth 4 VPs if controlled. Place a single objective at the center of the table.  This is a Relic, follow all normal rules for the relic, except that it cannot be moved until turn 2, also, a model with the IC rule may not control/move the relic on its own.  The relic is worth 5 VPs if controlled at the end of the game.  First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.

Missions B1: Hammer and Anvil deployment.  Each player places three objectives in their table half(normal rules apply for placing objectives).  Before deployment, after all objectives are placed, roll to randomly determine the VP value for each objective, each player will have one worth 2VPs, one worth 3VPs, and one worth 4VPs.  Controlling your own objectives are worth 1VP each at the end of the game.  Controlling your opponents objectives are worth the randomly determined value(2 or 3 or 4)VPs.     First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.  In this mission fast attack choices are considered scoring and yield 1VP if destroyed.

Missions B2: Hammer and Anvil deployment.  Place 5 objectives along the (6ft) center line of the table. One in the center, one 12" on each side of that objective, and one 12" beyond each of those objectives. Objectives score as follows at the end of the game: Starting with the objective 12" from the back of your deployment zone(which is worth 1VP) each objective closer to your opponents back table edge is worth +1VP(so the one closet to his back edge is worth 5VPs, and the center is worth 3VPs).     
First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.  In this mission fast attack choices are considered scoring and yield 1VP if destroyed.

Missions C: Dawn of War deployment.    Place one objective at the center of each table quarter and a 5th objective at the center of the table.  These objectives may be scored during the game, at the end of your opponents turn if you control them(1 VP each), your opponent can score them at the end of your turn.  Scoring these objectives starts during the second game turn, and continues until the game is over. The objective at the center of the table is worth 2VPs each time it is scored.
Annihilation. (Each unit is worth 1VP if destroyed).
First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.

Missions D: Dawn of War deployment. Place an objective in the center of each table quarter.  These objectives are worth 3VPs each at the end of the game.  First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.  In this mission Heavy support choices are considered scoring and yield 1VP if destroyed.

Missions E: Vanguard Strike deployment.  Place three objectives along the (diagonal) center line.  Each of these objectives is a Relic.  At the beginning of turn 2. A randomly determined Relic is removed from the table(roll a d3).  Each remaining relic is worth 4VPs if controlled at the end of the game.  A unit may only control one relic at a time. A model with the IC rule may not possess the relic by itself.
Annihilation (each unit is worth 1VP if destroyed).

@Chase, Sticky?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:28:29 AM by keithb »

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: Templecon Missions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
i was literately just talking about templecon with some people this morning!

So it's going to be 1850 not 2k?

now that templecon is 4 days instead of 3 that change anything?

hopefully doubles has a much bigger turn out than it did last year

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
going to be 1850.

GT is only on the weekend, so other days don't matter.  I'll message the RI guys about the doubles.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »
Hey Guys, I am trying to work out the missions for this years Onslaught GT at Templecon.  I am hoping you guys could help me do some play testing.

Keep in mind these missions are not final, nor are they in any particular order.

These are designed for 1850 points, but I suppose you can play them for any level.  You can post feedback here or PM any info to me.

All missions are on a 20/0 sliding scale.  Each VP that you win by increases your score by one, and decreases your opponent's score by one.  Equal VPs results in a 10-10 draw. 

Missions A: Vanguard Strike deployment.  Each player places one objective in their deployment zone(normal rules apply for placing objectives).  At the end of the game each of these objectives are worth 4 VPs if controlled. Place a single objective at the center of the table.  This is a Relic, follow all normal rules for the relic, except that it cannot be moved until turn 2.  The relic is worth 5 VPs if controlled at the end of the game.  First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.

Missions B: Hammer and Anvil deployment.  Each player places three objectives in their table half(normal rules apply for placing objectives).  Before deployment, after all objectives are placed, roll to randomly determine the VP value for each objective, each player will have one worth 2VPs, one worth 3VPs, and one worth 4VPs.  Controlling your own objectives are worth 1VP each at the end of the game.  Controlling your opponents objectives are worth the randomly determined value(2 or 3 or 4)VPs.     First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.  In this mission fast attack choices are considered scoring and yield 1VP if destroyed.

Missions C: Dawn of War deployment.    Place one objective at the center of each table quarter and a 5th objective at the center of the table.  These objectives may be scored during the game, at the end of your opponents turn if you control them(1 VP each), your opponent can score them at the end of your turn.  Scoring these objectives starts during the second game turn, and continues until the game is over. The objective at the center of the table is worth 2VPs each time it is scored.

Missions D: Dawn of War deployment. Once table sides are determined, each player places 2 objectives.  These objectives are worth 3VPs each at the end of the game.  First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.  In this mission Heavy support choices are considered scoring and yield 1VP if destroyed.

Missions E: Vanguard Strike deployment.  Place three objectives along the (diagonal) center line.  Each of these objectives is a Relic.  At the beginning of turn 2. A randomly determined Relic is removed from the table(roll a d3).  Each remaining relic is worth 4VPs if controlled at the end of the game.

@Chase, Sticky?

I think having ALL missions be objectives might be an issue.  Random VP objectives are also an issue because there is a very real chance that one person is going to get the highest ones in his own deployment zone, and his opponent will literally have no chance to win unless he completely tables his opponent.  I can see this mathematically coming out to a lot of draws/barely wins.

If you are going to do objectives in a GT, it's best if you do "one in the middle, 4 in each center of each quarter" - that way no matter where you set up or the deployment type, both players have an equal shot at getting to the objective.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »

Missions A: Vanguard Strike deployment.  Each player places one objective in their deployment zone(normal rules apply for placing objectives).  At the end of the game each of these objectives are worth 4 VPs if controlled. Place a single objective at the center of the table.  This is a Relic, follow all normal rules for the relic, except that it cannot be moved until turn 2.  The relic is worth 5 VPs if controlled at the end of the game.  First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.

Missions B: Hammer and Anvil deployment.  Each player places three objectives in their table half(normal rules apply for placing objectives).  Before deployment, after all objectives are placed, roll to randomly determine the VP value for each objective, each player will have one worth 2VPs, one worth 3VPs, and one worth 4VPs.  Controlling your own objectives are worth 1VP each at the end of the game.  Controlling your opponents objectives are worth the randomly determined value(2 or 3 or 4)VPs.     First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.  In this mission fast attack choices are considered scoring and yield 1VP if destroyed.

Missions D: Dawn of War deployment. Once table sides are determined, each player places 2 objectives.  These objectives are worth 3VPs each at the end of the game.  First Blood, Slay the warlord and line breaker are each worth 1 VP if achieved.  In this mission Heavy support choices are considered scoring and yield 1VP if destroyed.

Missions E: Vanguard Strike deployment.  Place three objectives along the (diagonal) center line.  Each of these objectives is a Relic.  At the beginning of turn 2. A randomly determined Relic is removed from the table(roll a d3).  Each remaining relic is worth 4VPs if controlled at the end of the game.

@Chase, Sticky?

I think having ALL missions be objectives might be an issue.  Random VP objectives are also an issue because there is a very real chance that one person is going to get the highest ones in his own deployment zone, and his opponent will literally have no chance to win unless he completely tables his opponent. 

Please read that mission again and let me know if it is still unclear what is happening.

Chancetragedy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »
Hah!  These missions are awesome. I do agree with typhus that a single Kill point game is probably welcome but I like all 5 missions too much to say which should go.  I'll be playing C, E, and B in that order this weekend.  And depending on what happens maybe I'll do a couple in depth batreps up for dakka/BG/whatever.  It's been a while since I've done one so it's overdue I think ;p

I'm interested to see how the relic missions work with flyers when you can't pick them up till turn 2.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
The game is not designed too well for KP missions to be a primary mission as some armies are not very killy at all, some armies are way too killy etc.  Its why very few events use KP as primary objective.

Keith the missions look solid obviously the fellas will do some testing for you over the next couple of months.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

andalucien

• God
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
I'm glad you kept the "Accumulating objective" mission for one of the games.  As I've often repeated, I wish all objectives were like that...
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 10:35:51 AM »
I'm glad you kept the "Accumulating objective" mission for one of the games.  As I've often repeated, I wish all objectives were like that...

It is my favorite.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:50 AM »
Also, for kill points... You guys have noticed that 2 missions have kill points right?  You can win those games by simply contesting objectives and killing stuff.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 10:52:34 AM »
Updated top post with feedback.  made slight changes to mission D.   Also, have an alternate for mission B.  Please play both and let me know which you prefer.

Tharcil

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
My only thought/ concern is that one mission allows for drastically more VP points than the rest of the missions and does not adhere to the sliding scale the rest do.  It is impossible to get more than 20 points for most scenarios, but entirely possible to get even double that in mission C.  Not impossible to hold 4 objectives for say 5 rounds (20 points) then get 10 more kill points than your opponent, net of 30 points...or does this one just cap at 20?

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 11:18:29 AM »
The game is not designed too well for KP missions to be a primary mission as some armies are not very killy at all, some armies are way too killy etc.  Its why very few events use KP as primary objective.

Keith the missions look solid obviously the fellas will do some testing for you over the next couple of months.

You could argue the same thing with cumulative missions or relic. For example, not every army has troops that can infiltrate or drop pod or whatever onto objectives/relics turn 1, so those armies do have an advantage in those missions.

With cumulative missions, not every army can reasonably get scoring units onto an objective for the end of each opponent turn. I'd recommend having either fast attack or heavy (or both, still yielding an extra VP) scoring in that mission. It really penalizes armies without particularly mobile troops or options to make them mobile.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »

You could argue the same thing with cumulative missions or relic. For example, not every army has troops that can infiltrate or drop pod or whatever onto objectives/relics turn 1, so those armies do have an advantage in those missions.

With cumulative missions, not every army can reasonably get scoring units onto an objective for the end of each opponent turn. I'd recommend having either fast attack or heavy (or both, still yielding an extra VP) scoring in that mission. It really penalizes armies without particularly mobile troops or options to make them mobile.

So make sure you score at least your two and contest the center.  Then kill stuff to win by KP.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
I don't really think it works that way, but I'll certainly play the mission and try it out. Just offering a suggestion to make that one less harsh for slower armies with squishier troops.