Author Topic: Tau & Eldar  (Read 7525 times)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
Re: Tau & Eldar
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
The main Tau weakness is they just don't have troops that are very durable, or very mobile.  But there are fixes for that. 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
The main Tau weakness is they just don't have troops that are very durable, or very mobile.  But there are fixes for that.

This is why i love the allies part of 6E, got a hole in your codex? plug it with something your army doesn't have access to.

I'm looking forward to trying out Tau and drop pod SM

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying out Tau and drop pod SM

Seems like it'll be a ton of fun.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

andalucien

• God
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 03:20:23 PM »
I am really amazed at how great the Tau book is, in terms of the creativity it promotes for building armies.  I mean, 6 months later people are STILL coming up with new ways to combine commanders and different loadoats of suits etc for maximum devastation.  Like, that Ripstar is just a very cool idea, and different from other usages of commander buffs I'd heard about.   

And then I heard an interview with Andrew Gonyo where he talked about another configuration... He gives his Broadside unit all Advanced Targeting, so that they can all split fire.  He takes the usual sort of non-firing Buff Commander. And then he buys the broadsides and the commander all Marker Drones instead of  missile drones.  So he has this invincible bunker of bs5 marker drones protected by 10 2+ save wounds, and he STILL gets the buffs for his broadside shooting. 

IMHO the TAU codex is clearly the best book GW has ever put out.   
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 03:41:41 PM »
SO you give them target locks, so they can split fire.  ANd he's essentially doing the same thing with his missile broadsides that I'm doing with my missile equipped crisis suits.  (also, I like to take the buff stuff on the sergeant, so I'm not wasting BS 5)

Broadsides are more durable, and put out a little bit more firepower (seriously, it's just a little, it's the same number of Twinlinked Str 7).  But mine is more mobile. 

All the marker drones are BS5 twinlinked, which is ridiculous.  I used to use 8, but I've found I never need more than 5. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »
"Step 1: Kill the skyrays..."  ...  kinda funny.  It's implies that everyone plays against Tau is like "Oh, derrrp! I forgot to just kill those two big vehicles that were lighting me up... that was where I went wrong". 
What I meant is players now may want to consider options for handling that AV 13 at long range, as a general list-building consideration.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:20 PM »
So sir prometheus, did you encounter anyone else with a similar unit? 
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2013, 08:51:31 PM »
"Step 1: Kill the skyrays..."  ...  kinda funny.  It's implies that everyone plays against Tau is like "Oh, derrrp! I forgot to just kill those two big vehicles that were lighting me up... that was where I went wrong". 
What I meant is players now may want to consider options for handling that AV 13 at long range, as a general list-building consideration.

Yeah, it's true.  It would also be handy for taking out all those Annihilation barges and wave serpents. 

It's hard to find that kind of thing in enough quantity though.  And if you do then you might hit the Tau guys that just run a bunch of little pathfinder squads instead (or the buffed marker drone thing). 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2013, 08:58:05 PM »

Yeah, it's true.  It would also be handy for taking out all those Annihilation barges and wave serpents. 

It's hard to find that kind of thing in enough quantity though.  And if you do then you might hit the Tau guys that just run a bunch of little pathfinder squads instead (or the buffed marker drone thing).

Wave serpents are my nemesis, i'm convinced you need firepower of this magnitude to destroy them outright

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2013, 09:06:07 PM »
So sir prometheus, did you encounter anyone else with a similar unit?

Which?  The missile marker light unit?  A few people do.  More people like to just buff a missile side unit and use that for almost everything.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
Whats everyones thoughts on farsight bomb? i've played only played against it once with SM libby for gate of infinity and shadowsun for her bonuses. I whittled it down pretty good to just Farsight and a couple suits with my IG but i see a lot of potential for it.

I'm hesitant to sink that many points in any one unit, especially since it's not even troops (assuming i'm interpreting the farsight supplement correctly in that he makes elite suits troops and not the bodyguards)

but loading it up with fusion and plasma and twin linking ignoring cover and splitting fire seems like a lot of fun, probably have to invest in a lot of drones as well

I'm just wondering if anyone saw a Farsight bomb at NOVA and how it performed

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
I had the idea a little bit ago that Dark Eldar might be worthy of a resurgence, at least as allies. They can bring some tools to deal with the 4 Riptide lists as well as Flying Circus lists. Dark Lances aren't bad at dealing with AV 13, sorry make that AV 12, at a distance either...

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 10:42:25 PM »
Whats everyones thoughts on farsight bomb? i've played only played against it once with SM libby for gate of infinity and shadowsun for her bonuses. I whittled it down pretty good to just Farsight and a couple suits with my IG but i see a lot of potential for it.

I'm hesitant to sink that many points in any one unit, especially since it's not even troops (assuming i'm interpreting the farsight supplement correctly in that he makes elite suits troops and not the bodyguards)

but loading it up with fusion and plasma and twin linking ignoring cover and splitting fire seems like a lot of fun, probably have to invest in a lot of drones as well

I'm just wondering if anyone saw a Farsight bomb at NOVA and how it performed

I played against a Farsight Bomb with Eldar Allies;

Farsight, Shadowsun, 7 Suits, 80 Billion Drones (so 25 models in the unit)
2x6 Fire Warriors
Farseer on a Bike
2x5 Bike Units
Wraithknight

I tabled it by turn 4.  He outflanked the Bomb, so first turn I blew the Wraithknight off table.   Bomb comes on and I spend 3 turns just putting fire into it while killing his seriously weak troops. 
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
Wave serpents are my nemesis, i'm convinced you need firepower of this magnitude to destroy them outright

Why kill them outright when you can just glance them to death?
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:48 PM »
I had the idea a little bit ago that Dark Eldar might be worthy of a resurgence, at least as allies. They can bring some tools to deal with the 4 Riptide lists as well as Flying Circus lists. Dark Lances aren't bad at dealing with AV 13, sorry make that AV 12, at a distance either...

I have a Eldar/DE list that's hilariously stupid hard to kill and can do terrible things to AV14 with 0 lances.