Author Topic: Tau & Eldar  (Read 7536 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Tau & Eldar
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
I figured a thread generating ideas to defeat Tau & Eldar would be a good thing right now.

Pat.H

• Paragon Tier Level 12
Re: Tau & Eldar
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 01:39:39 PM »
2 Shok Attack Guns an Aegis with a las cannon and as many lobbas and lootas as you can fit in then sit behind your Aegis and pray.
Should the miserable Grot crews survive for long they will soon become deafened and have to resort to a rudimentary system of sign language. This is rarely successful as there are only so many signs a Grot can carry around with him.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »
Tau -

Kill Markerlights

Eldar -

Kill Mobility.

That's really about it.  Tau are good because they can remove cover with ap FU weapons.  Kill all the markerlights and then they lose that ability (baring 1 unit, if they have a buff commander).  Eldar are cute, but without their wave serpents to carry them or bikes to zoom around, they can't really threaten you.

in objective missions, don't let the eldar player go last - he can then just sit in the back and zoom out last turn at 48" to contest objectives.

0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
I'm told the list that won NOVA ran 4 Riptides.  Aren't these new grav weapons a pretty strong counter to those big guys?

Edit:  It wasn't the dude who won.  That guy ran 2 Riptides.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 01:56:47 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

MM3791

• God
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
3 storm ravens + 3 storm talons= assault cannon profit

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Take away Tau marker lights is certainly going to help you the most, and i agree that Eldar are squishy and slow once they get out of their transports, Wave Serpants are tough nuts to crack at AV12, jink, cover saves, serpant shields, turning pens into glances, etc, etc

Grav weapons will be helpful for most MCs wounding on a 2 or 3+ but even though Space Marines are the only ones who get the fancy new grav weapons IMO your best bet for dealing with a high toughness MC is still Sternguard and Hellfire rounds

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
I'm told the list that won NOVA ran 4 Riptides.  Aren't these new grav weapons a pretty strong counter to those big guys?

Edit:  It wasn't the dude who won.  That guy ran 2 Riptides.

The dude that won  NOVA GT was 4 Riptides.  Dude that won NOVA Invitational was 2 Riptides.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »
Ah ha!

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:17 PM »
Ugh, I have to say, Tau are really eating my lunch right now.  At the NOVA GT, I won my first two rounds against CSM/Tau, then Tyranids, but then had my lunch money stolen 4 games in a row by interceptor spamming Tau (mostly riptides).  The closest game I had was, shockingly, against Alexander Fennel with his Tau/Eldar list.  Everybody else was cramming as many riptides as would fit in their list, and my poor Blood Angels can't handle 3 rounds (best case) of being shot at before getting a charge off (intercepted, shot at in their turn, overwatched by everyone in the army) with AP yousuck ignores cover ignores LOS ignores 40k ruleset guns.  The ONLY thing I did that even made a dent was make 2 riptides (with accompanying commanders and drones) run off the board with fear of the darkness turn 1.  That said, they had 2 more left..... and I'm dead :)
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 06:33:23 PM »
Ugh, I have to say, Tau are really eating my lunch right now.  At the NOVA GT, I won my first two rounds against CSM/Tau, then Tyranids, but then had my lunch money stolen 4 games in a row by interceptor spamming Tau (mostly riptides).

So let me get this straight Brad, a warhammer geek got his lunch money stolen by OTHER warhammer geeks? Weren't you like the tallest guy in the gaming hall!!! Speaking of which though "Brad's super awesome gaming club" is a pretty cool club name.

So what exactly is the strategy behind a 4 Riptide list? Blow everything to pieces and then have your troops run in from reserve to jump on objectives?

MM3791

• God
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
I have no sympathy for "poor blood angels". It just seems that the BA drop pod dreadnaughts, "assault& burn everything the turn they arrive".. has finally met their match.

Also I can't believe that there weren't more daemon players at NOVA, the Fatweaver with rerollable 2++  with 3 Tzeench Princes is a lot worse then the 4 riptide list.

Right now 6th ed rewards low model count monster mash lists because of how kill points are resolved. It really puts horde armies at a disadvantage because they basically give away free kill points.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
I have no sympathy for "poor blood angels". It just seems that the BA drop pod dreadnaughts, "assault& burn everything the turn they arrive".. has finally met their match.

Also I can't believe that there weren't more daemon players at NOVA, the Fatweaver with rerollable 2++  with 3 Tzeench Princes is a lot worse then the 4 riptide list.

Right now 6th ed rewards low model count monster mash lists because of how kill points are resolved. It really puts horde armies at a disadvantage because they basically give away free kill points.

You cast the book on one unit?  And every Tau player has skyfire and is not afraid of flying circus.  Hell, I faced a Triple Wraithknight List, a Dual Wraithknight List, 5 Wave Serpent spam lists, and a 25 model Tau Codex Farsight Bomb with Shadowsun. 

Nick Nanavati ran a Fate/FMC list in the invitational and failed 4 turns in a row with rerolls on the book and lost.  All it takes is one turn to fail the book (or not get 4++ on Div for your powers) and that army falls to pieces.

MM3791

• God
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 08:29:57 PM »
Fateweaver gets his 2++ from the grimore, not from psychic powers. He already has a 4++ so the grimore bumps him up to 2++.  He gets the save reroll because ALL daemons of tzeench can reroll saving throws of 1. The grimore will work virtually all the time because it is backed up by the staff of tomorrow.

One of the flying princes will hold the grimore and follow fateweaver because he can tank anything. And finally, all Lvl 3 tzeench monsters will dish out 4D6 S5 shooting attacks PER model. That is INSANELY powerful.

I'm not basing the game on one or two models but it does stack the game in it's favor by a large margin.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
I think 4x Riptide lists and 3x Wraith Knight lists are freaking awesome.  I bet it looks cool as hell, I just hope it doesn't end up completely destroying the metagame (which I'm sure it won't).

andalucien

• God
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 09:58:49 PM »
There were a lot of FMC lists at the Nova apparently.  Bill said in his blog that he played them 5 out of 6 games.  They just didn't end up topping Tau and Eldar.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.