Author Topic: NOVA results!  (Read 2257 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
NOVA results!
« on: September 02, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
http://app.torrentoffire.com/#/tournament/NOVA-Open-2013/leaderboard

Congrats to our local guys Matt Bennett and Sam Gould for placing in the top 25! Justin Cook came in 1st (glad it wasn't Kopach again after all the shadyness i've heard with him and Brandt)

I knew Tau and Eldar were going to do good but damn! Out of the top 10 there were...

3 Tau w/ Tau allies
2 Tau w/ Eldar allies
1 Tau w/ GK allies
1 pure Eldar
1 Eldar w/ Tau allies
1 Eldar w/ Dark Eldar allies
1 Necron w/ Ork allies

Looks like most of Dark Star ran into some bad luck, but they did win Trios!!!

andalucien

• God
Re: NOVA results!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
Wow... Ben Mohlie nearly had the comeback of the century.  Lost first round, and then wiped everyone else out and made it all the way to the finals before losing to Cook.  Plus, HE was the only guy in the top 10 not playing Tau or Eldar.  I'm a fan :)
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
OK but really, he was 10th... meaning... the top 9 were all eldar or Tau :(   Sigh....  GW can't seem to maintain the balance for very long.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:15:13 AM »
OK but really, he was 10th... meaning... the top 9 were all eldar or Tau :(   Sigh....  GW can't seem to maintain the balance for very long.

I'm very interested to see the lists, hopefully they get posted.

Tau and Eldar are pretty damn strong right now, Space Marines up next which while getting cheaper and therefore more competitive don't seem to have any "super units" like Riptides and Marker lights or Wave Serpents.

After that you've got Tyranids which look to be getting their psyhic powers changed it's to early and i don't know enough about nids to guess if they're going to be any good. After that Orks and IG, Orks look to be getting a revamp of how their pyshic powers work, not much on IG yet.

But all i'm sure of is Tau and Eldar will be strong for quite a while to come and DA is the clear short end of the 6th edition codex stick.

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »
Justin's list was RIPSTAR.  Farsight Enclave primary, Tau secondary.

Farsight
O'Vesa
Farsight Commander with 4d6" Deny The Witch Upgrade and some various weapon
3 Crisis Suit
1 Crisis Suit
1 Crisis Suit
Farsight Riptide with Burst Cannon and something
Farsight Riptide with Ion and something
2 Farsight Skyrays
Tau Commander with all the Buff Gear
2x10 Kroot

So you take Farsight, the Farsight Commander, the Tau Commander, Ovesa, and you stick them all with 1 Crisis suit.  The unit is predomindat Toughness 6 with 2 shield drones, 2+ armor saves, ability to shoot at two different units, hit and run, large blasts at ap2 that ignore cover and are twinlinked.

Problem is (and this is why he lost) is that the troops are super weak.  Aaron just killed all his troops and ran away from the shooting.

And hey!  I did good too!
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »
Jared, what did you end up running? Also, did it seem like the Eldar/Tau & Tau/Eldar lists were all pretty similar, or was there a lot of variety?

Ripstar does seem pretty dumb. :/

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Etheral
Buff Commander
2 Riptides with Ion.Fusion
3x9 FW
1x10 Kroot, Hound
2x6 Pathfinders
2x Skyray
3x Broadside with ALL THE MISSILES, 6 Missile Drones
Farseer
2x3 Bikes

Went 6-2 for the weekend, up to Bracket Champion. Lost to Tony Korpach and lost the champ game because I was tired, exhausted, and my brain just went to fast for my tactics to keep up and I made stupid mistakes.  Now I know better.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 03:45:40 PM »
Nice job, Jared.

It's really important for people to consider just how grueling these events are.  I'm not sure how you all do it for a whole (long) weekend.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 05:40:38 PM »
Nice job, Jared.

It's really important for people to consider just how grueling these events are.  I'm not sure how you all do it for a whole (long) weekend.

A lot of drugs

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
I probably shouldn't have played Sunday. Then I could've claimed only one minor loss to Kopach.   :/  Too tired, too hungover. 

I had Tau allied with Farsight Enclave.

1 Tau commander with two plasma rifles and all the tanking gear, (iridium, FNP, Shield Gen, etc)

1 3 man troop choice of Farsight plasma and fusion suits.

1 Farsight commander with missiles and Target lock, and two marker drones

1 reg crisis suit team with missiles, target locks, marker drones. 

The tanking commander goes with the farsight troops squad, and the missiles go with the missile commanders, got it?

Two Hammerheads, 1 Skyray

Riptide with the Earth Caste array, Ion, SMS, Early warning but no skyfire.

1 solo suit with twin linked fusion and flamer, counts as troops.

12 FW

20 Kroot with snipers and a dog

10 kroot just with dog. 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:07:28 AM »
I probably shouldn't have played Sunday. Then I could've claimed only one minor loss to Kopach.   :/  Too tired, too hungover. 

I had Tau allied with Farsight Enclave.

1 Tau commander with two plasma rifles and all the tanking gear, (iridium, FNP, Shield Gen, etc)

1 3 man troop choice of Farsight plasma and fusion suits.

1 Farsight commander with missiles and Target lock, and two marker drones

1 reg crisis suit team with missiles, target locks, marker drones. 

The tanking commander goes with the farsight troops squad, and the missiles go with the missile commanders, got it?

Two Hammerheads, 1 Skyray

Riptide with the Earth Caste array, Ion, SMS, Early warning but no skyfire.

1 solo suit with twin linked fusion and flamer, counts as troops.

12 FW

20 Kroot with snipers and a dog

10 kroot just with dog.

That's certainly a Tau list away from the meta but clearly it worked for you. How did the Hammerheads and the outflanking Kroot perform for you?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 10:52:45 AM »
It's away from the meta because the meta is all made of bandwagon Tau players, and I'm an old time Tau player.  :).

Hammerheads are awesome.  Big blasts to kill troops, Str 10 to kill vehicles, lots of range.  With sensor spines, can go to top of hills for better LOS opportunities.  (main problem with the missile sides everyone wants to take is that you can stay out of their range.  This is especially easy as a Tau player.)

Outflanking Kroot were good.  Less good against Tau, ironically, since intercepting SMS will take you out easy.  The sniper kroot were excellent, definitely won me some games.

I want to try adding Krotox, see how they'll do.