Author Topic: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread  (Read 35609 times)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
Re: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2008, 01:39:39 PM »
I like that idea, having your team approve the custom data sheet or an existing one helps cut down on the choas of the opposing team arguing over 15 data sheets a week before the game.

We should also probably think about having an informal leader on each side.  I say informal so no one feels the responsibility for the team, but rather just someone you can bring something too.  Kinda like Dike D. did for us last year.

O, and Riley brought up a good point last night. Named characters should be limited to one of each.  Like Marius cannot lead the ultra marines with the help of his twin brother marius.  lol.

Warpedfuzz

• Paragon Tier Level 16
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »
Both are great points and I agree completely. If you have the support of your team for a custom datasheet, than you can let the other team agree to it , or not. There's some really balanced customs out there I've seen.

And the named characters are actually in a codex, or two I'm sure. Atleast w/ Eric and I; we'll have to talk as to which Dark Angels we will have running our army. I know it's in our codex about only having one named character.

One question I am curious about though are characters, or monsters w/ just unreal powers.Example are the masters of the chapter, which cost a pretty good amount.   Is it do-able for more than one imperial player to use them? Say I bring mine and Micah uses some for his bloods. That'd greatly upset the assests. Technicially it'd be different chapters and do-able, but somehow it just adds alot to the fight to keep track of.What are others thoughts on this?
~ Lead, follow, or get the HELL out of my way! ~

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2008, 09:49:02 PM »
we had two masters of the chapter data sheets in use last year.  Micah and his buddy from new york.  I really can't see an arguement for making a ruling only one player can take that data sheet as long as its different chapters. 

One good reason to allow it, gives chaos one thing to shout back when Order yells cheese on our super heavies.  lol

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:23 PM »
im not so sure how i feel about the "all superheavies start on the table" idea. whoever gets first turn nukes the other sides superheavies, as evidenced in the last megabattle when i lost a reaver and a warhound titan without either one getting a single kill. it ruins the fun for people who spend alot of time making huge, awesome models and then having to watch them immediately go down in flames.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 12:04:41 AM »
I'd say that the idea of Super heavies on the table is going to change the dynamic of the game. There's nothing like have SH in reserve and coming on to helps save the day. I find myself having to side with Paul on that one.

Sheesh, what is the world coming to?

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2008, 12:24:41 AM »
well not to be a downer, but In the mega battle last year my stompa survived the game and Ron's pylon didn't drop till like turn three thanks to some lucky rolls from the thunderhawk.

I know what your saying but in all fairness, we need to find a happy medium.  I know rich suggested a classification of titans.  Like a warhound being a lower level titan or the baneblade, maybe they could use something to come in late but the reavers or even an emporer would be able to be seen coming from so far away enemy artillery would blast it.  So deploying it first turn should be a happy medium.

I know the data sheet for the trigon involves it deep striking but it is unable to charge the turn it comes in, its ravener back up may charge but those are normal game units not really to upsetting..  So thats like deploying it with a giant bulls-eye on its butt.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2008, 12:33:15 AM »
What is to stop a reaver or warlord titan from flank marching?

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2008, 01:50:34 AM »
What is to stop a reaver or warlord titan from flank marching?

Love is, Rich, love is.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2008, 03:39:43 AM »
its true

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »
And what if we get into a spat the night before? HMMMMMMM?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »
Ok, so a tier based system for superheavies was talked about a little before Rob brought his emotions to the table.

Shamelessly stolen from a certain afeinman-
Class 1: not-quite-super, like the Malcadors. Things with 2 or fewer structure points, no "big" guns. Essentially the same as 2 tanks. I barely count these.
Class 2: 'lesser' superheavies, like Baneblades. 3-4 structure points, one "big" gun plus a bunch of other guns. As useful as a tank company for some, more like an artillery company plus a few infantry squads for others.
Class 3: 'greater' superheavies, like Scout Titans, Hierodules, etc. Multiple "big" guns, 3-6 structure points+shields, etc. More effective than a tank company; dominate the battlefield, but you have a hope of killing them.
Class 4: 'ridiculous' superheavies: 6+ structure points or 8+ wounds, many big guns, usually >1000 points, like Warlord Titans. These are game-changers, completely dominating the battlefield in every way, and nearly unkillable except by concentrated class 3 or class 4 fire.

Now, now superheavies fall into these tiers nicely and obviously where as some do not.  A plague tower for instance is killy but nowhere near as terrifying as a warhound.

We could tailor the starts on the board along these lines although it seems like splitting hairs and I do think the opposition should have a good swing at the superheavies from the get go.

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2008, 07:28:05 PM »
ok what if I just deploy my superheavies first turn and everyone else can hid their's if they wish.  But in return all players have to give me high fives and tell me how cool my stuff is.  Do this and I shall promise not to cry over the junk piles they have been shot to after the enemies shooting phase.

;)

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2008, 09:09:53 PM »
I've long been a proponent of having all superheavies start on the table (where applicable -- things like thunderhawks don't really count). On the other hand, I suppose there is something to be said about keeping an ace up your sleeve...

How about this: Each side may keep a maximum of 2 superheavies/gargantuan creatures in reserve, which includes superheavies like thunderhawks even though they would be in reserve anyways.

Mike D.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2008, 10:01:40 PM »
Well, I guess that screws up the disorder side.  :P

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2008, 10:13:54 PM »
Okay I need to understand something here.

Why don't people want super heavies in reserve?

I just don't understand the problem. The game is designed to work with a bunch of stuff not on the table so that this would this be a problem.

If I'm missing something maybe I'll be more inclined to agree.

Cheers,
A
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)