Author Topic: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread  (Read 35527 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Bigger, better, stronger? Unnofficial Annual Megabattle Hype Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2008, 07:57:52 PM »
There is a preliminary table design in the works.

The Megabattle table (in its current form, subject to large amounts of change) is a river senario involving a bridge and a large lake.  The table is going to be "U" shaped instead of "H" shaped with the bridge itself being on the table that connects the longer "legs."
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2008, 09:50:16 PM »
Here is an example of what we've been talking about as a table theme/concept. It's early, and this may change 5,000 times, but at least it's a starting point that addresses some of the changes that people said they would like to see (less cityscape buildings, more openness, a huge bridge, etc.).

Ideas or features that you'd like to see on the table are more than welcome. This discussion has been very productive so far.

As you can see, the image contains spacing for 30 people (last year we had 23), and it looks doable. 30 people at 3500 pts would make a total of 105,000 points. This would beat last year by 7 people and almost 30,000 points.

"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Commissar Grey

• God
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »

Well as i don't have any super heavies to begin with, I'm not too worried about it.  That's a good point though, about troops being the only units to occupy objectives.   I also all for making a bridge scenario.  I could use all the help i can get, ahem...John.  Let our terrain making skills unite! 

Ryan

Ryan,
   Sounds like a bridge will be in order for the Megabattle.  We could work on it together.  I have an idea I would like to discuss with you.  Towers, flying buttresses and all things Gothic.

John

The_Chef

• Epic Tier Level 21
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
So at what point do we break down to our respective teams to discuss really really preliminary plans?  I know i have an asset and a datasheet in mind.
I do have a problem with Vulcan twin-linking every non-UltraMarine whatever-gun on the table.
Thank you for this Chase

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »
Data sheets, ooo goody goody!

Team break out might be a bit early but I know that 105k points is gonna be ruckus as will all the titantic loving from elsa's daemon army, um I mean Rich's Daemon Army...

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2008, 10:22:44 PM »
The gods care little for who brings the pain, or pays for it.  ;)

Jonathan

• God
  • Of what should I be God?
    • CWF Game Cast
« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2008, 02:36:30 AM »
The map looks pretty sweet but I've a question.  I know I'm not playing but it seems to me like there may be a lacking of cover in the bottom portions of the table.  Those oval shapes I'm guessing are hills and that's all well and good.  But, there's a lot of wide open spaces too.

Does that pose a major issue for players?  Will there be other terrain, not shown, on the table such as trees, bocage, craters, etc?

Here is an example of what we've been talking about as a table theme/concept. It's early, and this may change 5,000 times, but at least it's a starting point that addresses some of the changes that people said they would like to see (less cityscape buildings, more openness, a huge bridge, etc.).

Ideas or features that you'd like to see on the table are more than welcome. This discussion has been very productive so far.

As you can see, the image contains spacing for 30 people (last year we had 23), and it looks doable. 30 people at 3500 pts would make a total of 105,000 points. This would beat last year by 7 people and almost 30,000 points.

You game. I blog. CWF Game Cast | www.wargamingforums.com

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."-Sherlock Holmes

Opforce3

• God
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2008, 03:54:28 AM »
who needs cover? man up people!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

"Doin' what I can with what I got."
-Burt Gummer

6/4/11 NEVER FORGET

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »
Considering that even other troops give cover, I have a feeling there'll be more 4+ cover saves on that map than there were in the last megabattle.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2008, 12:37:46 PM »
cover is nice and all but considering the amount of units that people are gonna field.  We have to be realistic, we don't want all the swarm armies sitting on each other.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2008, 01:36:11 PM »
actually I'm okay with swarm armies sitting on each other. It's what they do.

And of course I have the pie plates to serve up swarm stew....

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2008, 02:36:42 PM »
There will be plenty of cover. I have some plans for things I'd like to build on the two lower "legs" of the table: a great BIG tower on each side. Also, there will be some forested areas. One other item of note is that those hills on the map are really, really big; remember that each rectangle on the table represents a 4 x 6 table. Those hills will function as cover if we build them close to that size.

D.
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Commissar Grey

• God
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2008, 09:57:53 PM »
There will be plenty of cover. I have some plans for things I'd like to build on the two lower "legs" of the table: a great BIG tower on each side. Also, there will be some forested areas. One other item of note is that those hills on the map are really, really big; remember that each rectangle on the table represents a 4 x 6 table. Those hills will function as cover if we build them close to that size.

D.

I offer my services for terrain making again.  Let me know what you need done and when you want to start production.

John

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: July 27, 2008, 01:37:01 AM »

D.

Considering the immense size of those hills, I would love to see things on the hills themselves.  Bunkers and buildings to trenches, I think it would be awesome for the hills to house their own fortifications.  Not being that much into the terrain building, though, I don't know how much of an undertaking that would be.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #134 on: July 27, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »

D.

Are we talking a Mt Suribachi here?