Author Topic: Where's the Beef?  (Read 2270 times)

Battleground

• Store Owner
  • Dungeon Master
  • Epic Tier Level 25
  • DMing since 1983
    • Battleground Games & Hobbies
    • Email
Where's the Beef?
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:32 PM »
So, we are very close to our 500 point 40K tournament in Abington and we've only had about 11 people sign up. Four of those sign ups are people from Canada. A few others are from Plainville and only about two are from Abington.

Lots of the Abington community had asked for an event like this and here we are, near to the event, and entries have been few.

I won't beat around the bush. This message is aimed at guilting you into signing up. :)

Weekends are a pretty big deal for both stores, and there are only so many open weekends for us to fill. If the Abington community is not interested in larger, coordinated events, that's okay, but that just means the events will be held at the Plainville location in the future.

If you DO plan on playing in the event, and you just haven't gotten around to signing up yet, please do so. Otherwise, we may cancel this event. It seems possible that the painting requirement had deterred a few people from entering, so we've removed that criteria. To sign up, please e-mail me at derek@battlegroundgames.com or chase at chaselaq@gmail.com.

The 500 point tournaments are extremely fast and fun and tend to run more smoothly than the larger scale events. I know there are a sizable number of Abington 40K players, and that the community has been under-served prior to the move to the new space. With the new store, our opportunities for big events has really opened up, and I'm looking forward to hosting more large events to serve the players up this way.

As an added incentive, I am offering one free double-high-five to one random player in the event. A second player will win a single high-five. Third player gets fist bump. Everyone else will get a complimentary, "You-da-man!" (or "You-da-lady" as applicable).
"The final word, then, is the game." - Gary Gygax

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Where's the Beef?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:17:28 PM »
Where's the like button?
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 11:31:16 PM »
It seems possible that the painting requirement had deterred a few people from entering, so we've removed that criteria.

I thought it wise to reiterate this point.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »
I would be interested to hear what effect you guys generally see on sign-ups when painting requirements.  I guess I only really ever see one or two guys at a tournament with mostly unpainted armies, a few others (myself, often) have a couple half painted units they're still working on.  SO I guess it seems to me like only those 1 or 2 guys wouldn't sign up?

Maybe it's just cuz Abington hasn't had a 500 pt tournament?  The Plainville 500 pointers have been pretty gangbusters. 

King of the Elves

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 01:07:17 AM »
I don't eat red meat so I guess I can't play. Great job Derek, you just lost one of your Abington 40K regulars because of a senseless thread title. Good luck in your silly 500 point event.... Jerk.*

*I have decided I will play, but I shall reply to your "You-da-man!" with "Meat is Murder". Enjoy that; carnivore.

King of the Elves

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 01:10:45 AM »
On a serious note I will be playing, but I might not be able to send my list in ASAP. I have a weekend retreat thing so I won't have internet. But I will be playing. Make that 3 Abingtoners

IG Dan

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 01:28:33 AM »
Sadly the U.S. government has told me I need to spend the weekend in another state, otherwise I'd have turned out for this. But at least I'll get paid, eventually.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
The timing for this Tournament is just bad for me atm. I have a Wedding to attend 2 weeks after it and I haven't gotten a Confirmation from work about having either day off but it looks like I am only going to get one so it needs to be for the wedding.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Battle-Bruvah Sillynoah

• Heroic Tier Level 5
  • Alfa Legion, 11th company
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »
If i can hastily build a 500 point army on friday, then
You have my axe!
Club Affiliation: The Alfa Legion
Where I play: Abington

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 01:45:41 PM »
While I'm in favor of a painting requirement (especially when it is only 500 points), I'd rather see the requirement dropped to get more people involved.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:16 PM »
Come on guys!   Literally this will be the first 40k games I have played in about 6 weeks.... don't tell me I freed this baby-free day for nothing....
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 03:49:19 PM »
Matt, It's not 40k when you bring 3 helldrakes in 500 pts.  That's like, I dunno, role-playing mowing your lawn, or something.  :D

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 03:56:43 PM »
That's like, I dunno, role-playing mowing your lawn, or something.  :D

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
Also, in related news:

3 Hell Drakes is not a combo (2 Flyrants, neither).

andalucien

• God
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 05:43:22 PM »
Haha.... it was actually my plan to bring a "balanced" list this time, or at least one without a single model that uses up over half of the points in my army...
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.