Author Topic: Tau commander Question  (Read 1269 times)

Grand Master Steve

Tau commander Question
« on: April 12, 2013, 06:48:19 PM »
Ok Since a Commander is labeled as Infintry, Jump pack, does this mean i can stick a commander with a unit of fire warriors so they can benefit from things such as: Command and Control Node, Multi Spectrum Sensor Suite?

Vincent

Re: Tau commander Question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
It's worded, 'in his unit' benefits from the Multi Spectrum and Command control node so if its a IC that joins, I'd have so say yes, but I'm no expert.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
i guess what im meaning is can he join a unit of fire warriors in the first place and not be singled out since he is also infantry and not a MC?

SkavenSlave

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:02:01 PM »
That's how we always played it. He can join any infantry unit since he is classified Infantry. The suit size is just an inconvenient scale issue. I was expecting some possible clarification on this issue in this codex release, but that alas that clarity is not there.

Now, I see the wording has changed so that he is Jet Pack Infantry, while Fire Warriors are just plain Infantry.  That could be the clarification - need to check the main rule book as to unit type mixing.

Yeah just checked, no problem joining any other units (other than restriction on vehicle units).
So still can't really be singled out either, not that it matters much anymore in this edition, with the way wound allocations work now.

MarkG
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:13:34 PM by SkavenSlave »

jesterofthedark

• God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 10:06:08 PM »
Barring the jump pack infantry clarification the size issue is just aesthetics, case in point look at the CSM characters that wear terminator armor.  The base size is larger but they can still join infantry squads due to their unit type.

I still think he can join the unit just not benefit from any of the special abilities granted from his jump pack rules due to the fact that he would have to use the units form of movement to stay with them.

SkavenSlave

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 10:15:03 PM »
Barring the jump pack infantry clarification the size issue is just aesthetics, case in point look at the CSM characters that wear terminator armor.  The base size is larger but they can still join infantry squads due to their unit type.

I still think he can join the unit just not benefit from any of the special abilities granted from his jump pack rules due to the fact that he would have to use the units form of movement to stay with them.

Yes, that is correct on the abilities issue.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:18:30 PM »
With a few exceptions, all the Tau characters can join whatever unit they like.

You can join them to the Riptide, even. 

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »
well further into that can a tau commander be singled out in shooting if hes with a unit of fire warriors? Or is that an older rule?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 04:48:24 PM »
He gets a Look out sir same as any other character. 

There's even a special rule that for the crisis bodyguard units that any IC automatically passes LoS! rolls.

Guys, it's not really any different than a terminator, jetpack, or even bike marine IC joining a regular marine unit.  In all cases it is legal. 

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
thats exactly what i was looking for! I want to use a commander with a Fire Warrior team in low point games and in higher point ones give him body guards

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
Take shadow sun attach her to a squad of firewarriors and put them behind an aegis for a 2+ cover save :)
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »
im not a huge fan of Shadow Sun mostly because of her shorter range and she seems to work better with Stealth suits

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 07:11:56 PM »
18' fusion blasters not bad and she has the extra thrust warlord trait. I was looking at her for a drone hq but she doesn't have a drone controller
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 07:14:43 PM »
oh so her Fusion blasters have some more reach? didnt know that. I was thinking of my commander with Twin Burst cannons for range, a Fusion Blaster cause ya never know when you need to bust a tank open, and a shield array, and command and control node so he sits with fire warriors and buffs them.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 07:25:35 PM »
All fusion blasters are 18 now :)