Author Topic: Tau codex interpretation  (Read 4887 times)

SkavenSlave

Re: Tau codex interpretation
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »
Actually, specifically it does.  Things that have skyfire, but don't have interceptor, have to snapfire at ground targets (skimmers I think actually count as both).  The way usually get around this is they say you may "choose to fire skyfire" essentially shooisng whether you have that ability, or not, each turn.   Please note you actually usually have to declare that at the beginning of the shooting phase.

Velocity trackers appear to have the latter option, specifically stated. A model with a velocity tracker can choose to have the sky fire special rule each time he makes a shooting shooting attack (choose once for all weapons ).

Vincent

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 06:51:19 PM »
Going through forums i see people slaping Velocity trackers willy nilly on broad sides and the rip tide. So if i take a Velocity Tracker I can only snap fire at ground targets? Or are you saying i can declare it is using Skyfire and can only snap fire when i make that decleration?
When you make a shooting attack and you have the velocity tracker you can choose if you have skyfire. I read this to mean if you have more than one weapon, you can choose one to have skyfire and the other not too. As it has in () that you choose one for all weapons. I read that as a example not the rule.
They specify shooting attack, so each weapon is a separate shooting attack?

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 06:57:39 PM »
that make the suits so much better Tau dont need fliers to deal with other fliers. The Codex Fliers seem like crap to me just as bad as the Dark Angel ones. The Forge World Flyer looks cooler and is soooo much better

SkavenSlave

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 07:05:09 PM »
Going through forums i see people slaping Velocity trackers willy nilly on broad sides and the rip tide. So if i take a Velocity Tracker I can only snap fire at ground targets? Or are you saying i can declare it is using Skyfire and can only snap fire when i make that decleration?
When you make a shooting attack and you have the velocity tracker you can choose if you have skyfire. I read this to mean if you have more than one weapon, you can choose one to have skyfire and the other not too. As it has in () that you choose one for all weapons. I read that as a example not the rule.
Once you choose skyfire or not, all weapons on the suit choose that option. That is pretty clear in the write up for the velocity tracker.
However, an overwatch shot is a separate phase, so you can choose again.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 07:09:07 PM »
then thats 20pts well spent on a broad side or a Super Fuc....I mean a Rip Tide

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »

even if the unit has the split fire rule i think the whole unit is still subject to skyfire or not skyfire you can't pick and choose.

as far as a model shooting at two seperate targets the only things i'm aware that can do that are super heavies or something with power of the machine spirit. is that what the multitracker does?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:17:55 PM by PhoenixFire »

SkavenSlave

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 07:24:43 PM »

even if the unit has the split fire rule i think the whole unit is still subject to skyfire or not skyfire you can't pick and choose.

as far as a model shooting at two seperate targets the only things i'm aware that can do that are super heavies or something with power of the machine spirit

On part 1, a target lock looks to be an exception for that. The velocity tracker specifically says "a model with a velocity tracker..."

Correct on the second paragraph. I don't see any current Tau gear that allows a single model to shoot at two different targets.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
Not as big as i was thinking. Still want to see it next to a dreadknight though.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
some how i was imaginging something a tad bigger to. I think the Knight will be smaller

Vincent

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2013, 10:07:46 PM »
I was expecting i dunno at least near big base width.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »
and the skyray. 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 01:52:52 PM »
Hey so i was looking at the GW site today and saw this cool side by side of all the tau models on the same page.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws//home.jsp?_requestid=1026907

It looks like (what i think is the new Broadside model) is now on a dreadnought base.

was it before? or was it a termie base before like the other suits?

i know people have run into this back in the olden days when terminators change from 25mm to 40mm bases.

I'm just wondering what the ruling will be on this, i know if i want to assault a broadside that is jumping around every inch counts.... (thats what she said)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 02:24:39 PM »
It was on a termie base.

Notably, my FW crisis suits came with dreadnought bases.  So I'm going to be playing some of crisis suits on Dreadnought bases, and some of my broadsides on Termie bases (I have a FW one, I think it came on the big base too).

Why?  Cuz that's what they came with. 

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 03:03:14 PM »
It was on a termie base.

Notably, my FW crisis suits came with dreadnought bases.  So I'm going to be playing some of crisis suits on Dreadnought bases, and some of my broadsides on Termie bases (I have a FW one, I think it came on the big base too).

Why?  Cuz that's what they came with.

Sigh.  Just say "Cuz I am Teh Bennett!" 

If they are the same unit, they should be on the same base now, regardless if you bought them in 1345 and they were on a segway.  Most recent base for a unit is appropriate.   Unique FW models go on what they came with. 

If you feel like you need to pre-emptively explain it, you just should do the right thing instead.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
I really don't think so.  People use the old tiny-based avatar all the time.  Carnifex converted tervigons, too.

It's not like it's a modeling for advantage thing, it's a lazy thing.  Just because GW decided they wanted to sell bigger, more expensive models does not mean I have to go crazy trying to rebase stuff. 

Actually, now that I think about, I think I actually stuffed my FW broadside on a smaller (termie) sized scenic base.  So, they're all on the same base.  But I'm not going to change them out for bigger ones. 

When I do scenic bases for my FW Crisis suits maybe I'll put them on a smaller base -- IF they fit. 

This all has very little game effect, anyway.  Base size for a Broadside essentially never matters, and it matters for a crisis suit only rarely.