Author Topic: Tau codex interpretation  (Read 4904 times)

SkavenSlave

Tau codex interpretation
« on: April 08, 2013, 12:12:31 AM »
Ok, trying to see how my current list and equipment falls in line pont wise with the new codex.

Am I understanding it correctly that a drone controller is not needed by anyone that can take drones, and that a drone controller is only needed if I want the drone to have a better BS, ie the BS of the controller. That would mean a drone controller is not necessary at all for shield drones.

Does that sound like the correct interpretation?

MarkG

Grand Master Steve

Re: Tau codex interpretation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:01 AM »
My question is how do shield drones work?

Vincent

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »
If you have a IC with drones since the IC is controlling them the drones use that persons BS instead of it's own. If they are controlled via drone controller, they use that model that is controlling it's BS instead of it's own. If more than one, use highest BS. P. 68

I'd probably use a HQ suit and bodyguards with drone controllers and drones as a example. All the drones if they were gun/missile drones would use the HQ's BS is how I read that.

As my understanding how would allocation works in 6th, if you have a Model with wounds that would instakill it, you can designate wounds on the shield drone. Such as 1 model, 2 shield drones (assuming your shield drones are in front). You have 4 instakill wounds. Designate them on 1 drone. Roll, if successful continue till fail, designate rest on the 2nd shield drone. It's like putting a terminator in front to soak up hits as a tactic I've been told people use a lot.

Though It's important as it's new that if the model controlling the drones dies the drones just don't disappear anymore. If a IC with drones joins a group and the IC dies the drones stay and cannot leave. If the IC is killed and not with a group and drones survive.  Another IC can attach them to his group. I'm assuming he's within coherency to do so, but cannot take those drones into a group as they are not his P. 33. I assume the IC can still use them though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:29:25 AM by Vincent »

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 09:55:57 AM »
Has anyone found network marker lights in the codex? It's mentioned in the wargear but I don't see anywhere. It use to be the drone marker lights were networked.

I'm liking the idea of a drone commander on paper have to see how it works on the battle field.

I also like how you can take 3 of one weapon now (this was prohibited in the last 'dex). Thinking Twin-flamer/flamer or twin-plasma/plasma might start making appearances. Thankfully my suits are magnetized.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 12:10:09 PM by jhobin »
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
Isn't there a rule that any model (suits, anyway) can LoS! onto a drone with no check? 

SkavenSlave

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 01:27:01 PM »
If you have a IC with drones since the IC is controlling them the drones use that persons BS instead of it's own. If they are controlled via drone controller, they use that model that is controlling it's BS instead of it's own. If more than one, use highest BS. P. 68
I don't think that is quite correct. Nothing in the rules says that an IC without a drone controller will  confer the IC's BS to the drone. It seems pretty clear after reading all the sections that a drone controller is required to transfer the BS, as per P. 68. I do not see any exceptions anywhere else (yet).

SkavenSlave

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 01:34:15 PM »
My question is how do shield drones work?

They look to be just another member of the unit, at the cost of the shield drone, with the sole purpose of providing a 4+ invulnerable save.
I don't know about the instakill aspect being mentioned above, but as a member of the unit, the drone would provide a look out sir option.

This provides pretty much the same protection as in the old rules, but without having a special rule describing all that.

MarkG
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:33:49 PM by SkavenSlave »

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
I think I understand. So If i Have a fire Warrior Fire Line and take a shield Drone, the Drone will need to be up front to soak up the wound allocation until it fails. Then the allocation starts to hit the fire warriors once the drone pops.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 03:36:17 PM »
also im trying to fogure out how a Velocity Tracker works. When you give it to a suit does the suit ONLY sky fire or can it shoot ground units as normal and opt to sky fire?

SkavenSlave

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 05:40:11 PM »
also im trying to fogure out how a Velocity Tracker works. When you give it to a suit does the suit ONLY sky fire or can it shoot ground units as normal and opt to sky fire?

I don't have the codex with me at work  ::), but I do believe that anything that adds the option of skyfire, does not limit you to skyfire, it just gives you the option to do so if you need to do so.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »
Actually, specifically it does.  Things that have skyfire, but don't have interceptor, have to snapfire at ground targets (skimmers I think actually count as both).  The way usually get around this is they say you may "choose to fire skyfire" essentially shooisng whether you have that ability, or not, each turn.   Please note you actually usually have to declare that at the beginning of the shooting phase. 

Vincent

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 06:17:20 PM »
I don't think that is quite correct. Nothing in the rules says that an IC without a drone controller will  confer the IC's BS to the drone. It seems pretty clear after reading all the sections that a drone controller is required to transfer the BS, as per P. 68. I do not see any exceptions anywhere else (yet).
Sorry if I was unclear, but I never intended to suggest that a IC without a drone controller would infer BS. The example was a IC with a done controller. Controlling a drone without a controller, MADNESS!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 06:26:15 PM by Vincent »

SkavenSlave

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
Controlling a drone without a controller, MADNESS!
True for drones intended to be used offensively, lovely point savings if intending to use shield drones.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 06:37:38 PM »
Going through forums i see people slaping Velocity trackers willy nilly on broad sides and the rip tide. So if i take a Velocity Tracker I can only snap fire at ground targets? Or are you saying i can declare it is using Skyfire and can only snap fire when i make that decleration?

Vincent

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 06:38:26 PM »
Has anyone found network marker lights in the codex? It's mentioned in the wargear but I don't see anywhere. It use to be the drone marker lights were networked.
Networked marker lights P. 69, left side, starting at middle. Right next to the Big blue Markerlight entry on P. 68. It does appear that as P.33 Marker drones do not get Networked markerlight as wargear, and thus can not use their own markerlights.
The only unit that I'm seeing with Networked Markerlights is the fliers.