Author Topic: Did anyone from Battlegrounds Compete in the 40k Pax Tournament?  (Read 664 times)

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
As the Title Said I am just curious.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Did anyone from Battlegrounds Compete in the 40k Pax Tournament?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
I'd like to know more (that is, anything) about the tournament.

King of the Elves

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
I saw bits and pieces of it in action, some nice armies. But what I would like to know is, was it just for fun, or was there any prize pool?

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:24 PM »
It was very casual as far as I was told and a Medal was handed to the winners not an actual prize like cash or models. A friend of a friend of mine took 3rd in the tournament supposedly and another person was bragging about how his store The Whiz had taken 1st and 3rd.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Chancetragedy

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:51:18 AM »
Someone from the whiz took first place for sure I don't know about prizes. I also don't know of anyone else from there that played though. It seemed very relaxed and fun though.

GrimSnik

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:53:04 AM »
I played as the Ringer for this event and i had quite a good time. it was 1500 points and 90 minutes per round which went surprisingly smooth. there was no painting requirement, and all but one of the armies was comlpetely painted. a lot of the expo attendees enjoyed seeing the games/models and got to learn about the hobby, so it was a nice bit of showcasing as well. even had a few folks say they will ring their army next year. this has been going on now for a few years and the participation has steadily increased
from 4 players the first year to 10 this year.

and a lot of folks asked about the ice table, so i made sure to tell them about Battleground games and pointed them toward the B.G. booth.  ;)  ;)  :)

lastly i will say that i do not normally go to conventions and found the 40K event to be a nice island of calm in the midst of all that was going on as the players are focused on the game and as there are only 2 people per table, provides priceless breathing room in such a crowded place.  ;D  ;D

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »
I am almost positive that none of our guys played in the 40k event at all.

Matt Bennett mentioned the 40k tournament there and mentioned that he'd rather spend his time at the convention seeing the convention over playing 40k.  I certainly understand that.

Sam Butler (from the 'Arvard 'Ard Boyz and Pandy) puts on the event.  The DakkaDakka tournament post is here. 
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Battle-Bruvah Sillynoah

• Heroic Tier Level 5
  • Alfa Legion, 11th company
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:49:14 PM »
I am almost positive that none of our guys played in the 40k event at all.

Matt Bennett mentioned the 40k tournament there and mentioned that he'd rather spend his time at the convention seeing the convention over playing 40k.  I certainly understand that.

Sam Butler (from the 'Arvard 'Ard Boyz and Pandy) puts on the event.  The DakkaDakka tournament post is here. 
Yea... sorry about that... i was already spending just about every dollar i owned for Warhammmer 40K so that its tournament ready, let alone PAX tickets...
Club Affiliation: The Alfa Legion
Where I play: Abington

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 02:26:21 AM »
No need to apologize.  I'm not worried about our guys playing in a 40k event at PAX.

The convention is about all sorts of other stuff.  I'd like to think there's ample opportunity to play 40k for the people that might read this.  There's just one PAX East a year.  ;)

I think Matt Bennett was right on with his assessment.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:18:30 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

GrimSnik

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »
almost all of the fellows who played did so for one of 2 reasons: they live in an area where there is no easily accessible store and so tournament play is a rarity, or they were meeting friends who live a distance away.  for folks without a local community of gamers, it is a once-a-year opportunity to participate at a somewhat more than casual level. this is also the case for some folks at the Da' Boyz GT and Adepticon. which will be a nice thing when Battleground is able to run it's own GT as it will give  folks like this another option.  :)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
I thought those might be reasons. Where do most of the players live?

GrimSnik

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
 some from western MA, some from NH or ME, and some from outside new england.