Author Topic: Inat FAQ Question: Necron Command Barge  (Read 1961 times)

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
Inat FAQ Question: Necron Command Barge
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »
Inat FAQ Question.  As I understand it INAT FAQ is used at BG tournaments.  So on page 73 of the FAQ entry:NEC62.A.01 "Q: Can ‘Mind in the Machine’ be used while Anrakyr is embarked on a Command Barge? A: No. ‘Mind in the Machine’ is a (non-psychic power) special rule that requires line of sight, which means it cannot be used when embarked on a vehicle [clarification]. Ref: GK.45F.03, NEC.61B.01, SW.53C.02"
However the Command Barge is open topped, and I thought that all passengers have LOS for shooting, so why does that not apply in this case?  The clarification gives only other examples of vehicles in general, not where the rule comes from.  Can someone point to me the rule that if you have a special (non-psychic) power that requires line of sight, you can not use it from a vehicle. Even if it has fire points that give line of sight or is open topped.
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
Re: Inat FAQ Question: Necron Command Barge
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
P.S. sorry if this has already been covered, I may have just missed it.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »
INAT doesn't exist in 6th ed, that's from 5th ed.  There was a GW faq saying that you couldn't fire an ability through a firing point, adn tehre was much debate as to whether that applied to open topped vehicles, and that was what they were clarifying.

There's been no such restriction mentioned in 6th ed--meaning that yes, he probably can use the power.

My view on it is that it's just a little silly if he can't, so there you are.  (RATSB)

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:05:16 PM »
"There's been no such restriction mentioned in 6th ed--meaning that yes, he probably can use the power."
Thanks, sounds good to me.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:32:48 PM »
I would actually say that no, he can't do it.   A character in a vehicle only has line of sight to other models that are in the vehicle with him.   A specific exception is made for the purposes of firing a weapon - in that case, you can use a fire point.

here's a relevant FAQ from the basic rulebook:

Can Psykers use a Transport’s Fire Point(s) to manifest powers that require line of sight whilst still embarked? (p78)
A: No. Note, however, that witchfire powers specifically allow you to do so and are the one exception to this rule.

Anrakyr's ability is not a psychic power, but it's really another form of the same question.  The basic rule is that you can't draw line of sight out of a vehicle, and there would have to be an exception written somewhere that applies specifically to his power in order to allow it.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:46:57 PM »
Bad Matt, BAD!!!! RATSB!!!!

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 04:04:57 PM »
Another way to look at it is that you cannot physically draw line of sight from Annie to your Target since he is off the table (even if he's literally sitting on the barge). The ability mentions things he can see within 18", not any enemies within 18. I believe the same thing is true for Zandrekh's counter tactics.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
I think I'd rather agree with Sir Prometheus on this for two reasons, first of all, Just assuming that it is the same as a psychic attack is not RAW.  Second, as for it not actually being on the table, the Command barge is a Chariot and (in addition to being right there in it) the character is in base contact with every model that the chariot is in base contact with in close combat, so he should at least be able to draw line of sight outside. 

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 07:01:16 PM »
I think I'd rather agree with Sir Prometheus on this for two reasons, first of all, Just assuming that it is the same as a psychic attack is not RAW.  Second, as for it not actually being on the table, the Command barge is a Chariot and (in addition to being right there in it) the character is in base contact with every model that the chariot is in base contact with in close combat, so he should at least be able to draw line of sight outside.

I 100% agree with your line of thinking. However, that's not how these particular rules are written. They'd have to put something in an FAQ for them to work out of vehicles.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 09:23:34 PM »
Yeah, actually I agree that he SHOULD be able to see out of the vehicle.  However Nova ruled against it shortly after 6th came out and I think most other tournament environments see it the same way... by RAW it's actually pretty clear.   

But yes, it's totally stupid.  How can he not see out of it?  It's got no walls...
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
How is it clear from a RAW perspective? There's nothing saying non-psychic abilities have any special restrictions. Citing the psychic rules doesn't help RAW.

Not that RAW should be the standard.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
Yeah, I guess there is a little wiggle room...

as far as the actual printed rules go there is this:

1. The rules about how to determine line of sight (on page 8 of small rulebook) don't describe any rules for determining whether a model inside a transport can see anything else.
2. The rule for firepoints (page 78) specifically mentions that they can be used for shooting attacks, and doesn't mention anything else that they can be used for.
3. The FAQ I mentioned says that the firepoints can NOT be used for psychic powers that aren't shooting attacks.

So, it's very heavily implied that this ruling would also extend to OTHER (non-psychic) powers that aren't shooting attacks, but it's never explicitly stated as far as I can tell.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
OK.  As we have discussed, I tend to believe that RAI>RAW (at least recently I have), bascialy because RAW involves interpreting GW rules in a technical manner...and the rules mostly weren't even written from a technical perspective, and even when they try, they often fail at it spectacularly.

BUt anyway, when you start saying thing like "heavily implied", well, you're actually making a RAI argument, not a RAW argument.  Which is fine with me, but as soon as you go to RAI, I'm going to say it's pretty clear they would want anrakyr to be able to use his power out of a barg, cuz it's basically just silly and unfun if he can't.....and I mean, look at the guy, he's right there, staring at you.

RAW...there's nothing specifically saying he can't.  RAI...c'mon. 

andalucien

• God
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:04:08 PM »
Yeah, I agree with that.  I was just defending the position of people who try to go by RAW.  There are places where RAW interpretation is much harder to arrive at than this one, IMHO.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »
I would also say that I find GW's faq about the psychic powers to be totally mystifying... if a guardsman can pop his head out out of a chimera to shoot his gun at something, why can't a psyker pop his head out of the same very window in order to do something else?  Apparently GW does intend this limitation to exist, even though it's stupid.