Author Topic: 3d Printing  (Read 751 times)

mchlwllms

• Email
3d Printing
« on: March 19, 2013, 12:26:35 AM »
I know some people on here have used 3D printing for 40k conversions and I'm curious as to how difficult of a process this? I've never had any experience with in the slightest so I'm full of questions. Do places have 3D printers that you can pay to use or do you have to find a way to access one? How hard was it to design the piece ( I assume its something akin to a CADD program)?
"Don't be afraid to give up the good, to go for the great"

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem"

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Re: 3d Printing
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »
Bradpowers is the only person on the forum I think has done anything serious with 3d Printing and I am pretty sure he did it with access to the 3d Printer at his workplace.

You need to use a 3d Modelling program such as Autodesk Inventor or Autocad to create a detailed measured image to upload to the printer to be printed.

Unless you have access to one at a college or workplace the only other option it to buy one yourself I believe.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:52:02 AM »
Bradpowers is the only person on the forum I think has done anything serious with 3d Printing and I am pretty sure he did it with access to the 3d Printer at his workplace.

You need to use a 3d Modelling program such as Autodesk Inventor or Autocad to create a detailed measured image to upload to the printer to be printed.

Unless you have access to one at a college or workplace the only other option it to buy one yourself I believe.

His shoulder pads are pretty great looking.

Unfortunetly i've only found 1 place online that does commissions of custom shoulder pads and they're currently not taking any orders.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:20:09 AM »
Everyone's waiting to see how the chapter house studios case turns out.  (preliminary ruling by the judge--now discarded-- ruled that a SM shoulder pad, the shape itself, was copy-rightable.  Which is frankly bullshit.  Most IP lawyers will tell you that's just wrong)

bradpowers

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • We are an ocean of rage. We are the Lamenters.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 07:06:04 PM »
So, there are options for designing parts and having them printed that don't require your own equipment.  There are a few CAD programs out there that are reasonably easy to use and completely free (one is even open source). 

Google/Trimble/some other company Sketchup (likely the easiest)
Autodesk 123D Design
OpenSCAD (open source)

They're all free, available at least on Windows (also mac and linux for some) and not *terribly* hard to use. 

So, you can design your part there, and then there are companies who will print your parts for you.  You typically send what's called an stl file, which is basically your part broken up into triangles (they're also used for video games).  Then the company prints it out on their machines.  They're not cheap, but you can get really good detail on stuff. 

The one notable example is Shapeways (shapeways.com), they've been doing this for a looong time.  Also, there's a company called Ponoko (ponoko.com) who traditionally did stuff with laser cutters, but is also breaking out into the 3d printing space. 

If I were to make more shoulder pads, without any of the resources I have access to, I would design my parts in sketchup, and have them printed at Shapeways.  They have different 3d printers capable of printing at different resolutions in different materials, so you have lots of options.  For 40k scale stuff, you're probably going to want the "Frosted Ultra Detail" which is the equivalent of what I used for my shoulder pads. 

Anyway, if you have more questions, feel free to PM me or some such.
Too busy being AWESOME to listen to your whining.

Name: Brad Powers
Club Affiliation: BRAD CLUB
Where I play: Yes

mchlwllms

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:28:34 PM »
Thanks everyone, I'm going to see if I can give it a shot
"Don't be afraid to give up the good, to go for the great"

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem"