Author Topic: Upcoming events  (Read 2894 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Upcoming events
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:30:24 AM »
So I've been pretty swamped lately due to various things.  I may not be able to get all the details hashed out and written before PAX and it's aftermath completely consume 2 entire weeks, so I'm gonna post this little update here now.

4/20 - 40k event in Plainville (this is Adepticon weekend).  I am very unsure what I want to do here.

5/4 - 500pt event in Abington.  FW "40k approved" models and/or lists will be legal.  No HQ required.  Painted models will likely be required.

5/18 - 40k event in Plainville - even less sure what I want to do here.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

King of the Elves

Re: Upcoming events
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:37:35 AM »
5/4 - 500pt event in Abington.  FW "40k approved" models and/or lists will be legal.  No HQ required.  Painted models will likely be required.

You are my hero. I'm swamped the entire month on April. But still.... events in Abington + Painting requirements + Casual "formats" = EPIC!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:40:04 AM by King of the Elves »

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »
4/20 - 40k event in Plainville (this is Adepticon weekend).  I am very unsure what I want to do here.

Personally i would like to see a 2000pt event with no double force org. 1850 seems to be the standard this year for Adepticon and Nova but i think a 2000pt battle would be a nice change

i know a lot of people like the 500pt events and it's a lot easier for people newer to the hobby to jump on board them. The painted models required here is a great way for people to start to build up painted forces for future larger painted required events.

As far as the Forgeworld thing however. While i think it's GREAT that BG is making an effort to allow more Forgeworld i doubt you would see much at the 500pt level as most things out of Imperial Armour are expensive point wise.

5/18 - 40k event in Plainville - even less sure what I want to do here.

another doubles? perhaps a triples? first invitational qualifier event?

thats my 2 cents

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:37:08 AM »
Personally i would like to see a 2000pt event with no double force org. 1850 seems to be the standard this year for Adepticon and Nova but i think a 2000pt battle would be a nice change
This is a good point, that BG hasn't yet done a 2000 point tournament. What's the general interest level here?

Dan Bunker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »
2k is only good if it is done by the rules. stick to the 1850 unless you want to hear tons of us bitch about 1999+1

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »
a 500pt event no HQ requied? That sounds like a nice time to show off my Minotaurs! I will definently have 500pts painted beutifuly by then and I wont need my Forge World HQ

andalucien

• God
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 05:15:14 PM »
I am gonna try really hard to make the 500pt event on May 4.   That miggggghhhtt be just after my "nothing but baby" phase...  maybe it will be the first time I take a day to myself... yes, I do like me some 40k.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 07:05:05 PM »
I agree with Dan about sticking to the rulebook about 2000 points if we hold one. The adepticon weekend I would say go low points maybe a 1250 point tournament as a mid ground between high and Low points. It would bring out some of the newer or smaller army people that would make up for the people going to adepticon and make it a very fun casual weekend in my opinion. Then in May throw a 2000 point or even 2500 point tournament to throw people for a loop and just put large amount of models on the table.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 08:37:13 PM »
Have no fear, the difference between 2000 and 1999+1 is well understood. I said 2000, I meant 2000.

robpro

• Heroic Tier Level 9
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
Is there any interest in holding a tournament with these rules?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 09:13:53 PM »
Double force org would be a beautiful thing, if only that it will show people they have no reason to fear it. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 09:17:42 PM »
Is there any interest in holding a tournament with these rules?
I would be shocked if there was any interest. Kill Team was initially an every Sunday event in Plainville, had little momentum and died without even a whimper.

Our 500 point tournaments do the job better in every way, IMO.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 10:35:55 PM »
Just because a tournament has a 2k points limit does not mean the event has to allow double force org. Its kind of ridiculous and everyone knows that and no one who wants to run a reasonably competitive event would not allow double force org.

Even though double force org is not nearly as broken as people think no one does it and no one uses it anyways.

I like 2k. Most people feel that 40k competitively is balanced between 1850-2k ( I believe GW stated they balance around the 2k points level). For the most part I am fine with any event that you guys do. I know it will be well done and it will work. Nothing will be absurdly broken etc.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 10:36:29 PM »
Also is there going to be an invitational this year or something similar?
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
Personally i'm far more interested in a 2000pt tournament vs something smaller like a 1250pt. Allies is the new hotness and you can fit a lot more allied fun in a 2k list than something smaller.

I'm not opposed to trying it by the book and doing double force org at least once just to see what kind of broken nonsense shows up, although i think the big tournaments are staying away from double force org for a reason.

Whatever next months tournament ends up being i will likely be there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:48:20 PM by PhoenixFire »