Author Topic: New FAQs are out  (Read 3751 times)

andalucien

• God
Re: New FAQs are out
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
If I were to say, "I only have 10 miles' worth of gas in my car, and I'm not within 10 miles of any gas station", would you think,

A.  "Oh, that's OK... while there are some gas stations more than 10 miles away, there are probably some others that are closer than 10 miles"

or would you think

B. "That guy is screwed".

If you would answer B, then this FAQ rule must be perfectly virtuous and make total sense.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2013, 02:08:19 PM »
I think that's a good way to put it, and that I agree with you, but wouldn't that meant the FAQ rule doesn't make sense? 

I guess I'm confused which side you come down on. 

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »
The people having most problems with this ruling are being far too literal. We know that unit to unit shooting is abstracted so why are we having a problem with this?
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:04 PM »
What Ragnar is saying does make sense. Unfortunately, pretending that's what the rule says is a polite fiction. The rule doesn't address it.
How about we pretend that I wrote a whole post asking you a couple of question that you haven't answered yet?  Is that enough of a "fiction" for you?

Quote from: Mannahnin
You've definitely lost me.  How is this unclear?  We had a functional shooting and wound allocation procedure, which we both know how to resolve.   Yes?  You shoot your stormbolters at the blob, do x hits, which result in y wounds, which are allocated to the unit, closest model to next closest model, and so on, right?  Now, take the existing procedure we've been using, and modify it JUST so that the answer to the question of "Hey, I've killed all the guys who are in range of at least one of my firing models; can I keep allocating wounds to the rest of the unit, if they're outside the range of all of my guns?" is "No."

It's one, simple, discrete change.  What other possible meanings do you think it could have?

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:10 PM »
I actually don't know specifically what you are referring to.  I was also not trying to be combative by calling it a "polite fiction".  My entire point is that the FAQ question does not address what happens when some of the weapons are in range.  Everything you have said is a reasonable ad hoc ruling, the problem is an ad hoc ruling is required....which of course is the fault of GW, not you. 

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »
I actually don't know specifically what you are referring to.
I just quoted the whole post again, to spare you the trouble of going back to the previous page where you evidently missed it the first time.  Try looking again.  It's right above your post.

I was also not trying to be combative by calling it a "polite fiction".  My entire point is that the FAQ question does not address what happens when some of the weapons are in range.
Yes, it most certainly does.  I am asking you for the third time to explain what else you think it could mean.  Because when I read it it says that if a given model is not in range of "any" of the firers, then it cannot have a wound allocated to it.  Just like the rulebook tells us that if a given model is not in LOS of any of the firers, it cannot have a wound allocated to it.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2013, 01:03:44 PM »
I actually don't know specifically what you are referring to.  I was also not trying to be combative by calling it a "polite fiction".  My entire point is that the FAQ question does not address what happens when some of the weapons are in range.  Everything you have said is a reasonable ad hoc ruling, the problem is an ad hoc ruling is required....which of course is the fault of GW, not you.

Does it need to?  In order to fire, a weapon has to be in range of at least model in the target unit. That has not changed.

So if I've 8 men in a squad with las guns and 2 manning an auto cannon. I shoot at a squad of marines, 1 of the las guns is 25 inches away from the nearest model in the target unit.  That means I'm only rolling to hit with the auto cannon and 7 las guns.

From this point on range ceases to matter... The unit is hit and models are removed starting closest....

Well, ok, but I think the situation that everyone is wondering about is when all the lasguns are within range of 1 model, and the rest of the target unit is only in range of the autocannon. 

You've definitely lost me.  How is this unclear?  We had a functional shooting and wound allocation procedure, which we both know how to resolve.   Yes?  You shoot your stormbolters at the blob, do x hits, which result in y wounds, which are allocated to the unit, closest model to next closest model, and so on, right?  Now, take the existing procedure we've been using, and modify it JUST so that the answer to the question of "Hey, I've killed all the guys who are in range of at least one of my firing models; can I keep allocating wounds to the rest of the unit, if they're outside the range of all of my guns?" is "No."

It's one, simple, discrete change.  What other possible meanings do you think it could have?
[/quote]

I dunno, man, I've run out of ways to say it.  That's why I didn't understand what you were asking that I hadn't answered. 

One more try.

1)  We know what happens when all the weapons are in range of a particular model. (we can allocate wounds to it)

2) We know what happens when No weapons have range to a model (we cannot allocate wounds to it, as per FAQ)

3) We do not know what happens when only some of the weapons can reach a model.  (we are given no instructions, either in the BRB or FAQ)

Just like the rulebook tells us that if a given model is not in LOS of any of the firers, it cannot have a wound allocated to it.

That's....actually not relavant, kinda my point. 

THe LOS rules are a fine template if you want to make a house rule for the range rules, but we are given no direction to do so.  The range rules and LOS rules idffer in lots, of little, annoying ways, and will continue to do so, you can't use one as a precedent for the other.  I would enjoy it immensely if GW started using precedent and a logical format for all their rules, but they show no signs of doing so.   

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »

Does it need to?  In order to fire, a weapon has to be in range of at least model in the target unit. That has not changed.

So if I've 8 men in a squad with las guns and 2 manning an auto cannon. I shoot at a squad of marines, 1 of the las guns is 25 inches away from the nearest model in the target unit.  That means I'm only rolling to hit with the auto cannon and 7 las guns.

From this point on range ceases to matter... The unit is hit and models are removed starting closest....

Well, ok, but I think the situation that everyone is wondering about is when all the lasguns are within range of 1 model, and the rest of the target unit is only in range of the autocannon. 
The exact same thing as happened before.  All the lasguns can fire and wound whoever, because every model is in range of at least one firing model. 

Nothing has changed about the procedure we were using up to this point, except to say that if that AC is not present or does not fire for some reason, then those other models are NOT in range of "any" of the firing models, and thus per the new FAQ, they can no longer have wounds allocated to them.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »
Ok?  If you want to just say "everything could before", and the only guidance we've been given is, "if no weapons can hit a model, you can't allocated wounds to it" and then "in all other situations, revert to previous"

Well, fine, then it results in that.  I think I've said a few times, that's the way I'd rule it. 

But what's driving me nuts is people saying "it's obvious" or it's "right there in the FAQ."  Well, it's not, we have a great big hole in the rules, and you're effectively attempting to patch it. 

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Are we really still debating this?
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 02:36:44 AM »
There's no hole.  It works exactly the same way it used to, EXCEPT that there's now a cap on how far away you can wound anyone, limited to the farthest model any of the firing models can reach.

It really is that simple.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
It's not simple, they didn't write a FAQ that in anyway has a simple interpretation.

Whatever.  Ragnar, I am perfectly happy with the stop-gap way you (and most people) want to run it.  That leaves us really arguing about how "obvious" it is.  That's probably a silly thing to argue about, so I'm going to bow out. 

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 01:32:04 PM »
I apologize if I got snappy or short.  I just sincerely can't see any hole.  All I see is one discrete modification of an extant procedure which was perfectly functional and didn't have any holes either.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
It previously was simple, complete, functional, understandable and clear rule, yes.  (if a little forgiving for the dakka shooter). 

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
Sure. Completely agreed.  I just don't understand how this one simple change creates a hole or makes wound allocation somehow unclear.