Author Topic: New FAQs are out  (Read 3749 times)

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
New FAQs are out
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:53:35 AM »
And some of them are doozies.    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?start=2&articleCatId=&aId=3400019&categoryId=1000018&catId=&pIndex=1&communityArticleCatId=&section=&singlePageMode=true

"Q: If your Warlor’s Warlord Trait confers a specific ability to a unit
or units in your army, is this ability always immediately lost when
the Warlord is killed? (p111)
A: Yes. Further, if the Warlord Trait conferred a special rule
that allows an unusual method of deployment from Reserves
(such as conferring Infiltrate to allow a unit to Outflank)
that special rule is immediately lost and the unit must deploy
from Reserves in the normal fashion."

0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: New FAQs are out
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
And some of them are doozies.    http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?start=2&articleCatId=&aId=3400019&categoryId=1000018&catId=&pIndex=1&communityArticleCatId=&section=&singlePageMode=true

"Q: If your Warlor’s Warlord Trait confers a specific ability to a unit
or units in your army, is this ability always immediately lost when
the Warlord is killed? (p111)
A: Yes. Further, if the Warlord Trait conferred a special rule
that allows an unusual method of deployment from Reserves
(such as conferring Infiltrate to allow a unit to Outflank)
that special rule is immediately lost and the unit must deploy
from Reserves in the normal fashion."

That warlord trait thing IS huge

Some other good ones are they finally confirmed you CAN overwatch from inside a vehicle

Models in a unit cannot be allocated wounds if they are out of range from the firing weapon

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »
And they answered my question about darkshrouds having stealth

andalucien

• God
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
Ahhh, one of my big "idunno's" was resolved.

About vector strikes:

No cover saves are
allowed against these hits.

Suck it Space Marines.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 12:17:58 PM »
And...  in a related story... they classified the heldrake's maw as being a turret weapon?  This means it has 360 degree arc of fire correct???  Crikey... these things just got twice as sick as they were. 
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
Ahhh, one of my big "idunno's" was resolved.

About vector strikes:

No cover saves are
allowed against these hits.

Suck it Space Marines.

That and the turret thing are an awful ruling, in my opinion.  GW seems to really want to remove a lot of smart defensive options...."buy more models!  Paint them!  Now pick them up off the board, they're gone!"

Models in a unit cannot be allocated wounds if they are out of range from the firing weapon

That one's going to cause a lot of arguments, mark my words. 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »

You ain't kidding, i can hear it now.

Big units with multiple types of guns with multiple ranges are going to be a nightmare to figure out and will just slow down gameplay.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:15:07 PM »
Interesting point, the DA iPAD codex, didn't need many of the updates provided in the FAQ, they were there already, but, there were a couple...

we'll see how long it takes to get the update out..

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

andalucien

• God
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »

Big units with multiple types of guns with multiple ranges are going to be a nightmare to figure out and will just slow down gameplay.

Actually I don't think it's as confusing as you are fearing... here's the actual quote:

Q: When making a Shooting attack against a unit, can Wounds
from the Wound Pool be allocated to models that were not within
range any of the shooting models when To Hit rolls were made (i.e.
half the targeted model are in the shooting models’ range, and half
are not)? (p15)
A: No.

The key phrase is "any of the shooting models". You only check whether a given targe model is within range of ANY firing model.  If it is, then it can have wounds allocated to it.  No need to track WHICH wounds came from WHICH firing model.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:26:35 PM »

Actually I don't think it's as confusing as you are fearing... here's the actual quote:

Q: When making a Shooting attack against a unit, can Wounds
from the Wound Pool be allocated to models that were not within
range any of the shooting models when To Hit rolls were made (i.e.
half the targeted model are in the shooting models’ range, and half
are not)? (p15)
A: No.

The key phrase is "any of the shooting models". You only check whether a given targe model is within range of ANY firing model.  If it is, then it can have wounds allocated to it.  No need to track WHICH wounds came from WHICH firing model.
I agree with that interpretation, but again, just because it seems clear you doesn't mean it won't cause a lot of arguments. 

Adding to the problem is that it is proposed as the counter to a negative.  (there's probably a specific linguistic term for that) If wounds can't be applied to a model that was out of range of ANY of the firing unit's (not models's really, why are they making this harder than it has to be?) weapons, does that mean that wounds can be applied to a model if SOME of the weapons could reach that model, even beyond the number of wounds inflicted by that particular weapon. 

It doesn't, really.  That's probably what they meant (maybe), but it's not what they wrote. 

And it's worth noting this is actually in contradiction to what is written in the BRB (which has you only check range to initially fire, not wound, but has you check LOS for both), meaning it really should be an errata, not a FAQ.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:45:10 PM »
add in a missile launcher or a Las cannon to those tac sqauds and bam you wont ever be ourof range have fun killing models with bolter fire at 48 inches if the sqauds is spread that far.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:18 PM »
add in a missile launcher or a Las cannon to those tac sqauds and bam you wont ever be ourof range have fun killing models with bolter fire at 48 inches if the sqauds is spread that far.
You still have to be in range of at least one model in the unit to be able to fire your weapon(each model).

andalucien

• God
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 02:53:44 PM »
OK yeah, I can see the arguments starting already, so I guess it's indisputable :)

BUt - no need to worry about 48" range bolters.  This FAQ applies only to wound allocation.  It has nothing  to do with determining which models can fire.  To fire, an individual model still needs to have both range and LOS to a model in the target unit.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Nope.  All it says is if they can take wounds.  If the unit is spread out and there are models fartehr then 24 inches if you have a long range wep in sqaud then bolters can kill targets farther then 24....
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

andalucien

• God
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
Oh, yeah, you're right there.  I thought you were suggesting something else - that all the models in a unit can fire, as long as any of the models are in range (which is not the case).

Basically, what this FAQ does is to apply exactly the same wound allocation rules to range that were already in effect for LOS.   There was already a rule that said that if a model was out of sight of all firing models, no wounds could be allocated to it.  There wasn't a corresponding rule about range.  Now there is.   

As long as people don't get thrown by the wording here, the rule makes total sense.