Author Topic: New Dark Angels Thread  (Read 7510 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Re: New Dark Angels Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2013, 09:02:12 PM »

Notably, since the rest of the squad is blasting Str7 plasma, that means you'll be insta-killing lots of things, like paladins, you wouldn't have been previously.

another argument for this being a "must take" for this army. Totally worth 126 points to me, it will likely be a high value target and therefore might be smart to take additional bikes in that unit or more then one unit of them.

I think that 6 is a minimum Black Knights sqd, take rad and stasis shots to make a mess of any unit, especially if GM Azzy then charges in with his blob squard LOL.

Ahh we'll see.

Right now I'm thinking of a techMarine with my Dev squad, bolster some defences, maybe take a powerfield. we'll see.

3 is the minimum, you can have up to 10 in a squad. For every 3 you can trade in a plasma talon for a grenade launcher for free

i'm definitely taking Azazel with my blob, such a crazy combo. I may have to switch from IG with DA allies to DA with IG allies so i can have scoring Deathwing and Ravenwing though.

The powerfield is nice but a bit pricy at 30 points when you can put the devastators in a ruin with a techmarine for a better cover save

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:07 PM »
You know what would be awesome?

If I could get Azreal and Sammael at all.  Both are delayed / backordered. :(
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »
I have the original all metal Sammael.  Thing weighs 2-3 lbs, you could totally kill a guy by hucking it at him.  Used him to represent a character I have in the Dark Heresy RPG, and a friend painted him up like he did all the PCs.

That, and I have my "grey Knight bikers" of old. 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 10:12:46 PM »
You know what would be awesome?

If I could get Azreal and Sammael at all.  Both are delayed / backordered. :(

There goes my plan of picking up Azrael Thursday.

I really wish they would release the codex a week earlier so people could figure out what they actually want to buy for any army, but that would probably defeat the Games Workshop business idea of "if it looks cool, people will impulse buy it!"

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:27 AM »
@Phoenix, yeah I know the min size from the book, I should have been clearer, I meant min size for use on the field :)

As for Back orders :)

I've got Azrael, still painted as he was in '95 complete with cut out banner! I'm not sure I'll repaint him rather just replace and have another go :)

Sammael is a bummer though... I'm really on a painting kick now I've got my Dark Angel Codex. Oh well I'll survive another week or so I guess.. :)

Cheers,
Alan
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:22 AM »
... but that would probably defeat the Games Workshop business idea of "if it looks cool, people will impulse buy it!"
Well, tucked away in there is the crux of the issue. It's a Games Workshop business idea, not an idea for local gaming stores. I really do wonder how long this short-term planning on GW's part will last.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2013, 07:59:37 AM »
That metal Sammael is a brick, I still have mine sitting in its box.

I may have an extra or a badly painted Azreal if anyone's interested, will have to look.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
Here's hoping for a DA FAQ ASAP.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »

why?
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2013, 08:54:58 AM »

why?

Ambiguous rules and typos in the printed version of the book.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2013, 09:05:23 AM »
I've heard about the typo's especially in the online version.

What typos make things ambiguous? I've heard about the banner in the RW command squad. 
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2013, 09:16:08 AM »
... but that would probably defeat the Games Workshop business idea of "if it looks cool, people will impulse buy it!"
Well, tucked away in there is the crux of the issue. It's a Games Workshop business idea, not an idea for local gaming stores. I really do wonder how long this short-term planning on GW's part will last.

Oh, about 25 years and counting.

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »

What typos make things ambiguous? I've heard about the banner in the RW command squad.

Yeah, the "relic" banners... Another...

"Do the Rad Charges and Stasis Anomaly affect models hit in a unit, or an entire unit when any of its models are hit? The wording is very ambiguous, and before answering, read the rules for the Stasis Bomb on the same page with a similar effect but totally different wording."

Is one example (pulled that from BOLs, do not have the book in front of me).

Another question I have been hearing "does the Salvo 2/4 banner work with Hurricane Bolters?"

It is a great codex, very glad to see the Dark Angels having some very interesting and powerful units...just could have used an editor.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »

I had this discussion with Sam when i was picking up the new DA codex saturday. It really is short term thinking because they are pushing the younger players with only allowances or low paying jobs out of the hobby. 20% hike on some items last June, Codexs now hardcover and 20 bucks more, the only value stuff is dark vengeance and battle forces. All the GW price hiking is going to do is drive people to buy more online at a discount to be able to afford it and in turn hurt the local small buisness games stores. Not everyone has enough disposable income to buy 60 dollar terminators or 80 dollar flyers, i certainly didnt when i was a teenager or when i was in the military.

/end rant

As far as the FAQ thing like any codex there are going to be errors.

Example: last night i was looking at dark shrouds and the rule says the vehicle gets "shrouded" while everything within 6 get  "Stealth" but under the entry the vehicle also has "stealth" listed... does it get both?

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:22 AM »
Not sure I see it; now I'm working with the iPad version, so could the problem have been solved, unlikely I've not seen an update, most likely I'm just missing something.

Hmm, help me out here what's wrong with the wording?

--Trim--

"Do the Rad Charges and Stasis Anomaly affect models hit in a unit, or an entire unit when any of its models are hit? The wording is very ambiguous, and before answering, read the rules for the Stasis Bomb on the same page with a similar effect but totally different wording."

Those grenades are both listed as "every model in a unit hit by ......". at least in my book, not sure what the issue is there? if the unit is hit everyone is affected...

Is one example (pulled that from BOLs, do not have the book in front of me).

Another question I have been hearing "does the Salvo 2/4 banner work with Hurricane Bolters?"

It is a great codex, very glad to see the Dark Angels having some very interesting and powerful units...just could have used an editor.

Hurricane bolter:  three twin linked boltguns firing as a single weapon
Salvo banner: all friendly.... treat their boltguns as salvo 2/4

again seems really simple that hurricane bolters are affected.

I'm liking the codex and haven't really hit a wtf does that mean moment yet..

Cheers,
Alan