Author Topic: New Nova Open proposed pamphlet  (Read 1723 times)

andalucien

• God
New Nova Open proposed pamphlet
« on: December 03, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »
Yes, they are on top of things, and have already released the preview pamphlet for Nova 2013 (which sadly I am sure I will not be able to go to).

http://www.novaopen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/NOVA-Draft-Primer-2013.pdf

Lots of interesting stuff in there.  Here's my favorite bit:

"The NOVA Open is considering the legalization of
FW/IA for its 2013 events. "
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: New Nova Open proposed pamphlet
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:16:38 PM »
They're allowing Mysterious Objectives. From a competitive perspective, I think that's a mistake.

Then again, 6th is explicitly not competitive...

Banosby

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 01:27:20 AM »
Why do you think it is a mistake?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:02:02 AM »
Even while known, the effects are random.

I'm really in the mindset of people not wanting to blame mission design for their losses. Wonder why? :)

Erich

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »
Then again, Warhammer 40k is explicitly not competitive...

Fixed.  ;)

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:59 AM »
Even while known, the effects are random.

I'm really in the mindset of people not wanting to blame mission design for their losses. Wonder why? :)

6th ed specifically included more random stuff.  Next you'll be blaming him for including random assault distances.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
We played mysterious opbjectives at my last tourny in CT and they were no where even close to overbalancing or destructive to the game.  I think they add to the missions in a positive way.

People just need to learn to complain less..
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Typhus

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 02:44:16 PM »
The guy that gets Skyfire Nexus against Cron Airwing is going to do the Meposian Dance of Joy.
0000 - Rest Period - BUT YOU BETTER NOT SPEND FOUR WHOLE HOURS SLEEPING. IF YOU DO YOU ARE NOT ANGRY ENOUGH AND TOMORROW YOU GET THE FIRST CHANCE TO PLAY PIN THE TAU ON THE CARNIFEX.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:25:41 PM »
They will dance joy if that scoring unit happens to have enough heavy weapons to take advantage. Honestly I feel like warlord traits are more unbalancing than mysterious objectives. I mean warlord has the potential to unbalance the game with nothing either player can do about it. At least with objectives you can take the unit off or just take it for yourself and gain the advantage.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
People just need to learn to complain less..
To that point, I agree.

I don't want to give the wrong idea. In my heart of hearts, random is where its at. Blood Bowl is one of the greatest games ever IMO because it so embraces and celebrates random events. But I'm not sure 40k is there yet.

I'm torn, because I know one objective shouldn't define a game if the game played right. But sometimes two players are playing right, and that one objective can make all the difference.

There is one argument that I wish to dispel. Just because a rule is in the rulebook doesn't mean it needs or must to be used. Look at 5th, for example. Everyone always played cover as 4+, even though it could be different based on the terrain pieces. (Razor wire I think was a 5+.) Also, no one used terrain pieces as buildings, they were just always impassible.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »
I have to admit, every time I have tried to play with Mysterious objectives, I've forgotten most of their effects at some point during the game.  If there are 10 different mysterious objective effects, and 5 objectives on the table that all look identical, how am I supposed to remember what they all do?   Maybe it would be easier if everyone played with them all the time, so that I remembered the effects by heart (like with tables like the vehicle damage chart or the deep strike mishap chart)...

Or maybe little pieces of paper or cards or chips with the rules is the way to go...
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:57 PM »
The internets have simply made objective-size tokens with the different effects written out.

One of 500 point event missions will use Mysterious Objectives and I'm including the chart with the mission, because I think most players can't even name half of the effects.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 10:36:56 AM »
The randomness factor is what makes it fun and realistically the effects are not unbalancing, its more annoying having to roll on another table, for another reason etc.

Im more meh about FW/IA as the ability to play with/against that stuff is limited at best and so while not game breaking its impossible to know all of the standard 40k armies now we are adding additional units to the mix F that.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Mannahnin

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 10:29:03 PM »
If there are 10 different mysterious objective effects, and 5 objectives on the table that all look identical, how am I supposed to remember what they all do?   Maybe it would be easier if everyone played with them all the time, so that I remembered the effects by heart (like with tables like the vehicle damage chart or the deep strike mishap chart)...
It really does get easy once you get used to it.  If you have 4 or 5 objectives you may want to mark them with dice or something once they're discovered, but there are only 5 different effects + “No effect”.  1 is the booby trap, 2 is nothing, 3 is skyfire, 4 is re-roll 1s in shooting, 5 is +1 to cover saves, 6 is any unit trying to charge you halves the distance.  They’re really pretty simple and straightforward. 

They can only be used by a Scoring unit which is holding them. And two (arguably three, because +1 to cover saves can help limit the damage a shooty flyer can do) of the results can help against flyers.  I don’t know why anyone doesn’t use them at this point; they’re certainly more balanced and tactical than Warlord traits.   The chart’s pretty easy to memorize once you’re used to it; although when people are used to rolling on it, they’ll also have the page number memorized, just like they already do for Warlord traits.

There is one argument that I wish to dispel. Just because a rule is in the rulebook doesn't mean it needs or must to be used. Look at 5th, for example. Everyone always played cover as 4+, even though it could be different based on the terrain pieces. (Razor wire I think was a 5+.) Also, no one used terrain pieces as buildings, they were just always impassible.
Neither of those statements matches my experience.  Most things were played as 4+ cover because most of the stuff you commonly see on tables was defined as 4+ on the 5th ed cover chart- forests, hills, ruins, and intervening units all included.  I didn’t see a lot of razorwire or chainlink fences on tables, but when I did I always played them as their value from the chart (except on those infrequent occasions that a TO overruled the chart).

Buildings being played as impassible was not uncommon as a house rule, but I certainly played using the actual building rules at Adepticon, Vegas Throne of Skulls, and numerous smaller events.

All that said, I do agree with your core point.  But IMO a number of 6th ed rules weren't used initially while people were adapting, and by now should be phased in as people should be used to them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:33:02 PM by Mannahnin »

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 10:36:01 PM »
.  I don’t know why anyone doesn’t use them at this point; they’re certainly more balanced and tactical than Warlord traits.

This