Author Topic: Space marine HQs at 1500pts?  (Read 1040 times)

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
Space marine HQs at 1500pts?
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
Hey all!  I have been getting in some 1500pt games with my space marines and I am having some issues settling on an load out for my captain.  I usually run him, but I could be sold on the other options (chapter master, Libby, or whatever.  I have the old sicarius model (loadout: artificer armor, plasma pistol, power weapon) that I have been playing, but he never does much.  i haven't played him as real Sicarious yet.  The only thing I am not going to really consider yet are bikes, because I don't own any!

Any thoughts?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Space marine HQs at 1500pts?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:25 PM »
Librarians were great in 5th and they're better in 6th. For 100 points, you're not going to get more efficient than that.

I should ask, what does your list look like, but Librarian's still the best answer. :P

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Librarian and Captain are the only HQ choices to consider outside of special characters.

I'm a big fan of a Captain with a storm shield, artificer armor, and a relic blade.
beep bop boop

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »
I'm a big fan of a Captain with a storm shield, artificer armor, and a relic blade.
I like that. How many points?

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »
160 Points for the Captain with a Relic BladE, Storm Shield, and Artificer Amour.

A Librarian has a Lot of Flexibility because you can gear him for CC and give him 2 shooting powers.

140 Points for Termi Librarian with a Storm shield.

What you need to think about it more of the flow of your army when choosing an HQ. Are you in CC alot then gear an HQ for CC and get him swinging. If not spend the points you would on your HQ elsewhere to have a better firepower in shooting.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:46:10 PM by Loranus »
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
I like that. How many points?

beep bop boop

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
The problem I think is that my army is mostly foot slogging and shooty.  I run a force of 3 tacticals, various kit, a squad of terminators, a devastator squad (3 ML)... the rest changes up, like a vindicator, a predator (Dakka), and a dread with Autocannon.  I will try that relic blade setup, maybe use him as a survivable monster slayer...

It seems like I should give a Libby another shot.  Maybe a libby term with storm shield.  I just seem to roll crappy powers.  What of the codex powers would you all suggest? 

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
It seems like I should give a Libby another shot.  Maybe a libby term with storm shield.  I just seem to roll crappy powers.  What of the codex powers would you all suggest?

If your codex (and by codex i mean FAQ or the 6e rulebook) allows it. Primaris divination is AWESOME for a shooting army... or an assault army
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 09:11:22 PM by PhoenixFire »

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
Space Marines can't take divination. :(
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »
Space Marines can't take divination. :(

Ah i misread the OP, i thought he was talking about Libbys in general because BA, DA, GK, and SW libbys have acess to divination

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
null zone is good if you are close combat against things with invul. saves and gate could move your libby and a squad 24" fast. machine curse now auto causes a gull point.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »
i feel 9 out of 10 times codex powers are alot better than the general ones and i don't usually care for psychic shooting attacks because it seems more risky than just firing a gun but that is my opinion and machine curse seems good for what it does
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »
I'm right there with you, Seth. I am not a big fan of psychic shooting. Buff spells typically do a lot more for an army. Divination powers (if you can get them) are amazing for that very reason.

For codex armies, I really love Null Zone. It pretty much hands you a match up (Daemons), helps a lot with trouble units (TH/SS terminators) and benefits multiple units.
beep bop boop

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »
Thanks for all the insights.  I am converting a Librarian in TA with storm shield, to try next.  I just for once want to think my HQ pulled his weight!  As for converting a captain with relic blade and storm shield, anyone have any ideas for bits?  I think I have a good base in mind, but what about a cool blade?  And could a relic blade be an axe?  Or is that not WYSIWYG enough?

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
it says blade which implies sword put has its own rules which means ap3 no matter what i am pretty sure