Author Topic: 40k Doubles in November will be on November 17th  (Read 651 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
40k Doubles in November will be on November 17th
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:31:20 AM »
The last 40k Invitational Qualifier will be run as a Doubles tournament on November 17th.

Final details are being discussed (Warlord Traits, Psychic Powers) and the event post will go up tomorrow.

Players will treat their teammate as an "Ally of Convenience" at all times for all reasons.

Players will NOT be allowed to take an allied detachment within their 1250 point list.  This is in an effort to avoid a situation where we've got rules from eight different army books at one table.  Basically, it saves time and lessens confusion.  We're still early into the life of the edition and players should expect this to change going forward.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
Re: 40k Doubles in November will be on November 17th
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:48:27 PM »
Chase i would like to recommend 1000 pts for the doubles.  With 6E the games take longer as it is.  1k points I think would let people be able to finish their games a little better. 

Just some feedback and thoughts as we just did a 1250 event and noticed some things.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

andalucien

• God
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
I agree with Grimwulfe.   While I like having a lot of stuff on the table, in the last team tournament @1250 points per player in 5th edition, all 3 of my games ended from time running out.   One game ended on turn 3.   I think that team games take longer than singles games at the same point level, because the teammates have to ask each other questions, "who are you going to shoot with this guy"?  "Is it ok if I move this now?" etc... and these questions often provoke discussions rather than simple answers.   
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
In a related note, to help the organizers learn from experience and hone in on the ideal time limit and points level for games in a more objective (not anecdotal way), maybe it would be a good idea to have a spot on the game scorecard where you indicate how many turns were completed, and whether it ended due to time expiring? 
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
In a related note, to help the organizers learn from experience and hone in on the ideal time limit and points level for games in a more objective (not anecdotal way), maybe it would be a good idea to have a spot on the game scorecard where you indicate how many turns were completed, and whether it ended due to time expiring?

I think this is a great idea. I don't know when we can start implementing it, but it's more art than science at the moment. Always looking for feedback, always looking to improve.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:08:57 AM »
im down for a doubles but ide need a partner :(

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:39:27 AM »
Best of Luck to all Competitors.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »
Doing a doubles at 1250 this weekend, I definitely agree that 1250 points a person is a lot for doubles.  I had one game finish early and the other ran out of time.  1000 points would rock

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
I don't have a dog in this fight since this doubles tournament is falling on a date i have to be at a wedding.  :(

I did a few 1250/2500pt doubles tournaments in 5th and i hear what people are saying about not making it past round 3. 2500 points of stuff on the board makes for a long game on its own without adding the component of having to discuss strategy with your teammate (i'll shoot the Daemon Prince in the face and you get to the objective, no no no YOU take the objective and I'll shoot stuff in the face )

On the other side of that coin a 1000pt limit makes for a difficult army list for several codexs who only have expensive options to choose from and probably few will bring expensive HQ choices (which may not be a bad thing). It's going to lead to less than competitive lists for some but i guess that is where your partner comes in to fill in the holes in your army.

Whatever is decided (1000 or 1250) perhaps Chase could add a box to the score sheet and have everyone fill in what round they made it to after each round? It would be a great tool for BG to gauge what point value to do the NEXT doubles tournament at in 2013