Author Topic: Scenarios  (Read 3454 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Scenarios
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 07:48:32 AM »
Page 124, BRB.

"If a mission has the Night Fighting special rule, roll a d6 before deployment: on a roll of 4+, the Night Fighting special rule is in effect during game turn 1.

If the Night Fighting rules did not take effect during game turn 1, roll a d6 at the start of Game Turn 5, On a roll of 4+, the Night Fighting rules are used for the rest of the game. On a roll of 3 or less, you must roll again at the start of every subsequent game turn - as soon as a roll of 4+ is rolled, the Night Fighting rules come into play for the rest of the game."

I just wanted people to know I'm not impaired. That's exactly as the rule appears in the book.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
What's simplest is if there's no Night Fighting at all. That would solve all my concerns in one fell swoop.

Random global effects are the type of thing one would see in Ard Boyz Sixth edition 40k

Odd, That is what you are playing now, right?

andalucien

• God
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »
I just wanted people to know I'm not impaired. That's exactly as the rule appears in the book.

So, nothing about that text jumped out to me as being problematic... does it to you? 
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »
Odd, That is what you are playing now, right?
Yeah, about that...

So, nothing about that text jumped out to me as being problematic... does it to you?
There's a comma where a period should be. I don't know if "game turn" is supposed to be capitalized or not, because both happen. I never have seen a dash connect two complete sentences.

I never would want anyone thinking that is how I write.

BrianP

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
Any progress on the scenarios, or clarity on whether vehicles can contest table quarters and/or objectives?

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2012, 10:09:58 PM »
Is there a question on if they can contest? They are not denial units. Seems pretty clear.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
Is there a question on if they can contest? They are not denial units. Seems pretty clear.

What Bill said, that's right out of the big rule book

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
Any progress on the scenarios, or clarity on whether vehicles can contest table quarters and/or objectives?

I have not had time to work on the scenarios since I posted them.  Like I said earlier, I am aware of the changes that need to be made and will edit them to reflect all of it when time allows.

The gist of it all should be clear enough.  Non-Denial Units can't contest.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

BrianP

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
Sounds good.

This is what was confusing:
It is important to note that these are NOT the scenarios from the book.  Applying rules that are in the book scenarios and are NOT in the mission packet is a mistake.

When I asked before and saw the response above I was very concerned, as the scenarios explicitly refer to (emphasis mine)"any unit, whether scoring or not" one logical conclusion is to ignore applying the denial rules from the book. As I was not the only one concerned, I wanted to double check. Allowing fliers to deny would be horribly unfun, and slightly more important to me than who gets to roll for nightfight. ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:29:04 AM by quiestdeus »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »
An important thing to realize is that quarters is no longer a mission type in the book.  So applying 6th ed scoring, denial, etc rules to them is sort of problematic to start with.

That's not advocating either position, I just important to realize that you can't take the BRB as gospel on this because it doesn't really apply.  Table-quarters are largely a tournament-construct these days, and require house-ruling by their nature. 

NOVA let no vehicles score quarters, so you saw basically vehicle-less lists.  Battle for Salvation is NOVA-like, but 1/3 of missions Fast scores (like scourging, from the book) and 1/3 Heavy does (Big Guns) so it's kinda half&half.  Feast of Blades on the other hand, vehicles never score objectives, but count for quarters just fine, while Flyers do not. 

Point is, it's all over the place.  Precedent, there is not. 

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
Quarters were not in 5th ed either... what is the point?

6th made a specific ruling that vehicles don't interact with objectives.  Whether it is a point on the table or a giant region on the table, what is the difference?

andalucien

• God
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
The GW ruling is that vehicles cannot contest objectives.  Table quarters at the Nova open weren't very much like objectives.  Table quarters were won by totalling up all of the victory points in each quarter - whereas objectives are a binary - either you're controlling it or not. 

I would actually say that the Nova Open quarters mission was most similiar to good old fashioned Victory points (before Kill Points was a twinkle in GW's eye).  Saying that a vehicle doesn't contest objectives is not the same thing as saying it doesn't even count as a source of Victory points; this latter is what really hurt vehicles at Nova.  Mech lists were essentially playing a victory point game where they started off with like 800 VP's, and the other guy could start off with up to 2000-   literally, if the mech list lost 0 casualties, and killed over half of the other guy's army, they would still be behind on the total # of VP's to divide up amongst the quarters.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 12:13:05 AM »
Quarters were not in 5th ed either... what is the point?

6th made a specific ruling that vehicles don't interact with objectives.  Whether it is a point on the table or a giant region on the table, what is the difference?

My point is the two things are not related, whether GW has decided vehicles are scoring or not is not a precedent for whether they should for quarters.

Doesn't mean I think they should, either, still on the fence. For now, I kinda like how BFS is doing it.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
I am almost done with the scenarios.  I have to make a couple of quick, last minute changes, like getting rid of KP as the primary objective in the 3 mission, but I'm almost there.

If I have time I'll get them up tomorrow.  They aren't super different than the original.

1 - Night Fight (by the book)
2 - Straight up
3 - Night Fight (by the book)

People seem to care about that a lot.

Denial Units are the only ones that can contest.

Points for the objectives have been added.  They're posted earlier in this thread.

Document cleaned up a little bit.

That's about it.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
I am almost done with the scenarios.  I have to make a couple of quick, last minute changes, like getting rid of KP as the primary objective in the 3 mission, but I'm almost there.

If I have time I'll get them up tomorrow.  They aren't super different than the original.

1 - Night Fight (by the book)
2 - Straight up
3 - Night Fight (by the book)

People seem to care about that a lot.

Denial Units are the only ones that can contest.

Points for the objectives have been added.  They're posted earlier in this thread.

Document cleaned up a little bit.

That's about it.

So when you say night fight by the book you mean chance for night fight then?