Author Topic: Scenarios  (Read 3460 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Scenarios
« on: September 26, 2012, 04:44:59 AM »
Here's a beta version of the scenarios I've been "editing."  There's a ton of stuff left to do, like change page numbers, add points to the objectives, change deployment methods, and potentially change pretty much everything about any given scenario... but it's something.

scenario 1

scenario 2

scenario 3

Some things I'm wondering if I should be concerned with:

How difficult the 1st objective in the first scenario might be to "win".
How difficult it might be for the top tables to "win" the 1st objective in the third scenario.
How difficult it might be for the top tables to "win" the 3rd objective in the third scenario.
If first round Night Fight should be included in all scenarios or not.

Personally, I think these scenarios are the most difficult to "completely win" of any we've had before.  Part of me really likes that, but the other part of me foresees a situation where the top tables in round three all fail to score a lot of points and someone who was in 12th place going into the final round wins the event (which is not ideal).

Maybe we should play the scenarios in 3, 1, 2 order.  I think that's probably most solid.

ps. It takes forever to "edit" .pdf files.  Next time I hope to have the tools (and time) to create my own templates.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 05:05:40 AM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Re: Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:46:50 AM »
I'm not really sure why google docs (or whatever they're calling it now) messes with the format and adds a bunch of text at the bottom, but you guys will figure it out.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
So the bonus points are 3 pts, 2 pts, and 1 pts each...

How many points are the main objectives worth?   Did I miss it?
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 02:14:13 PM »
Yeah, I'm not clear how much 1st, 2nd and 3rd objectives are worth relative to each other.

Are you saying random (50%) chance of nightfight every turn, as per standard?  Or just nightfight first turn for everygame?  The first is good, really recommended, the second would be bad....I'm taking Tau with blacksun filters (nightfight), I would MURDER people first turn if it was always night. 

How difficult the 1st objective in the first scenario might be to "win".

Pretty standard, this is fine. 

How difficult it might be for the top tables to "win" the 1st objective in the third scenario.

Kill points?  Probably not hard.  But kill points probably shouldn't be the primary of the last mission, I think.  Kill points got de-emphasized in 6th (comes 1/2 as often as before) and it's probably the easiest factor to "game".  Most lists are probably 12-15 kp.  Some lists could be 20+.  But a few armies can make lists that are like, 5 kp, and they just will never lose kp missions unless tabled. 

I think it's fine to have KP first, but it should be the first or second mission.  IMHO.

How difficult it might be for the top tables to "win" the 3rd objective in the third scenario.

I think this objective is fine.  It can get a little wonky, but smart players will play it smartly. :)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 02:21:21 PM »
Points for the mission objectives havent been added yet.  It'll be exactly the same type of thing we've used in the past (old school adepticon style).

21, 10, 0
14, 7, 0
7, 3, 0

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
I also can't stress enough that these are the "rough draft" scenarios.  If you think these are the exact scenarios you'll be handed on the 13th, you're wrong.

They're close, but things will change... like Night Fight.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »
To be clear, I wasn't saying I would take blacksun fileters cuz your're making too much nightfight, I'm saying I have them anyway.

You should have nightfight be as per book (so, 50% of first turns, chance to have it last turns if it wasn't turn 1, so most games will have nightfight) OR you could assign it by the mission.....but the same ratios should apply.  Since you can't have 1.5 games have nightifht first turn, I favor random.  (I'm not really convinved the late game night fight matters anywhere near as much as a 1st turn). 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
You're not the first person to mention guaranteed 1st turn Night Fight being an issue, Matt.  I appreciate the feedback on the topic.

Someone else did bring up the point that if it's a 50% chance that first turn will be Night Fight each game, we'll end up in a situation where 50% of the tables play with Night Fight and 50% do not.  Is that the best thing in a competitive environment?  I'm not sure it is.

That person also mentioned having us, as the TO's make the die roll for everyone each round.  If we end up going with a die roll, I think that's what we'll do.

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
40k is random as shit now in the book.  How are you handling warlord powers, are we using "mystery" terrain etc...    I don't think it is that big of a deal for night fight.

Average is 1.5 games where you have night fight 1st turn.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »
40k is random as shit now in the book.  How are you handling warlord powers, are we using "mystery" terrain etc...    I don't think it is that big of a deal for night fight.

Average is 1.5 games where you have night fight 1st turn.

it's spelled out in the opening post for the tournament...

Warlord powers roll 2 and pick

not using mysterious terrain

most everything else is also spelled out in the OP, psychic powers, no fortress of redemption, etc.

about the only thing i didn't see explicitly spelled out was mysterious objectives but i imagine that will be cleared up in the mission packets.

these rough draft mission packets seem to pick and choose from 5th and 6th

in 6th there is no more guarenteed night fight so that shouldn't be in the first mission, and then mission 2 and 3 dont seem to say anything about the roll for night fight.

either stick with 6th and make it random for each mission, or go back to 5th rules and set it on or off for each mission

the night fight thing certainly needs to be clarified for all missions, if Chase wants to have Sam roll off and every single table uses that roll then that's certainly one way to help make it a level playing field.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:59:17 AM by PhoenixFire »

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
ight fight should be in for ALL missions and then rolled on per the rulebook. 

Leave it to the players to roll their night fight results. 
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »
ight fight should be in for ALL missions and then rolled on per the rulebook. 

Leave it to the players to roll their night fight results.
Which player rolls the Night Fighting results?

andalucien

• God
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »
Yes, I'm not sure it makes total sense to have one big night fighting roll at the beginning... If we're playing with book rules, you then have to start rolling again for night fight on turn 5.  Everyone's turn 5 is going to happen at a different time, and you're not supposed to know the result in advance, so players would STILL have to roll their own "end of game nightfight".
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Grimwulfe

• God
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »
Does it really matter which player rolls for night fight?  Seriously?  If you have to have a designated person then make it the person who won the roll to go first.

But I seriously dont think the person that rolls it is important at all.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

Tharcil

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
Yes, I'm not sure it makes total sense to have one big night fighting roll at the beginning... If we're playing with book rules, you then have to start rolling again for night fight on turn 5.  Everyone's turn 5 is going to happen at a different time, and you're not supposed to know the result in advance, so players would STILL have to roll their own "end of game nightfight".

I thought nightfighting was beginning OR end of the game and never both?  Unless Necrons happen...