Author Topic: Minvitational Results - 9/1  (Read 1181 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
Minvitational Results - 9/1
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »

1250 points
23 Players
3 rounds

Best General - John Walsh - Tau
2nd Best General - Nate Mello - Orks + Daemons
3rd Best General - DJ McBride - Daemons

Player's Choice 1st - Ben Boulanger
Player's Choice 1st - James Gianotti
It should be noted that we were going to award the top two Player's Choice scores.  As it turns out, these two guys tied.

Best Painted Army - Chris Gershman - Eldar
Best Painted Army - Ben Boulanger - Deathwing
It should be noted that we were going to award the top two Best Painted Armies.  As it turns out, after averaging the scores from TWO judges, these players had identical scores!

I'd like to thank everyone who came out for this one.  It was one of my favorite events and the vibe in the room was awesome.  It was incredibly cool talking to some of the newer guys during and after the event and hearing how much they enjoyed themselves.

A special thanks goes out to Ben Boulanger for all of his input and help with the event, and James Gainotti and Brenton Van Durme for their help with the Escalation League and growing the 40k community at BG Plainville here on Sunday's.  Your help has been invaluable and I can't thank you enough.

For those of you looking for more tournament action here at Battleground, keep an eye out for an event post sometime very soon...  :)

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
Re: Minvitational Results - 9/1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »
Congrats to everyone!  Nice to see dual awards for general and painted, too.  Some day some, I will be comfortable enough with the rules to play in one of these, though from the sound of it there were some newer players in this group.

And doesn't that Gershman guy have a fantastic Eldar army? I saw it while he was painting it and was VERY impressed!

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:25:16 PM »
Nice to see dual awards for general and painted, too.
Yeah. That was great. Really, really great. No, really, just the best ever.  ;)

Some day some, I will be comfortable enough with the rules to play in one of these, though from the sound of it there were some newer players in this group.
One guy had never played a game of 40k before, I think his name was Mike. Sounds crazy, but he had done his research and went 2-1. There were many other newer players too.

And doesn't that Gershman guy have a fantastic Eldar army? I saw it while he was painting it and was VERY impressed!
Gershman's Eldar are really fantastic. Barbed vines all over, everything painted very brightly, very distinctly.

Also, the two Best Painted armies also finished last and second-to-last, proving yet again competitive > hobby.  ;D

I'm feeling really good about the 40k tournament scene around BG right now, and I'd encourage anyone and everyone to try it at least once in your lives. You will learn more in a tournament day than in months of casual playing, plus you get to meet lots of fellow players and see nice armies.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:40:53 PM »
Congrats to everyone!  Nice to see dual awards for general and painted, too.  Some day some, I will be comfortable enough with the rules to play in one of these, though from the sound of it there were some newer players in this group.

What Ben said.  Seriously, we had one player that had NEVER played a game of 40k before and several players who were new, super casual, or brand new to 6th edition.

This event was more or less invite only and I specifically asked new(er) players, casual players, or players that had not posted outstanding results in previous Singles tournaments in the past to attend.  This was in an effort to create a fun, friendly, not-quite-so-competitive, "easy entry" event for interested players to try out.  I think it worked out very well and will definitely be doing it again in the future.

I agree with Ben in that the 40k tournament scene looks great around Battleground right now, especially so early on in the life of the edition.  We've got some really awesome people in the community that have put in a lot of effort into growing and promoting 40k here.  I love it.

Oddly, I didn't get a chance to look at Chris's army up close.  I can say that from 8ish feet away I could tell it was painted well, and that says quite a bit.

There's nothing quite like an awesome looking Eldar army.  I'm psyched he brought it and I'll make it a point to check it out if he decided to bring it down again.

Keep an eye on our Facebook page for pictures of the event.  They should be up soon.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 12:40:46 AM »
I have to admit, when I stopped by to pick up my DV boxed set it looked like fun.  Maybe I will give the next tourney a try....considering that the next one will be after the semester starts and I will need an outlet since I will be ready to kill students....
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
In your face Rick James!
Tiger's Den founding member

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:18:28 AM »
Can we see army lists for top 3?

I'd love to see the tau list.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 02:06:33 PM »
Looks like you could have used a ringer chase!  You never got back to me.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 04:01:50 PM »
I too, would be interested in the Tau list. 

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »
Congrats to you Dave Goss for finishing in the middle of the pack like me.  I will present you a bag of chips that belong to the 10th place finisher that Chase neglected to give you

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:07:06 PM »
DAVE "THE TROLL" GOSS

VS.

RICK "FUNKILLER" JAMES

BATTLE OF THE MIDDLE CHILDREN!

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
Looks like you could have used a ringer chase!  You never got back to me.

I know.  I wasn't sure until 24 hours beforehand if 2 players were going to show up or not.  One did, one didn't.  I didn't want to call you with less than 24 hours notice and be like, "So... I need you to come play tomorrow."

Sorry. :(

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
did Boulander make a blue steel face when he won painting?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »
did Boulander make a blue steel face when he won painting?
I think there may have been only two fully painted armies. Fish and barrels. Pro tip, just borrow from talented friends, and then split the prize with them.  ;D