Author Topic: 6th edition product pictures (from Spanish WD or something)  (Read 3633 times)

Grand Master Steve

Re: 6th edition product pictures (from Spanish WD or something)
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
I cant wait to play this. I so want the limited ed book now that ive seen it.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 08:02:19 AM »
I do some some concerns about this edition. 

Everything that I have seen is a huge buff to shooting armies (overwatch, nerf to cover, models removed from closest to farthest, etc) and a big nerf to assault armies (random charge).  Also it looks like the Spess Marines/Imperials are getting all the love (the most amount of new psychic powers, close combat weapons having an AP value, cheap terrain with guns that have the interceptor and skyfire rules etc). 

It is hard to say anything about the new rules without ALL the new rules, but as an Ork player I am very very concerned.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

andalucien

• God
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 09:34:46 AM »
If charge distance is 2d6", that averages a longer charge range than the 6", and sometimes gives you the chance to randomly charge someone from way outside normal charge.  I'm not so sure that overall it hurts more than it helps.

Also, something good for Orks:  This "you can fire your weapons at BS1 in response to a charge" is better for Orks than for anyone else.   THey are only BS2 as it is.   Imagine trying to charge a unit of 15 lootas.   If they roll a "3" you're going to get hit with 8 or 9 strength 7 shots on the way in.  Now imagine trying to charge a unit of Burna Boyz (shudder).

I'm kinda concerned about the new psychic powers because it will probably make psykers and psychic defense more important.  And in my 4 armies I have nary a psyker between them.  But without knowing the whole rules it's not worth worrying about yet.   
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »
If charge distance is 2d6", that averages a longer charge range than the 6", and sometimes gives you the chance to randomly charge someone from way outside normal charge.  I'm not so sure that overall it hurts more than it helps.

Also, something good for Orks:  This "you can fire your weapons at BS1 in response to a charge" is better for Orks than for anyone else.   THey are only BS2 as it is.   Imagine trying to charge a unit of 15 lootas.   If they roll a "3" you're going to get hit with 8 or 9 strength 7 shots on the way in.  Now imagine trying to charge a unit of Burna Boyz (shudder).

I'm kinda concerned about the new psychic powers because it will probably make psykers and psychic defense more important.  And in my 4 armies I have nary a psyker between them.  But without knowing the whole rules it's not worth worrying about yet.   

Statistically the number you should see most is 7 on 2d6, but being 4 inches away and rolling a 3 is still going to suck.  If ally this randomness is all that great, why don't they stick a random range on Spess Marine/Tau/IG guns?  If I have to guess on can I make a charge, why not have the shooty guys have to take a chance on shooting?

I don't think the defensive fire is really going to help Orks all that much.  The game right now for Orks isn't sit back and shoot, but maybe that is going to change.  As for the Burna Boyz, I heard somewhere that template weapons will not be able to defensive fire.  Which I hope to God is true since Boyz can no longer take Burnas in a mob, but Spess Marines can.

I am with you on Psykers.  Being a race without one (WeirdBoyz do not count, espeically since we didn't get any of the new nifty powers) that could really suck.

Truthfully, one of the things that worries me most is sniper fire.  Hey, I can target all your PK nobz (of Big Mek with KFF) and completely destroy the effectiveness of your army.  And of course it is another rule that Orks cannot use.

I am still waiting to hear any rule that really benefits the Assault based Xenos crowd.  Everything that I am hearing is great for shooty people and Marines.  I guess they could FAQ the Ork codex and cut the point value of everything in half, but given what I have seen out of GW, I am sure that they will double the values instead.  It is almost like GW wants me to go to that other game and play with the shiny Trolls.

Warhammer 40k
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   

NateT

• Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 06:05:22 PM »
Man, that is some Marine hate there... The current iteration of Space Marines is hardly overpowered, right?  I don't think that the new one will be either.  The Space Marines are a love of GWs because they are awesome looking and a true GW creation.  They bring people into the game.

I certainly understand/share your anxiety about the Orks, though...

Librarian

• Heroic Tier Level 8
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »
psychic disciplines in the core rulebook are similar to the lores of magic in the core for fantasy, there a listing of powers common to multiple armies, an eldar farseeer looking deep into the skin of the warp, a imperial guard sanction psyker playing the emperors tarot, and a space wolf rune priest casting his runes into a bowl made of a massive wolf skull are all useing the divination discipline. But many if not most armies are going to have there own powers in there individual codexes. Orks have never taped into the warp or used the same powers as everyone else, well its totally possible in there errata for 6e Orks may be given temporary access to pyromancy and biomancy once there 6e book is out they will likely have access to only there own very Orkey Powers.

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 08:50:28 PM »
Man, that is some Marine hate there... The current iteration of Space Marines is hardly overpowered, right?  I don't think that the new one will be either.  The Space Marines are a love of GWs because they are awesome looking and a true GW creation.  They bring people into the game.

I certainly understand/share your anxiety about the Orks, though...

It is really not Marine hate, mostly anxiety as everything that I have heard helps many other armies and really hurts my preferred army.   I have enough problems with AV14 and running through dead mans land before the survivors can try and kill everyone through assault.

I know the complete rules have not come out yet, but just fear having my army tabled by turn 2 every game.  Besides, Matt Ward absolutely hate the Orks so I am expecting the worst.

Warhammer 40k
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
psychic disciplines in the core rulebook are similar to the lores of magic in the core for fantasy, there a listing of powers common to multiple armies, an eldar farseeer looking deep into the skin of the warp, a imperial guard sanction psyker playing the emperors tarot, and a space wolf rune priest casting his runes into a bowl made of a massive wolf skull are all useing the divination discipline. But many if not most armies are going to have there own powers in there individual codexes. Orks have never taped into the warp or used the same powers as everyone else, well its totally possible in there errata for 6e Orks may be given temporary access to pyromancy and biomancy once there 6e book is out they will likely have access to only there own very Orkey Powers.

I know Orks do not use the Warp the same way (woohoo weirdboyz), but with all the talk of the new physic phase being like the magic phase from WHFB (which I know nothing about) and Orks being left out of it....makes me worry about the viability of da Boyz.  And having to wait 2-3 years for a new codex to just to play the Orks doesn't sound like alot of fun.

But hopefully 6th doesn't completely kill my army. 

Warhammer 40k
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 07:53:04 AM »
But hopefully 6th doesn't completely kill my army. 
You have Dakkajets, you'll be fine. :)

New editions usually mean Space Marines love. Think of it like a new codex, because really the core Marines aren't going to change all that much.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »
I think were forgetting the important part here:  You don't need vehicles to win  ;D

Besides, on the topic of what armies saw favor in the new edition, its really just a wash.  The recent codices with the highest potential have been close combat favored (DE, GK), and now they have a balancing factor. 

Its horrible when shooty armies have to aim at things sometimes, how these magical 5th ed bullets manage to always hit the douche with the bolter when I aimed at the meltagun is beyond me  ???
Tiger's Den founding member

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 09:00:58 AM »
I will reserve judgement until after I've read the new book.  For now though, things do seem intriguing.  I'm especially interested in seeing how Snipers will perform in the next edition.  Personally, I've always felt them impractical/underpowered simply by comparison to their usual counterparts (ie: Scouts vs Tactical Marines, Rangers vs Dire Avengers).

Next week can't come soon enough!
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
The bottom line in my opinion is 40k is not and never will be a balanced game. Just play whatever you want and make it work. I personally am very happy with most of what I am hearing except for a few items (like fortifications) that will like only be used in friendly games anyway. Orks and very powerful now and that does not seem to be changing and my daemons seem to be getting bonkers so consider me a very happy customer.....based on rumors of course.

andalucien

• God
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »
Flying monstrous creatures can zoom 24" and do a "vector attack" like Necron command barges.

That's just cool.
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

andalucien

• God

tilarium

• Heroic Tier Level 4
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Now that we have a new edition coming out, that means there could be new codieces in the works.  So what I'm really wondering is who we can send suggestions to.  #1 for me is to revert back to the previous rough riders instead of keeping the ones we have now.  I miss the option to have them armed with a variety of weapons... lasguns, laspistols, flamers, grenade launchers, shotguns.. all with a CCW and not a mandatory waste of space one shot blunder explody stick!