Author Topic: [Plainville MA] Community Run 40k Escalation League 7/1 - 10/21  (Read 1153 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
This Escalation League is being run by Brenton Van Durme and James Gianotti.  They are doing this to get their friends interested in the hobby, give new players that come with the new edition something to join in with, and appeal to veteran players looking to start a new army.

Here is a link to the Facebook Event post.  All of the details can be found there.

Mission Statement:

The purpose of this escalation league is to introduce new players to the game, or help veteran players looking to build a new army, through a slow build system.

This is to help players understand how each new piece of their army works, as well as help players paint their new models as they expand their army, without the overwhelming sensation of having a mountain of models to build and paint

By the end of the league you will have completed building an army that is standard tournament size (1500 and 1850), as well as painted at least some of it.

Players will be eligible to win prizes based on battle performance AND painting throughout the duration of the league.

Here is a summary of the rules they plan to use:

-We will all meet on July 1st at Battlegrounds to officially begin the league. Initial points should be purchased by then.

-Armies must follow correct Force Org. chart at all times. (1 HQ and 2 troops min at all times)

-Special Characters ARE allowed.

-NO Forgeworld or Apoc rules allowed.

For the 500 point games the following rules apply:

-No armor saves of 2+

-No monstrous creatures

-No vehicles other than dedicated transports

-Necron transports do not benefit from the qunatum shielding rules

-HQs are NOT restricted by rules 1 or 2

-After 500 points these rules no longer apply.

Point scoring:

-League points will be kept track of throughout the duration of the league for the purposes of determining prize distrpbution at the end of the league.

-League points will be comprised of the sum of points gained from playing games (battle points), and points scored from painting (painting points).

-Battle results (win, draw, loss) should be recorded, and reported, to Jimmy AND Brenton for addition into league standings.

Battle point scoring:

-As of July 1st you can score battle points from a maximum of four games a week at the current point values.

-All 4 matches can NOT be against the same player.

-You may only score points from two games a week against the same player. (eg. Brenton and Jimmy play 5 games in a week. Only the first 2 games actually score them points. They have to play games against other players to score the remaining 2 games worth of points for the week.)

-From every game you play you will receive 3 points for a WIN, 2 points for a DRAW, and 1 point for a LOSS.

-In between each escalation point boost you can gain a MAXIMUM of 15 points. For example, while we are playing at 500 points you can gain 15 victory points over the first 4 weeks.

- In between each escalation boost point you need to play at least one game in order to score ANY points (battle or painting) for that section.

Painting point scoring:

-Painting points will be determined at the begining of each new point value boost. Results will need to be documented, either by photograph sent to Jimmy and/or Brenton, OR by inspection from Jimmy and/or Brenton. Points will be recorded into league standings upon verification.

-To receive full points for painting you must paint the entire escalation boost before the next point level.

-You can receive half credit for painting, if you paint the boost points before escalations end.

-The initial 500 points will be worth 8 points.

-All other point ranges will be worth 6 points.

- To be considered painted a model must have a min of 3 different colors, as well as something on the base such as sand, flock, etc. (GW's tourny painting standards)

-If you paint everything on time before each boost you will receive 6 additional painting points at the end of the league. This will essentially score you an extra section's worth of points!

The Escalation Boost Points will be as follows:

-July 1st is 500 points. Everyone should be in attendance to build and play some games on this day.The day will be geared towards getting to know the other players in the league as well as learning how to build, paint, and play as needed/wanted. ( Jimmy and Brenton will be on hand to answer any and all questions, as well as provide help and insite on all hobby issues)

-July 29th we go up to 750 points. (The first 500pts should be painted)

-August 19th we go to 1000 points. (The previous 250pts should be painted)

-September 9th we go upto 1,250 points. (Tthe previous 250pts should be painted)

-September 30th is 1,500 points. (The previous 250pts should be painted)

-October 21st we are at our destination of 1,850 points. (The previous 250pts should be painted) As this jump is 350pts we have an extra week to finish painting.

-November 18th will be an 1,850 tournament that will either add points to your score based on place, OR if we have enough prize support this will have separate prizes.

-Each week you may change your army around if you don't like the current build. Your army list is hard-locked in for each week, NOT each boost. (This is to help players throughly test each new aspect of their army to figure out how it works.)

-You may purchase any amount of you army at any time, as long as you keep up with the escalation boosts. (Though we highly recommend NOT buying the whole army at once. Doing so tends to crush any desire to paint due to a sensation of being overwhelmed by the high # of models waiting to be painted. Trust us... we know...)

-You can purchase new models to change your lists, or expand your collection, if wanted/required.

-REMEMBER TO KEEP RECEIPTS! (These are required for the prize pool development) Inital your recieopts and give them to Jimmy or Brenton for recording (you will get them back).

Escalation end: Scoring

-Total league points will be recorded thorughout the duration of the league and will be comprised of the sum of battle points AND painting points.

-Battle points must be reported to Jimmy and Brenton by both players. Should include date of game, both player's names, and results of the game (win, loss, draw).

-Painting points will be calculated as point sections are completed. Full points for sections completed on time, and half points for sections completed late.

-No points will be granted for sections completed AFTER Nov 18th (the end of the league).

-Painting completion must be verified by Jimmy and/or Brenton. (see painting section for more info)

-In the case of a tie the player with the higher painting score will win.

-If a tie still occures then the player with the stronger strength of schedule will win. (Player that played more opponents with more wins)

-If a tie STILL persists then the effected players will be locked in a cage for a fight to the death! (or something like that)

Escalations end: PRIZES!!!

- The prize pool will be DIRECTLY associated with how much people spend on their armies at the store.

-If you DO NOT purchase at least 70% of your army at Battlegrounds Plainville you will NOT be eligible for prizes. (Army $ value will be calculated using the GW prices for items)

-Purchase % will be kept track of by Jimmy and Brenton. We will be making copies of receipts for recording, and then giving back the originals to you.

Prizes will be awarded to the following:

-1st and 2nd based on total league points.

-There may be a third place if the prize pool is large enough.

-Best painted: This will be decided by a peer vote (you can't vote for yourself.

-NOOB award: Highest league points (battle and painting) among players who have either never played 40k before or have not played in 5th edition. (This is only given to a player if they DIDN'T qualify for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place.)

::NOTICE::

July 1st notes: Keep the day free to meet at Battlegrounds Plain ville to meet everyone

-You need your 500 point army by then. (Please place orders at Battle grounds for your models before the 1st, so that you can at least begin to assemble your army on the 1st.)

- Army does not have to be built by the first, as we will be encouraging players to build their armies together on the 1st, or earlier. (Bitz swapping is encouraged!)

-Your army can be built, and primed (NOT painted) if desired prior to the 1st.

-Bring everything required to build models play some games, or even start some painting.

If anyone has any questions, comments, or issues with the rules please contact Jimmy or Brenton.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: [Plainville MA] Community Run 40k Escalation League 7/1 - 10/21
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »
I played against James at the tournament this weekend and had a chance to chat with him, and later both him and Brenton. They're nice guys, and I really hope the league works out for all involved!

steelforge

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:09:53 PM »
Which store is this going on at?
And the FB link takes me nowheres!

Such a cool idea, I totally want to play.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:28:00 AM »
He he, John. Thread title, Plainville. :D

One guy who was building his Tau army at the store last night.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
Looks like they've got it set up as a private event.  I just sent you an invite, John.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
They've got somewhere between 6-8 players, almost all of which are brand new.

steelforge

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
Thanks Chase!
This sounds awesome, an in 6e, we're all new players!

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
So, Chase, got your invite, and I appreciate it.  But a few questions:

1) This seems more for newer players.  I like me a good league, I think that's fun, but I don't want to be crashing newer players good time.

2) It sounds like the expectation is 4 games a week?  That's more than some of us old married men can keep up with.

3)  It seems like a big part of this is to buy 70% of your army through the store.  I can certainly support that, but it's just not likely in my case.....I have most of the models I need at this point.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
Matt, I sent you the invite just in case you were interested in it.

1)  They have designed it for new / newer players and experienced players looking to start a new army.  You're obviously very experienced and competitive.  Because of this it may or may not be enjoyable for you.

2)  If the expectation is 4 games a week then yeah, it's a bit much for a lot of people to finish, especially as the point levels get higher.

3)  They have included the 70% clause on their own.  Personally, I'm cool with it ;).  I definitely understand having most of the stuff you need at this point.  I believe the league is still open to players in your situation, but I think the way they've set it up is that you can't qualify for prizes.

Worst case scenario, you can count on players being at the store on Sunday afternoons.  :)

hudhouse

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:53 PM »
a few questions
1: When is it? like 1PM-8PM?
2:What days are it
3: Would anyone mind if a kid joined?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:05:04 PM »
1) The store is open from 11am - 7pm on Sundays.  I would imagine the league will run between those times.

2) The league will get together on Sundays.  If you can get league games together on other days, that's fine too.

3) I don't think anyone would mind if a younger person joined.  They are the next generation of gamer!!  :)

Mad Dok Rob

• Paragon Tier Level 16
  • Da Orks are Da Best
    • http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

3)  They have included the 70% clause on their own.  Personally, I'm cool with it ;).  I definitely understand having most of the stuff you need at this point.  I believe the league is still open to players in your situation, but I think the way they've set it up is that you can't qualify for prizes.

Worst case scenario, you can count on players being at the store on Sunday afternoons.  :)

That is cool to know.  I was interested in this, but the purchase requirement was getting me.  I got two Ravenwing Box Sets on ebay cheap a month ago, so I have a major portion of my second (much smaller) army.
http://fingerpaintingwitharchimedes.blogspot.com/

Warhammer 40k
6,914 pts Waaagh Dakkagut (Goff Orks)
4,913 pts Dark Angels 

Warmachine   
     183 pts Protectorate of Menoth

hudhouse

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 07:40:02 PM »
Sweet! Just a few more questions
1: Will we be able to do the allience rules, like for say my Necron and Tyranids fusing together
2: Can you just come into the League at any time?
3: Is the league free?
4: I really dont know what Bitz are
5: Is it every sunday? There is massive gaps between changes.
Thanks for helping  ;D

MadMasha

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »
Hello,

This is Brenton (one of the people running the league). If you have specific questions, and have an invite to the facebook page, then please go there first and look at the rules. That should deal with most questions.

If you have further questions please feel free to contact me, though I won’t be able to respond until the evening since I work during the day.

To respond to hudhouse:

1.) We will be using all of the rules in the 6th Ed rule book. This should include allies, buyable terrain, etc.

2.) You can join the league at any point. However, you will be granted a lesser amount of points from the point sections that you skipped. You will also need to catch up on painting in order to qualify for any points from that. As such I would strongly recommend trying to get in on the ground floor. Otherwise you will fall behind the other members in points, painting in particular. This will make it very difficult to actually win any prizes at the end.

3.) The League is free to compete in. However, as it is aimed at new players and vets looking to build a brand new army we have implemented a rule that states you have to purchase AT LEAST 70% of the army you are using for the league from BG in order to qualify for ANY prizes. Basically if you are not putting in money towards building the prize pool then we don’t feel you should get prizes out of it. But if you already have an army and are just looking for players then you may still join. You will just get a handshake and a high five at the end if you were to qualify for a prize, and it would be given to the next player down in points.

4.) Bitz is the term used for the mountain of spare parts left over from different kits and armies that you have built over the years. If you are new to table top gaming you probably don’t have many, or any, bitz lying around. Veteran players, like me, sometimes find ourselves drowning in bitz from all the armies we purchase and build over the years.

5a.) the official league day will be Sundays. This is likely when the most players will meet at BG at one time. This does not mean that you can’t play league games on other days throughout the week. In fact you will most likely have to play on other days if you want to reach your max of 4 scoring games a week (you don’t have to play 4 games a week).

5b.) Yes there are large gaps between point escalations. There are several reasons for this. These larger gaps make the game more approachable for players if they can spread out their spending on an army over 6 months rather than buying a whole army at once. Also, since there are points to be earned by painting you need some time to paint each new point group before the next. I know I personally would have no chance of painting each new point section in only a week or so, what with working a min of 40 hours a week on top of running the league.

I hope this addressed your questions.

Let me know if anyone has more.

Thank you.

~Brenton

hudhouse

• Heroic Tier Level 1
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
Could i be able to have a link to the group? The one i use dosn't work here