Author Topic: TempleCon: I am interested in hearing about your experience.  (Read 735 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
TempleCon: I am interested in hearing about your experience.
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
Tell me about the convention.

I am interested in:

your stories
pictures of gaming related stuff
what you liked
what you didn't like
the best aspect
the worst aspect
what you would change
what you would not change
anything else you feel the need to add

This stems purely from curiosity.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
Re: TempleCon: I am interested in hearing about your experience.
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
The costumes were pretty cool, and the dancer on friday night with the pasty's was interesting.  Other than that most of it was standard fare, although they did have the warstore and battlefoam booth's there.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:10:51 PM »
I would have gone just to hug (possibly snuggle) Neal.

Tharcil

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
A fantastic weekend.  The charity, doubles event was a blast on Friday...I think, the cooler had 24 beverages in it when we started and 0 when we were done so this is a little foggy.  Tables were well setup, the raffle and auctions were a hit. Given it was for charity and rules took a back seat to fun it made for a very loose enjoyable day.  When I was asked how I felt that one team hit us with 9 orbital bombardments that they purchased in a single shooting phase, my response "I'll suffer that if it feeds 3 families for a week!"

The main tourney was also well run and obviously much more serious.  The scenarios were pretty good.  I wasn't able to find them posted ahead of time and really wish I had known going into it so that I would have had a better handle how to play them.  Terrain was adequate for the number of tables, but would have liked to have seen more line of site blocking pieces

There were at least 5 armies I was really impressed with the painting, and the majority were good.  All 5 rounds were well organized.  There were frequent updates on time remaining and I didn't see or hear many rules disputes at all.

Only things that I could critique would first be the wording on sportsmanship.  Double negatives confuse me and after each game almost gave my opponent a negative rating instead of a positive one.  The other would be to take the PA system from the Waramahordes tourney, turn the volume downd by 1/2 and have the 40k organizers use it.  My ear drums were near to bleeding by the end of the first day from that damn thing!

Looking forward to this again next year already!

jfoodmaster

• Paragon Tier Level 12
  • For the United Kriels!
    • Building and Painting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »
Since Battlefoam was gonna be there, I emailed them to ask if they'd have Hordes bag trays there. I was told that they would. So, on sat I went up and saw the trays I wanted. Romeo (who is a dick in person) told me in a completely dickish way that everything on the table was just there for people who preordered to pick up and that he didn't have any product for sale. But,he was doing free shipping for anything I would buy. Then he turned his head back to the conversation that I (as a customer) was clearly interruping. I walked away without opening my wallet. I also heard him say at one point that he wasn't wearing a BF shirt cuz he didn't 'want to be asked a million questions'. I EXPECT good customer service all the time (because I work in retail). If didn't already own one of his bags, I wouldn't purchase one completely on that interraction. I'm actually pissed that I still want a couple of trays.

I played a bunch of Iron Arena games and had some fun with that. The PP staff was circulating and were interracting with players. So, that was cool.

That was my experience. I played lots of games and at the end of my 2 days had a nice chat with Rick.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:43:33 AM »
For me, this was exactly what I wish all GT's were like. The competition was great, I was a big fan of 4 out of the five missions (capture and control spearhead a no no) and it was nice to be out of the basement. The best aspect was the perfect start and stop times left for plenty of time for me favorite part of GTs; socializing. The Saturday was starting at 9 and ending at 6. Perfect. Dinner with lots of friends and some extra curriculars after makes for a perfect first day. Sunday also ended promptly on time leaving plenty of time to help clean up and catch the game.

The worst aspect was as mentioned the loudspeaker. This doesn't sound like a big deal but when the warmachine TO is just having conversations over it for 10 hours your throat gets sore from yelling over the table. Also we could not hear anything from Keith.

I had 5 great and very tough games and came in 3rd battle points and 3rd overall so I am very happy. If anyone is interested in my list and my games send me a PM or e-mail. I fought Orks, CSM, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, and Space Wolves

andalucien

• God
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:13:11 AM »
I had a great time at the convention & tourney... the convention offered some interesting things to shop for & look at (ahem).  I had 5 exciting games with my Necrons... handed out some beatdown and took some beatings in return and hopefully learned some things.  Troy kicked my butt as he always does.

I just want to gush over one of the missions:  I believe was game 3.  There were 5 objectives, and you accumulated points throughout the game by holding an objective with a disembarked unit at the end of your opponent's turn.  After playing this, I'm convinced that it's how objectives should always work in 40k. 
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
I agree. That mission was fantastic.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »
you accumulated points throughout the game by holding an objective with a disembarked unit at the end of your opponent's turn.  After playing this, I'm convinced that it's how objectives should always work in 40k. 

This, to me, makes the most sense.  You need an actual PERSON on an objective to control it.  Can't be hiding in a vehicle... has to be out there in the thick of it holding the point.  I love this idea.

The fact that they only score at the end of your opponents turn makes a ton of sense to me as well.  That way you can't just have 2nd turn and rush points and score... you need to actually defend a point for an entire enemy turn before you get credit for it.  It allows for counter-strikes and attacks on both sides, which is really how it should be!
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:30:58 PM »
As a whole and in all the individual aspects the entire weekend was a blast. Got to chill with my team Dark Star plenty, got to meet several new players, some internet personalities I follow like Alex "Jawaballs" and Nick "The Brown Paintbrush". Learned as much in one weekend about competitive 40K and how awesome it can be and fun.

Everyone was great at the GT.

Templecon itself was cool and different the occasional eye candy during breaks was nice as well. I liked all the different vendors both gaming and non gaming related.

The loud speaker was a pain but that would be the only complaint.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:09:38 AM »
I have to mimic what everyone said.  Great experience great fun.  I caught the plague on Sunday however and had to drop from the GT something I have never had to do so it hit me pretty hard.  The only bad things to say was about the damn PA system.

Not sure how sunday went as I left after working my way through my game with Ben but overall I had a good time even if the plage took me out till today....  3 days later...
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing