Author Topic: Immortals: Gauss or Tesla?  (Read 1240 times)

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Immortals: Gauss or Tesla?
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »
So, I've been looking at the new Necrons (and may or may not have picked up a few) and I've been wondering what the best way to go for Immortals is as far as weaponry goes.

Gauss seems to be better for anti-vehicle, but if you're fielding Warriors (which you are) then wouldn't you have that covered?  Tesla seems nice for the arcing fact, and that it's an assault weapon... but will you often be assaulting with Immortals?

If anyone has thoughts / suggestions on this, let me know!

-Steve
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

KestrelM1

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
Re: Immortals: Gauss or Tesla?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »
So, I've been looking at the new Necrons (and may or may not have picked up a few) and I've been wondering what the best way to go for Immortals is as far as weaponry goes.

Gauss seems to be better for anti-vehicle, but if you're fielding Warriors (which you are) then wouldn't you have that covered?  Tesla seems nice for the arcing fact, and that it's an assault weapon... but will you often be assaulting with Immortals?

If anyone has thoughts / suggestions on this, let me know!

-Steve

Tesla every time. Gauss is good only for suppressing vehicles, and the typical Necron army has vehicle suppression out the wazoo already. The Tesla status will help you pour wounds into infantry from a safe distance.

The Assault status on the gun is not so you can go into assault with it, it's so you can stay 24" away from whatever is trying to assault you. Not needing to stay still is a huge benefit on a 24" gun.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 11:58:36 AM »
Tesla all the way, its either that or gauss with a Phaeron Lord.

Tesla's cheaper by far.
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
From everything I've heard, Tesla is not only better mechanically, but it's just more fun.

Mike_k

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Dark Star Wargaming
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
Ben Mohlie is actually removing his remaining Gauss for MOAR Tesla.
Kingergarten Class Best Costume 1983
5th Grade Spelling Bee Spring Circuit Champion
6th Grade CYO Basketball Playoffs Semifinals Game
MVP
Lead Alter Boy Threepeat 88, 89, 90
8th Grade CYO Basketball State Champ Benchwarmer
Club Dark Star, Just 2 Bro's, Murda Bidness, Founding Bro
Eagle Scout 1996

Kbfranklin

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:46:11 PM »
Tesla all the way. I've seen 10 Immortal shoot them and they rolled 3-3's & 7-6's(14 extra hits)= 24 hits
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:27:39 PM by Kbfranklin »
Warhammer 40k armies I have are Blood Angel, Imperial Guard, Necrons, Orks, Space Wolves(Grimnar's), Space Wolves(Ragnar's), Tau Empire & Tyranids