Author Topic: Check out Mike Salzman's latest terrain piece.  (Read 3451 times)

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
Re: Check out Mike Salzman's latest terrain piece.
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2012, 03:43:27 PM »
Not to be a Dick but why don't you guys work in your community to build terrian. I don't feel riding the coat tails of mike would be fair. In my opinion abington had a really good painting community a year ago and then it died for some reason. At the moment you have only really one person working on terrian and that is nick who works at the store. Something Derek all so. Derek just fisish his tower finally and nick has just made in my opinion the best hill table in the community. A lot of the terrain in both stores is old. Mike has said he want to start a class for the plainville store. I don't see why from the abington someone can't start a class with thier rich painting backround.

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:54 PM »
it is more because most of the terrain started as abington terrain. and then was stolen to become plainville terrain. so as a community we built terrain and then had it stolen. So we are not riding anyone curtails. and by the way i am not positive but am pretty sure that mike made terrain for the second megabattle before plainville was even open(but i could be wrong or mixing him up with another person).
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2012, 08:58:39 PM »
Not to be a Dick but why don't you guys work in your community to build terrian. I don't feel riding the coat tails of mike would be fair. In my opinion abington had a really good painting community a year ago and then it died for some reason. At the moment you have only really one person working on terrian and that is nick who works at the store. Something Derek all so. Derek just fisish his tower finally and nick has just made in my opinion the best hill table in the community. A lot of the terrain in both stores is old. Mike has said he want to start a class for the plainville store. I don't see why from the abington someone can't start a class with thier rich painting backround.

Not to start a flame war but dude pay attention to our posts. We were in no way serious. We put up smiliesto indicate sarcasm and jokingly asked if he would make a forterss monestary. Our terrain at the store is sufficient, it just sucks that we dont have as a rich diverse terrain pool as we used to because as Seth said most of it was taken. So that kind of makes us not want to make terrain, and also many of us have busy life scheduals. Also a lot of the community has moved onto collage. In the future please look before you leap.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
No serious? No jokes ok. I was just trying to understand where you guys were coming from. I go to both store and people tell me crazy rumors from the abington side and a lot of hate. I feel you are doing a amazing part on the abington end Steve and I don't want to make you angry. I might have pieced the info posted from differnet people wrong. I guess it is hard for a build and a rebuild at the same time. Lastly I was no flaming your post on him making you a spacemarine thingy I was talking about the comments after I am sorry.

King of the Elves

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2012, 11:12:25 PM »
i'm up to the task of making terrain for abington, i have been looking online and it seems pretty easy once you get the hang of things. So hopefully in a couple of months i'll see if i am "worthy enough" of making store terrain. I think a ewok village thing from star wars would be cool.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:34:45 PM by King of the Elves »

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2012, 11:26:33 PM »
No serious? No jokes ok. I was just trying to understand where you guys were coming from. I go to both store and people tell me crazy rumors from the abington side and a lot of hate. I feel you are doing a amazing part on the abington end Steve and I don't want to make you angry. I might have pieced the info posted from differnet people wrong. I guess it is hard for a build and a rebuild at the same time. Lastly I was no flaming your post on him making you a spacemarine thingy I was talking about the comments after I am sorry.

no worries dude. Im tired of hearing the "Abington has no terrain so we wont play any more" excuse and I just got a bit peeved. All under the bridge now. Peace!

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »
You know, this does sound like something maybe we can incorporate into the tale of x gamers league we all have going -- maybe we can all chip in a little bit of time to get a terrain piece constructed and painted -- if it's one piece by the end of the league, I think 16 people working when their free time permits can definitely get something impressive created.

Maybe a few people volunteer to plan/design it, and the rest build and paint it? It could be a centerpiece for an end of league apocalypse battle :)

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
I would gladly donation all my bitz if you guys did something like that.

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
I have some store credit I'd be willing to donate towards buying buildings and stuff too if this gets off the ground.

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 09:48:32 PM »
Well if enough people are seriously interested we can do a Terrain making thing I guess. But there would be a few issues.

1. Who wants the responsibility of overseeing this?

2. Not to sound rude or stuck up but would there be a degree of expectation to be held as to the quality of the terrain?

3. Who would like to participate?

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »
2. Not to sound rude or stuck up but would there be a degree of expectation to be held as to the quality of the terrain?

I would imagine so.

StrategicCommand

• Paragon Tier Level 11
    • Strategic Command Wargaming Club
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »
So I am glad both communities are looking at this thread. I think great terrain really can make casual games and tournaments very memorable. I will be talking to chase to arrange a class of sorts to teach what I know so others who have the "build terrain" bug to bring their imaginations into existence.  I now that my terrain is incredible fun to make and build but most of it comes to me while I am building and I modify and change my layouts until it gels for me.

Things to think about when creating terrain:

Size
Theme
Indoor / Outdoor / Ruins?
Playablity
Does it work with current terrain available to add to a theme or type of terrain.

My second piece is done as of last night. I will be bringing it to the store this week for Chase's final approval and to see if he wants me to change or add something. I have ideas about making this part of a new table I am working on in my head. We will see if Chase likes the idea.

Hope to see you all soon.
Strategic Command Wargaming Club
Plan, Command, Control
www.wargamingclub.com

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:16 PM »

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »
what does the backside look like (the opposite side of the back wall). it looks awesome.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

King of the Elves

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:45 PM »
i see zombie crawl in this terrain's future  ;D