Author Topic: Lots of FAQ updates  (Read 2302 times)

KestrelM1

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
Re: Lots of FAQ updates
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
Those 2 FAQ questions are contradictory when it comes to drop pods cause its saying I choose to deploy this half walks on the table this half drop pods in. Can't do that but it seems like you take a 10 man assault squad you combat squad which you cant do in reserves can somehow deep strike 2 different locations as Combat squads.

All it really means is that the entire unit must use the same method of entering the table, and are rolled for as a single unit in reserves. You can't split a unit and have one squad Outflank and the other Infiltrate. You could, however, have both squads Outflank and arrive on different sides of the table.

Benshin, the rules for Combat Squads explicitly allow you to split into Combat Squads when you disembark from a Drop Pod, so no harm was done there. The FAQ is just explicitly preventing you from having two combat squads deploy via different methods, as outlined above.

JWebs, Sanctuary explicitly mentions that enemy units treat all terrain, even open terrain,  as both difficult and dangerous, so the assaulting units would still go to initiative 1 because they count as moving through difficult terrain. Similarly, Slow and Purposeful specifically states that the unit counts as moving through difficult terrain. The Venomthrope, on the other hand, simply says that assaulting units must take a dangerous terrain test. It makes no mention that they count as moving through terrain of any kind, and thus their initiative is not reduced.

Thefallen, come now, you couldn't have expected that to last all that long :P Also, I'm fairly certain vehicles are prohibited from being scoring units (unless you're extra-speshul like Grey Knights).

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »
"Q: When a Lychguard with a dispersion shield is hit by a blast or template weapon the template isn’t relocated. Can the hit itself still be deflected? (p35)
A: Yes."

I didn't expect this, so it seems that the blast is not deflected, but the HIT IS?
WOW.
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »
"Q: When a Lychguard with a dispersion shield is hit by a blast or template weapon the template isn’t relocated. Can the hit itself still be deflected? (p35)
A: Yes."

I didn't expect this, so it seems that the blast is not deflected, but the HIT IS?
WOW.
I guess it's to try and cleanly resolve when the template covers more than the Lychguard unit. So if a unit of Warriors and a unit of Lychguard are under a template, the Lychguard can save themselves, but the Warriors are not saved.

cryptoron

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 09:34:08 PM »
yeah, and apparently deflect the hits at an enemy unit from a template hit.  Something I wouldn't have taken from the original wording. 
"A Thunderhawk full of Necrons...WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW!!!!!"

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
Well, maybe GW just needs to move more Lychguard units.  :D

Seth

• Heroic Tier Level 10
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
Wait so i get it straight because i wasn't aware. I play grey knights, so i can't combat 10 men termis and have 1/2 deep strike and half on the field, but i can have the whole squad deep strike and split them when they arrive. Or have them seperate on the table to begin with. or put 1/2 in a rhino or razorback and 1/2 on foot.
those who win every battle are not really skillful- those who render others' armies helpless without fighting are the best of all.  ~Master Sun Tzu

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
Seth, best as I understand it, you are correct.

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 03:41:05 AM »
Good thing they nerfed Lash, it was getting out of control!

Grand Master Steve

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:44 PM »

every one will just take warp time now

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
Interesting Debate topic I heard about considering Swarms is Instant Death Template wounds.

Using Scarab Swarms as an Example they Are Vulnerable to Templates meaning they Suffer 2 wounds for every Unsaved Wound from a Template. They have a Toughness 3 so you hit them with a Flamestorm Cannon Removes Cover and is STR 6 they don't get a save from it so you have 4 wounds inflicted on them that are unsaved. Now the Issue is when do you double those wounds since they are instant death do you place the 4 wounds on models then double the wounds on the models or do you allocate 8 wounds that would kill them all?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
Interesting Debate topic I heard about considering Swarms is Instant Death Template wounds.

Using Scarab Swarms as an Example they Are Vulnerable to Templates meaning they Suffer 2 wounds for every Unsaved Wound from a Template. They have a Toughness 3 so you hit them with a Flamestorm Cannon Removes Cover and is STR 6 they don't get a save from it so you have 4 wounds inflicted on them that are unsaved. Now the Issue is when do you double those wounds since they are instant death do you place the 4 wounds on models then double the wounds on the models or do you allocate 8 wounds that would kill them all?
What?.... I'll provide a step-by-step tutorial best as I can, praying to the Emperor it answers whatever question is being asked.

Template is placed over Scarabs.
Calculate number of total number of hits.
Roll to wound.
The number of wounds is doubled, as Swarms are Vulnerable to Templates/Blasts.
Allocate wounds.
Roll saves.
Remove models, removing whole models where possible.

In the Scarab example, let's say there's a unit of 10 Scarab bases. A Flamestorm cannon drops its template over 6 of those bases, so 6 hits. Let's take the average and say 5 wounds are inflicted. Then that number is doubled to 10 wounds. Each base is allocated a Str 6 wound. Armor saves (AP 3) and cover saves (template weapon) are denied, so no saves are possible. Therefore, each base suffers a Str 6 wound. Because Str 6 is double Toughness 3, each base suffers Instant Death. The entire unit of xenos filth is purged for the Emprah.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:15:23 PM by Benjamin »

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »

every one will just take warp time now
And it was clarified which is more of a nerf.

Good thing Chaos seems to be the only codex that has to roll to hit with it's psychic shooting attacks.

This is why I retreat to IA books.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 07:25:38 PM »

What?.... I'll provide a step-by-step tutorial best as I can, praying to the Emperor it answers whatever question is being asked.

Roll to wound.
The number of wounds is doubled, as Swarms are Vulnerable to Templates/Blasts.
Allocate wounds.
Roll saves.
Remove models, removing whole models where possible.

In the Scarab example, let's say there's a unit of 10 Scarab bases. A Flamestorm cannon drops its template over 6 of those bases, so 6 hits. Let's take the average and say 5 wounds are inflicted. Then that number is doubled to 10 wounds. Each base is allocated a Str 6 wound. Armor saves (AP 3) and cover saves (template weapon) are denied, so no saves are possible. Therefore, each base suffers a Str 6 wound. Because Str 6 is double Toughness 3, each base suffers Instant Death. The entire unit of xenos filth is purged for the Emprah.

Ben page 76 Vulnerable to Blasts/Templates : Some units are especially vulnerable to blast weapons and template weapons. If the unit is a vehicle, then each hit counts as 2 hits. If it is not a vehicle, each unsaved wound is doubled to 2 wounds.

Roll to wound.
Allocate wounds.
Roll saves.
Then the wounds are doubled for any saves not made.

The question comes up because your allocating 4 original wounds to models then the wounds on those models double if they are not saved. So you only would roll 4 saves for 4 units then they would be doubled for each guy does that mean the automatically allocate to a different model?
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Logan007

• Epic Tier Level 22
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 07:49:52 PM »
Ben page 76 Vulnerable to Blasts/Templates : Some units are especially vulnerable to blast weapons and template weapons. If the unit is a vehicle, then each hit counts as 2 hits. If it is not a vehicle, each unsaved wound is doubled to 2 wounds.

Roll to wound.
Allocate wounds.
Roll saves.

The question comes up because your allocating 4 original wounds to models then the wounds on those models double if they are not saved. So you only would roll 4 saves for 4 units then they would be doubled for each guy does that mean the automatically allocate to a different model?

It sounds like they would roll over to other models to me...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 09:00:45 PM by Logan007 »

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »

Roll to wound.
Allocate wounds.
Roll saves.

It sounds like they would roll over to other models to me...
To me as well.  This actually happened in a doubles tournament in Plainville.  The scarabs were hit by a Vindicator blast (Str 10, AP 2).  I forget exactly how many were in the unit, but the majority of them were hit, wounds were allocated as Ben described, and the entire squad wiped out as a result of too many Instant Death wounds.  And while the situation did seem "iffy" at the time, Sam, who was officiating the tournament, came and made the final decision.  We were all pretty certain that this was the case, and accepted the ruling as it was.  But it didn't hurt to clarify.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70