Author Topic: Best source of Servitors?  (Read 2790 times)

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
Best source of Servitors?
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:25:48 PM »
I'm looking to add an inquisitional warband to my grey knights army and i need several servitors, though they don't seem to be sold by themselves

is this my best bet?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1160093a

or should i try ebay and picking them up 1 or 2 at a time?

also need something to fill the role "warrior acolytes" that there is no model for, the codex "suggests" IG stormtroopers so i guess ill look to go that route

also need me some Jockaero weaponsmiths but i know they're sold by the blister pack

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
Re: Best source of Servitors?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:03:52 PM »
To get the most for your money, I think getting the entire Techmarine kit, and then selling the Techmarine individually would be the best bet.  You can always shop around to see who's selling 2nd hand stuff, but that'd obviously take more research.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »
Benshin's got it. Those servitors also happen to be cool models. Not sure how much you can get for a Techmarine on the open market, but it has to be better than a stick in the eye.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 10:59:39 PM »
Though you might consider keeping the tech marine, ive heard that they can be pretty good with grey knights, especially because they can take like 4-5 different grenades at a time.
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:47:10 PM »
I don't know how well Techmarines work out of the GK codex, but for a Vanilla SM player, there are so many different variations to play them, model them, and paint them.

Some of my favorite variants are the Master of the Forge with conversion beam, and a Techmarine with Servo Harness and Combi-Melta.

They can probably be outfitted similarly in the GK codex, but you'd have to check to be sure.  Good luck with your search!
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 01:20:03 AM »
GK Techmarines get many, many more options than the Vanilla SM Techmarine.

GK Tech starts at 90 points, but also has all the GK basic benefits, plus two psychic powers and access to Nemesis weapons, pretty much each grenade and an Orbital Strike relay (50 points).

It'd be fun to see them baby-sit base-to-base Psyfleman Dreads, while the Techmarines fire Conversion Beamers to pass the time.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 02:06:55 AM »
GK Techmarines are the best you are right.
and they are so nasty in cc with all thier wargear

KestrelM1

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 10:13:57 AM »
Conversions are also a great option, especially if you want to avoid duplicate models. There are several vehicle and SM Devastator bits that you can attach to the torso of say, a Cadian or Catachan for gun servitors. Add some tubing and piping to the model and you'll have a serviceable Servitor.

Your best bet for warrior acolytes is probably basic Cadians or Catachans. Keep in mind that they come with Laspistol/CCW as a default, so you may have to trade a bit to get the arm bitz you need. Warriors w/ Boltguns or Storm Bolters will almost certainly requre conversion, as Boltguns are not a common IG sprue.

Chris

• Heroic Tier Level 7
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
I made my retinue out of the tech marine box and some left over Cadians and scouts; I used the Cadians and Scouts as Warrior Acolytes.  Three two boxes plus 6 space marine vehicle multi-meltas made 2 nice shooty retinues.  

I converted my warriors to have storm bolters; and you will have lots of extra storm bolters from the GK boxes.  The vox caster in the Cadian box can also be hacked up to make a model look more like a servitor.
We do not stop playing because we get old. We get old when we stop playing.  -Benjamin Franklin

When you come to the end and you can't go any farther, you've got to go over the wall. Gotta see what's there.  -Gary Gygax

Banosby

• Heroic Tier Level 3
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »
If you're looking for actual Servitor models, ebay or Bartertown are probably your best bet. The Techmarine box set is nice if you can either use or sell off the Techmarine, but expensive otherwise.

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 11:49:30 PM »
thanks guys, im keeping an eye on ebay waiting for some good servitor deals, but maybe ill play around with a list and see if ive got use for a techmarine

XceR

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
They used to sell Servitors in 2-packs in the online store before the conversion to Finecast. Now I don't see them.