Author Topic: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)  (Read 66738 times)

andalucien

• God
Re: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)
« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2012, 01:54:21 PM »
Not to mention, any monstrous creature or anything from Codex:Necrons.
Name:  Matthew Forsyth
Club:  Errybody in the gettin tips
Where I play: basically I only show up for tourneys or when I'm on my way up to New Hampshire to visit my folks.  I live about 45 mins from both stores, to the south.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #391 on: November 06, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
I do not recall seeing a single Land Raider last year. Like I said, most sane, perfectly rational people took balanced lists that did not dump 200-300 points into just one unit.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2012, 11:58:04 AM »
I might take a Dreadknight, jsut warning you.  Or, I might not.  I might take 60 acolytes, and have some pts left over. 

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #393 on: November 07, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
Is there actually another 500 point event in the works?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2012, 07:28:57 PM »
There definitely will be another 500 Point Tournament. When exactly? Not sure. Maybe December, maybe later or much later.

Despite 6th Edition strangeness, I actually feel much more confident in our second attempt. The first attempt went excellently, and what I learned from that should make the second one near perfect.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #395 on: November 09, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »
I'd like to see one early December.  Feels like there's currently a bit of a "hole" in the competive schedule there. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #396 on: November 10, 2012, 01:43:01 AM »
I'd like to see one early December.  Feels like there's currently a bit of a "hole" in the competive schedule there.
There's a couple reasons why Plainville won't be running a 40k event in December. That said, word on the street is that there will be two events in January.  8)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #397 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:11 AM »
Looks like mid-January is our likely target date for a 500 point tournament, so time to work.

I've decided to arrange the missions this way. The first two rounds should be the more fun and wonkier missions. The competition really starts in the third round.

Round 1
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil
Mission: The 6th Has Hit the Fan
5 objectives (4 in table quarters, 1 in center), mysterious objectives. (Chart will be provided as part of mission packet)

Round 2
Deployment: Spearhead (modified), 9" circle of 'non-deployment' in middle of table
Mission: No Quarter, No Retreat
Game decided by Victory Points. Your units with the last model killed in your deployment zone count as double Victory Points for this mission. At the end of the game, your opponent counts your half-strength units remaining in your deployment zone as full VPs scored. A unit is in a deployment zone only if the majority of the unit's models are in the zone. If a unit's position is unable to be determined, it is settled by a roll-off.

Round 3
Deployment: Dawn of War
Mission: Church & Trench
This mission will function as The Relic (p 131), with the following exceptions. This mission will have two Relics equidistantly placed along the center line. Each Relic will be able to be moved at most 3". A unit can control only one Relic at a time.

Round 4
Deployment: Vanguard Strike (modified) / Diagonal. 34" in each direction from the corner of deployment.
Mission: Kill Troops!
Game decided by Victory Points. For this mission, Troops choices are worth double VPs. Troops choices at half-strength will be worth full VPs.

Round 5
Deployment: Dawn of War
Mission: 3 Objectives, 2 Armies, 1 Winner, 0 Tolerance.
One in the table center. One placed along the deployment line by each player, at least 6" from table edge. The winner controls more objectives than their opponent at the end of the game.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:55:49 PM by Benjamin »

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #398 on: November 12, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
I like them, except it looks like you're setting up #3 to be a new version of Roll dice and Tie. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #399 on: November 12, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »
I like them, except it looks like you're setting up #3 to be a new version of Roll dice and Tie.
Victory Points always split a draw.

I could do 3 Relics. I don't know, objective missions on paper to me always look like they'll draw.

SyRael

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #400 on: November 16, 2012, 12:57:32 PM »
I would like to make a recommendation about the date. If the event could be held after Christmas and before New Years eve, we could get more players. That is a time period of all school vacations both college and high school. I am a teacher who has 12 students who all play down at Bg in Abington and some would be able to make it during this time to either store. Honestly, I cannot wait to for this event. I love the idea of a 500 point game.

Brandon   

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #401 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:30 PM »
I would like to make a recommendation about the date. If the event could be held after Christmas and before New Years eve, we could get more players.
The event is capped at 32 players. We should get that many people as is.

We had an extensive too-long discussion over whether the Invitational should be held around this time, and the same points apply as well.

Let the BG employees have something like a holiday.  ;)

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #402 on: November 16, 2012, 08:01:46 PM »
Victory Points always split a draw.

I could do 3 Relics. I don't know, objective missions on paper to me always look like they'll draw.

Honestly, what is wrong with 1?  3 is ok....but then i think it loses a lot of it's distinctiveness.  Either way, I think it's important to do have an odd number. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #403 on: November 16, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Maybe at 500 points 1 Relic becomes less of a giant melee blob. But in most games I've seen, it's wave after wave crashing into each other, countering the counter-assaults. Don't get me wrong, I like assaults, but it always seemed that they'd never resolve and the game would end in a draw anyway.

With more than 1 relic, players need to make decisions. 2 seemed reasonable given the board size, and I really wanted something that wasn't 3 or 5 objectives. Also, 3 relics I thought would spread 500 points too thin. If the game were 1000 or more, it'd be 3 relics no question.

All that said, there's plenty of time to play-test this scenario. I'll put it to the forefront.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #404 on: December 17, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
Pro tip:  Be able to kill a Tervigon
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel