Author Topic: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)  (Read 66762 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)
« Reply #345 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:37 PM »
To repeat the selling point of the last event. Any crazy thing an opponent can do at 500 points is also something you can do. 40k is not balanced, has never been balanced, we can cast the illusion of the ideal aside.

I like 1 HQ, 1 Troop because it should help the Power Armor armies be at least viable. One need only look at the last tournament's results to see how drastically a traditional FOC @ 500 reduces Marine effectiveness. People would have to strongly convince me away from this point, because I like it so far.

I'm planning on scenarios in which Scoring Units will be necessary to win. If your team brings only the two Troops minimum, your team is likely to be at a significant disadvantage for a majority of the event.

Chase and I still have to discuss round length. I remember many people being stunned that the tournament was over so soon, despite having played 5 rounds @ 45 minutes. Even 5 rounds @ 1 hour each will be shorter than the last Singles event. 32 teams will require some more time than 32 players, but an exact number will require playtesting to narrow down. If only there were a weekly gathering of 40k players willing to run some crazy lists...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:21:39 PM by Benjamin »

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
>.> I know what Im running at 500 Points and I think making it 1 HQ 1 Troop Mandatory not going to change much for me.

I don't know about other people but I've tried talking at least 2 people interested in 40k into coming to play with a more experienced person on their team.

500 Points with Marines was difficult to fill out the FOC but I already had decided I was being silly coming into it. We had 4 Vanilla marine players and I played 1 of them tabling him and skewing the results.

Marines (of any type.) will get a big boost from the change to the FOC. I think other races will get a boost as well especially Tau.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
 I could play a trial game next week.  Not this week. 

I think 45 pts was just a little too short last time.  It was enough, but I still felt under enormous time pressure to finish each round, and it occurs to me that we just didn't have to.  1 hour would have been more than enough time, and led to relaxed, enjoyable games, while still being able to fit 5 in a day. 

For doubles 500/1000 pts?  I dunno, it's a little harder.  I really liked having the 5 games, it enough to do it win/loss, and that was great.  Maybe we could try 1 hour 15min?  Does that work?  My gut is that would be tight again but doable. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2012, 07:43:50 PM »
I figure 45 minutes for a lunch break. I figure to allow for 15 minutes between rounds as well as for the post-award ceremony. That's all about 2 unavoidable "downtime" hours.

That in mind, the pure playing time.

60 minutes a round @ 5 rounds gives us a total of 300 minutes... 5 hours.
65 minutes @ 5 rounds is 325 minutes... 5 hours, 25 minutes.
70 minutes @ 5 rounds is 350 minutes... 5 hours, 50 minutes.
75 minutes @ 5 rounds is 375 minutes... 6 hours, 15 minutes.

I feel fine with rounds cutting it close because all of the scenarios will be released beforehand, well in advance of the event. But doubles matches are inherently more complex and the 5 round format really pushes the time issue. I'm really hoping playtesting solves this problem for us.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »
I have faith in playtesting.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: March 30, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »
Hans and I will be around Plainville tomorrow dabbling w lists if anyone wants to play test.

Ben, can you shoot me some missions you want to test?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: March 30, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »
I'll do that, if I don't show up there myself.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: March 30, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
We'll be there. We could use 1k to square off against if you come down. We will be doing reg ole games of not so come down anyway

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: March 31, 2012, 08:52:37 PM »
So... Bill and I got a playtest game in. The scenario and deployment for the new mission is nearly perfect. Also, 1 HQ and 1 Troop choice really helped out my Space Marines.

But our adventure was missing the same element as any good comedy.

"What element were you.." TIMING! ".. missing?"

Our game took two hours to play. Now, we puttered around the table and allowed ample time for fauxchismo. But we figured we could only shave 30 minutes off our time at best.

Now, this makes sense. Twice as many models on the table should take twice as long to play. 1 army @ 500 points, 45 minutes. Two armies @ 500 points, 90 minutes. But this makes 5 rounds very impractical.

More playtesting required, but for this to work, I believe it's very likely we'll need to limit matches to 5 rounds. No random game length. That should help, some.

If playtesting continues to go this long, something will need to be compromised and I can't figure out what. The last event went so well because all parts worked in harmony. 5 rounds, W-L format, brackets for more prizes, it all dovetailed nicely together.

I do strongly encourage other people to try out games, and see how long it takes. The more information the better.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
I tend to disagree with notion that game length scales linearly, but maybe it's close enough the difference is immaterial.  With lots of testing, I suppose we could write an algorithm. 

IT would be really, really nice if we could find a way to fit in 5 games, as that would be enough to have a win/loss tournament, like before.  I thought that was brilliant. 

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2012, 05:25:53 PM »
IT would be really, really nice if we could find a way to fit in 5 games, as that would be enough to have a win/loss tournament, like before.  I thought that was brilliant. 

We're gonna do everything we can to make sure we get 5 rounds in.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: April 06, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »
Pep talk I gave my partner.

With your good luck and my God Given ability of not totally sucking. We may do Decent.

Partner: You suck at pep talks.

I keep looking over my list and changing ideas around. Only so much you can spend 50 points on in Space Marines.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: April 10, 2012, 07:04:02 PM »
Only so much you can spend 50 points on in Space Marines.

There is only one way SM know how to spend 50 pts.  

RAZORBACKS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: April 10, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »
IF you gave all your troops Razorbacks not much else :P.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »
Only so much you can spend 50 points on in Space Marines.

There is only one way SM know how to spend 50 pts. 

RAZORBACKS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Technically 40, but who's counting?  ;)

#queuejokesaboutAsiansbeinggoodatmath
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70