Author Topic: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)  (Read 66779 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
I really think people are underestimating how difficult Mephiston is to kill at this points level, but *shrug* oh well :)
I've noticed this quite a bit. If you spend 200+ points on a bad-ass HQ, it's a chore for the opponent to bring him down at this level. Bad dice will help your opponent, but that's about it.

I had a difficult decision with a Lord of Change vs a Bloodthirster. Points-wise, they're pretty much identical. I decided shooing is better than assault and took the Lord of Change, but a Bloodthirster with Blessing of the Blood God can easily churn through Mephiston. Lord of Change isn't exactly a close-combat slouch, but Mephiston can tie him up if not kill him pretty darn easily.

KestrelM1

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: November 04, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
I had a difficult decision with a Lord of Change vs a Bloodthirster. Points-wise, they're pretty much identical. I decided shooing is better than assault and took the Lord of Change, but a Bloodthirster with Blessing of the Blood God can easily churn through Mephiston. Lord of Change isn't exactly a close-combat slouch, but Mephiston can tie him up if not kill him pretty darn easily.

I think people will be quite surprised with what the Lord of Change is capable of. Most everyone's used to Fateweaver, but the jump from T5 to T6 is pretty significant, and the 3+ Invul is a pain to deal with consistently. Honestly I think Mephiston vs. Lord of Change is actually a decently even match, as Soul Hunter can bite you in the ass with a little luck.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: November 04, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »
Ya I have to admit it was annoying having to Fire at T6 with Bolters even the amount of shots that were hitting *cough*. It will be interesting to see how well though armies deal with the Emperor's Fury :P.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: November 06, 2011, 01:57:27 AM »
So! Post tournament chat. What worked, and what didn't? Whatever you take that to mean, and go!

My Daemons list was a spectacular failure, highlighted by some of the worst dice I've ever thrown. What can you do then? My list was suboptimal going in and my lone victory was against a Null Zone Librarian, so go figure that one out. Part of this failure I think was that I built a list to kill Marines, but there were very few MEQ players, at least that I faced.

Round 1 - Ben Mohlie - Imperial Guard. Better player, better list. Yup.
Round 2 - Dan - Tyranids. I mishapped and killed my 300 point Lord of Change. Dan's models pooped out models until he had no more models to poop out. Yup.
Round 3 - Drew - Space Marines. Null Zone Librarian, I remain undefeated against you. Oddly.
Round 4 - Chris Griffis -Tyranids. My Lord of Change could not kill the bugs fast enough. Massive assault in the middle, too many wounds to work through.
Round 5 - Hans - Dark Eldar. I had Hans on the ropes until my Lord's luck ran out. Rolled three 1s and missed an assault into difficult terrain, then failed saves badly in the following shooting phase.

At least I was playing the right codex, but I'll just have to play it like Bill next time. Congrats to Bill again for pulling the hat trick, 3 consecutive BG Singles tournament victories.

Most people I bounced the scenarios off of said they understood them in preview, but when it came time to fill out the sheets, there were many questions. I think that comes with more eyes and perspectives looking at the same thing. I hope everyone found reasonable resolution to the slight glitches.

Termagants, you so crazy! These little bastards did funny things to the curve by making more victory points to kill.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:45:21 AM by Benjamin »

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: November 06, 2011, 03:19:56 AM »
I think its the same way people had a pre-judgement on lists people brought. I was actually surprised to amount of times I had to explain Bike Mechanics cause of my list to some people. Relentless, Twin-Linked, T5. I liked how the bikes did I see the flaws with them at low points cost but it definitely was worth playing them to learn how to improve them for higher point games.

The Rules could have used just a little bit more wordiness cause some of the questions that came up seemed obvious reading it a little closer and others like the VP Objective per turn  one had some merit just to make sure everyone was doing it the same.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #320 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:08 AM »
Alright. From here on out, it's a blank slate.

So here's what I had in mind. It's small, quite informal. Just something a bit different for an average night out. :)

A Thursday in December
Plainville store
Start time - 7 PM
8 Players, first come, first serve
$5 entry fee, all prizes store credit
Winner - $20
Runner up - $10
Third - $5
Fourth - $5
And of course, something special for Smokin' Boots.

Scenarios: I'll choose three of the 2011 Adepticon Combat Patrol missions (here and here).

Rounds: 50 minutes.

My only question is the rule set players might like to use.

There's our simple 500 point rule, of 1 HQ, 2 Troops and anything legal goes. Then there's the General Rules set out by Adepticon in the beginning of the packet, but 500 points instead of 400. Whichever people want is fine with me.

I can probably coax Sam to hang around as a judge. Throw some Slim Jims at him.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #321 on: November 10, 2011, 10:40:50 AM »
love it! i say the standard 1 HQ 2 troops. this did not seem to hamper people that much. I think if we dont make people take these things we are just going to see lists that are so unbalanced they aren't fun to play against.
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #322 on: November 10, 2011, 12:26:54 PM »
Granted, my vote counts little, since I can't make Thursdays.  /shakefist

I agree with the standard compostion, 1 HQ and 2 Troops.  Without that, it's going to be very hard to have any hope or expectation of balance in the fights.

400 points would be... hard.  I mean... again I'm thinking from a Tyranid point here.  HT is 170 base, if you go two genestealer groups with no upgrades... another 70 per squad, so 310 for just minimum composition.  Granted you could take a Warrior Prime (I won't), but it's still a shot to most races.

I think 500 points, normal composition requirements, and Adepticon scenarios could be a fun time.
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: November 10, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »
yeah, again, i think the army composition was great so just new missions (not that your missions weren't cool)

Rofel

• Heroic Tier Level 3
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:20 AM »
After glancing over the Adepticon rules I would much rather play the standard force organization. It just seems tedious to plan out an army, plus it cuts out the chance for people to do funny lists like land raiders, double tervigons, etc. Granted 500 points and forcing an HQ and 2 troops may be a slight hindrance as well.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: November 11, 2011, 02:27:45 PM »
In terms of army composition, 500 points is a hindrance, period. But since everyone has the same hindrance, it works out.

I feel the Adepticon composition allows for crazier lists, while FOC composition allows for more predictable armies.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
    • Email
« Reply #326 on: November 11, 2011, 06:35:03 PM »
Yeah, the only list i felt i really couldn't deal with was the Doom of Malantai list, and that was only due to poor rolling. I really think people liked 500 points standard force org, so that my vote!

PhoenixFire

• Epic Tier Level 30
« Reply #327 on: November 11, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
Alright. From here on out, it's a blank slate.

So here's what I had in mind. It's small, quite informal. Just something a bit different for an average night out. :)

A Thursday in December
Plainville store
Start time - 7 PM
8 Players, first come, first serve
$5 entry fee, all prizes store credit
Winner - $20
Runner up - $10
Third - $5
Fourth - $5
And of course, something special for Smokin' Boots.

Scenarios: I'll choose three of the 2011 Adepticon Combat Patrol missions (here and here).

Rounds: 50 minutes.

My only question is the rule set players might like to use.

There's our simple 500 point rule, of 1 HQ, 2 Troops and anything legal goes. Then there's the General Rules set out by Adepticon in the beginning of the packet, but 500 points instead of 400. Whichever people want is fine with me.

I can probably coax Sam to hang around as a judge. Throw some Slim Jims at him.

count me in Ben... unless painted is a requirement because i seem to never have time to sit down and paint lol

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: November 11, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
count me in Ben... unless painted is a requirement because i seem to never have time to sit down and paint lol
Barring a sudden gathering of easily-impressed ladies, no paint requirement this time.  :)

JWebs

• Heroic Tier Level 1
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: November 11, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
Yeah, the only list i felt i really couldn't deal with was the Doom of Malantai list, and that was only due to poor rolling. I really think people liked 500 points standard force org, so that my vote!

;)