Author Topic: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)  (Read 66792 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)
« Reply #285 on: November 01, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »
So.....a shooty daemon list, very interesting.
Had I the models, my ideal list would have looked something like 3 Heralds of Tzeentch on Chariots and two Horror squads. Or two Chariots and three Horror squads. I was very close to taking Fateweaver, but those extra 30 points I just couldn't afford.

In testing, the Changeling was invaluable! Not against vehicles, but against low-Ld infantry like Fire Warriors and Kroot, no one really wanted to shoot at him.

I realized early on Daemons really won't have the ability to weather shooting like I do with the bigger point values. Mono-Tzeentch builds are the most viable and competitive Daemon builds from 500-2000.

And no, I'm not Ben Mohile. I wish I had his skills and his sweet painted army. I'm don't think I'm known really outside of Battleground.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #286 on: November 01, 2011, 03:10:14 PM »
Shooty Daemons make Templatenids scared...

... but only a little, and not really, I just need to know what part to NOT bite.  :P

We shall meet on the field of battle!  Well, about half the board away from each other.
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: November 01, 2011, 03:35:01 PM »
So.....a shooty daemon list, very interesting.

I realized early on Daemons really won't have the ability to weather shooting like I do with the bigger point values. Mono-Tzeentch builds are the most viable and competitive Daemon builds from 500-2000.

I wish you the best Ben but for my sake I hope this is wrong or I'm in trouble. Haha.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: November 01, 2011, 04:54:46 PM »
Turns out I might be able to make it to this thing after all! I guess now that my list is public, y'all have no excuses for losing to it :P

I'd just like to say that I'll be very disappointed if nobody packs Mephiston into their list, as I lost a lot of sleep worrying how to deal with him. A good portion of the lists discussed here will just fold to him with barely even a fight, let alone his supporting Marines.

You're now number 2 on the alternates list. I expect 2ish people to drop, so your chances are pretty good, Matt.

I haven't spent a lot of time checking lists yet, but I don't think I've seen Mephiston.

Ninja edit:  You're now number 1 on the alternates list.  :)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 05:09:11 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: November 01, 2011, 04:59:02 PM »
I wish you the best Ben but for my sake I hope this is wrong or I'm in trouble. Haha.
Ha! Somehow, I'm sure you'll be fine. I know as long as you're not running Deathwing, your dice will hold up. And let's not forget, you're up for the hat trick of Battleground Singles events. The betting line is Souza vs the field.

I'm sure I'll end up across from 4 Chimeras and need to yell at the idiot who designed this event.

Addendum: Say whaaaaat? No Mephiston?

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: November 01, 2011, 05:11:28 PM »

You'll have to ask Sam, although that's probably bad etiquette.  He's checking lists, as usual.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #291 on: November 01, 2011, 05:28:18 PM »
Mephiston is a huge risk. More so than something like a Baal and two razors. No inv save and his uberness will only take him so far. Anytime you invest half points in one thing it is a big risk.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: November 01, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
Ha! Somehow, I'm sure you'll be fine. I know as long as you're not running Deathwing, your dice will hold up. And let's not forget, you're up for the hat trick of Battleground Singles events. The betting line is Souza vs the field.

I'm sure I'll end up across from 4 Chimeras and need to yell at the idiot who designed this event.

Yeah I would love to pull the hat trick but this is very different than a normal singles. Very different game at 500 that is very foreign to me. Especially with a W/L system. With that being said I am super excited for the challenge.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: November 01, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
Yeah I would love to pull the hat trick but this is very different than a normal singles. Very different game at 500 that is very foreign to me. Especially with a W/L system. With that being said I am super excited for the challenge.

I'm glad to hear this.  I was concerned with how the more competitive, tournament players would react to the idea.  I thought the concept was cool, different, and uncommon.  It certainly seems to have a casual appeal.  I'm glad people of all ability levels and experience can find something to appreciate about the event.

I hope it ends up being as cool as it seems.

Frosthydra

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #294 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »
Well, from a more casual / new player standpoint...

I'm looking forward to playing and getting destroyed in the tournament, and having a ton of fun in the process!  ;D
Reality is a cruel and unintuitive place with rather frustrating game-play mechanics.

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »
Frost I would not worry about it, I doubt you will get destroyed. There are  a couple lists that are really brutal and are clearly win at all costs. I really cannot see anyone in the BG community fielding these, as the mood of this seems to be more an event and less of a tourny,  if they do than more power to em. I know I certainly am looking forward to playing a casual list in 5 casual games.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: November 01, 2011, 06:34:52 PM »
Yeah bill is right, I am sure we will see one list with 4 chimeras, another with 60 boyz, one with two tervigons, and a whole lot of other shenanigans, but gimmicks are just that gimmicks, and i think who ever said it first (chase maybe?) was right that it is probably going to be a balanced list that takes it.
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Sir_Prometheus

• God
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: November 01, 2011, 07:30:46 PM »
Well, I dunno, is the 2 hammerhead list I'm planning WAAC?  I think it's pretty good, but I also think stomping around with two of the biggest tanks in the game is plain fun.

But if people are horrified by that, don't want to fight it, I'm happy to take a pretty middle of the road GK list. 

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »
No sane person will accuse a Tau player of being WAAC.

At least we found a format in which Space Wolves aren't the best codex. Now they're just solid-ish. :)

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #299 on: November 01, 2011, 08:18:24 PM »
How does one get 2 hammer heads into their list?