Author Topic: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)  (Read 66847 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: 500 Points about 500 Points (Lists, Touraments & Rules, oh my!)
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »
As for when to start earning points off of objectives, whatever. If someone wants to take scouts, more power to them.
That's a good point. Having the count start on Turn 2 makes Scout and Infiltrate less effective for that mission, where starting it on Turn 1 makes all-Reserve armies less effective. At least all that in a vacuum.

Given that, I should probably just leave all objectives at 25 points per game turn.

There's a good reason to give players contesting objectives 10 points per game turn. It won't affect the result of the individual match, but I feel a player contesting objectives should be given something over another player in another match not contesting.

I'd like to get all the missions hammered out by next week, so that I can start putting together a packet. If this is happening November 5th as tentatively planned, I'd rather us be ready now.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: September 14, 2011, 07:15:01 PM »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2011, 02:18:45 AM »
Emory asked an excellent question about the first mission, in which scoring units count for double VPs. Did a dedicated transport count as double? My instinct was no, and upon further reflection I feel this is a correct decision. The reason is that the transport itself cannot score an objective. Any thoughts on that point, whether the reasoning seems right or not?

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
Emory asked an excellent question about the first mission, in which scoring units count for double VPs. Did a dedicated transport count as double? My instinct was no, and upon further reflection I feel this is a correct decision. The reason is that the transport itself cannot score an objective. Any thoughts on that point, whether the reasoning seems right or not?

I generally think the first mission is poor.  Why penalize someone for taking a bunch of troops?  He MUST take at least 2.  Why not make everything but troops give double?

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2011, 05:17:57 PM »
I generally think the first mission is poor.  Why penalize someone for taking a bunch of troops?  He MUST take at least 2.  Why not make everything but troops give double?

Every single player must take at least 2 Troops to fill the Force Org chart. So it's not someone, it's everyone. No one player is getting singled out.

If you can provide a concrete example of how armies would be *unfairly* penalized, that's what I need to see. Some codices will have cheap enough units to allow more than 2 scoring units; an asset in objectives, but a liability here.

But why not make the other units double? A couple reasons.

The first is that there are some cheap HQ units for whom doubling VP value makes little difference in the game over all. Each scoring unit for most armies is on average expensive enough to affect a difference across all lists, regardless of codex. And the principle is the same, whether it be objectives or Kill Troops! Don't let the enemy kill your scoring units while trying to kill his.

The second reason is the real possibility of the Most Boring Game ever. It's too easy to hide an HQ for the entire game, and that's the only other guaranteed unit choice.

This conversation made me realize that by wording, Swarms are not scoring units and so will not count as double! But there's the problem of not being able to hold objectives in other missions...

Torvald

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2011, 01:29:51 AM »
I am interested in participating with a new army for this event.

Please post the finalized rules and scenarios in a new thread as I have trouble sifting through the 10 pages.

Also if it is painting required event I will not participate for various reasons.

Thanks in advance.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2011, 02:04:44 AM »
I am interested in participating with a new army for this event.

Please post the finalized rules and scenarios in a new thread as I have trouble sifting through the 10 pages.

Also if it is painting required event I will not participate for various reasons.

Thanks in advance.
When the information is parsed out and announcements are officially made, that information will be posted in a separate thread (which will also be stickied to the top of the message board).

As of this moment, painting will be required for the planned event. I'll just assume one of your various reasons for not participating in a painting-mandatory event is that your army would not be painted. A bit late to that conversation, but what might the other reasons be?

Torvald

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »
Sorry if I am "late to the party". I got used to Chase's standard tournament announcements.

Glad the event will be happening and hope it's a great event.

The core reasons I have issue with a required paint event are not relevant but I can be asked any time personally. In the end my new army can not and will not be painted in time. I could play my DE but I am still hoping to sell them and even they are not well painted. Hope the event goes great and hopefully see you all at the next 1v1 or 2v2 etc tourney.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
Sorry if I am "late to the party". I got used to Chase's standard tournament announcements.
Maybe late is the wrong word? I posed the question here to the community and after extensive feedback, Chase and I have since had a lengthy conversation regarding painting and worked out the prize structure to support it.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2011, 11:36:20 PM »
Tossing around Ideas for Unconventional Lists for Space Marines.

Bombed then Gone:

2 Chapter Masters =250
2 5 Man Scout Squads Sniper Rifles= 150
1 Thunderfire Cannon= 100

Blow Up Everything With Orbital Bombardment and keep shelling down with Sniper Fire and Thunderfire Shells.

Bike List:

1 Space Marine Captain on a Bike with Relic Blade-165
5 Man Bike Squad Flamer and Powerfist -170
5 Man Bike Squad Melta and Power Weapon - 165

Its a Bike List :O

Sneaky Librarian:

1 Librarian Termi Armor Storm Shield Vortex of Doom, The Quickening
2 5 Man Tac Squads with Meltabombs
1 Devastator Squad 3 Missile Lauchers 1 Lascannon

Deep Strike Librarian in let him wreak some havoc from behind.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2011, 12:03:58 AM »
bike list looks like the most fun, if you are going for fun.

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2011, 12:21:26 AM »
do the bomb list! it would be... the bomb! (SEE WHAT I DID THERE!?!?!?)

no but that looks seriously funny, that many blasts in that small an army, id love to see your opponents face!
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »
I got used to Chase's standard tournament announcements.

I'll have one for you guys sometime soon'ish (two weeks or less).
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
bike list looks like the most fun, if you are going for fun.
Agreed. That's a bunch of T5 and speed to handle!

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:18 AM »
Ya just fun lists I am Putting Together with Silly ways to play them.

The first list Emory saw the Prototype for on Thursday poor life Decision to group up early on can lead to a decimation. Then you just sit back and fire away :P.

Bikes ya T5 with a lot of speed Get up close if I need them stay far away if I don't.

The Librarian list is like Deep Strike a Sole Librarian behind enemy lines see how much Havoc he can cause.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com