Author Topic: 40k Blogs  (Read 1933 times)

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
40k Blogs
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:26:33 PM »
In my reply to Keith in the tournament results thread, I realized weblogs could be an interesting topic.

Whose 40k weblogs do you read, and why?

What started it all.

Yes, The Truth Hurts
http://yesthetruthhurts.com/
Ew. Ben,  Your BPs are good, just post them here!  Stelek is just interested in his little cult of personality and getting people to play his way.  Not interested in helping the community get better unless it is in his image.

You're certainly right in that Stelek's not a role model, and our personal gaming philosophies couldn't be more different. I certainly don't recommend the site to others, but I continue to go back because I can see through the BS to the interesting content therein. The community there is a tough one, but I know I'll get hyper-competitive criticism to help keep me grounded.

The Brown Paintbrush
http://thebrownpaintbrush.blogspot.com/
There are two Daemon players I look up to. Bill Souza and Nick from the Brown Paintbrush. He's younger than me, better than me, and a really nice guy.

Best Overall
http://www.bestoverall.blogspot.com/
Purgatus and I have probably met in a past life and were awesome friends. I like the cut of his jib, very similar perspective on the hobby.

Whiskey & 40k
http://whiskey40k.blogspot.com/
The guy behind NOVA.

Most of the popular 40k blogs have bad content mixed in with good, and I can't waste my time sorting. :|
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:34:42 PM by Benjamin »

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: 40k Blogs
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »
Yes, the truth hurts that Stelek is a egomaniacal tool.

Sorry, saw it in the other thread and had to say it.

I flip through Belloflostsouls for rumors and such (not sure why still).  Mainly I stick to forums but those can be awful too.  DakkaDakka I frequent because they have been great for parsing rumor data and tend to keep people like Stelek away.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
Yes, the truth hurts that Stelek is a egomaniacal tool.

Sorry, saw it in the other thread and had to say it.

Heh, no problem. He's a polarizing guy, or at least that's his act.

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:11:21 PM »
Dakkadakka is mainly the site I visit for just about everything 40K or Fantasy related.  I browse through Bartertown once in awhile too, and have just signed up for Bolterandchainsword, but I'd say Dakka is where I catch up on most of my 40K material.
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 06:17:50 PM »
I often check

The Warhammer Forum

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
All of you Dakka guys need to visit the Tournament forum once in a while and tell people how awesome I am in the event posts.

Anyhow, I read this 40k forum.

Maybe I'll have to check out some of the others.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 08:23:30 PM »
Done and Done!

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »
I used to love Bolter and Chainsword. Things there have been going downhill for a while, but their painting forums have some really, really great stuff.

It's so weird to see how the game has evolved online. 10 years ago, there were only a handful of sites or forums worth checking out. Now, there are so many blogs, many of them excellent, that I'm overwhelmed.
beep bop boop

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »
one forum i have seen a few times that looks promising and not "im the best and if you don't do it my way you can suck my ****" ish is "3++ is the new black". From my limited contact with it, it seems to have the same great, even competitive advice of the other big forums (ahem ytth) with out all the ego and drama.
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:12 PM »
Now, there are so many blogs, many of them excellent, that I'm overwhelmed.
That's a big +1 here. Maybe even +2. I've got my handful of blogs that I read, and that's it. I have no idea what I'm missing, and it seems most people here are reading different blogs too.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 01:50:59 AM »
All of you Dakka guys need to visit the Tournament forum once in a while and tell people how awesome I am in the event posts.

Anyhow, I read this 40k forum.

Maybe I'll have to check out some of the others.

Thats the only one I check out at all Chase the others just don't hold a candle to it. :P Seriously getting back into the game Blogs get overwhelming especially when your unsure what you want to do in 40k. I tried doing research for Salamander's army and probably got a link on google at least once to a majority of these sites and never saw the same army list twice or detailed explanations why people chose what.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:17:57 AM »
There's a couple solid Salamders players kicking around here...
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

keithb

• Epic Tier Level 24
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »
one forum i have seen a few times that looks promising and not "im the best and if you don't do it my way you can suck my ****" ish is "3++ is the new black". From my limited contact with it, it seems to have the same great, even competitive advice of the other big forums (ahem ytth) with out all the ego and drama.

I agree with this.

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:06 PM »
ya Benshin gave me some great help towards building a list unfortunately hes the only one I been able to talk with
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Korika

• "More fightin less dyin ya Gitz!"
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
Any ork players should definitely check out www.the-waaagh.com/ its a 40k and fantasy forum dedicated entirely to our loveable green friends, i get almost all of my conversion inspiration from their WIP model forums