Author Topic: Results: Battleground 2000pt 40k Singles Tournament on 7.23.2011  (Read 3286 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email

Thank you so much to everyone who came out to make this the largest 40k Singles tournament we've ever had!  It was an amazing group.  We are so grateful for the support the miniatures crowd in the area has and continues to show us.  

Players are encouraged to post any and all feedback in this thread.

40 Players
3 Rounds
2000 points
Max Possible Score - 81 points

Congratulations to our winners.

Best General:  Bill Souza playing Black Templars - $300.00 Store Credit
Second Best General:  Chris Scotti (tie) playing Blood Angels - $150.00 Store Credit
Second Best General:  Jeff Hobin (tie) playing Imperial Guard - $150.00 Store Credit

Best Appearance:  Bill McFadden fielding his "Skaven Guard" - $50.00 Store Credit
Best Sportsman:  (tie) Keith Bonneau and Matt Millar - split $50.00 Store Credit

It should also be noted that 3 other players received 3 of a possible 3 votes for Best Sportsman.  Those players were:  Sean Harrison, Andre Morrow, and Joe Phillips.  Total points were used to break the tie.  Keith and Matt both had 54 total points.

If you're interested Battleground in Plainville is running a Trios Event on August 6th.  We still have space left so if you and two friends would like to play, email me at ChaseLaq@gmail.com ASAP.

BG Plainville will be hosting Warhammer 40k Ard Boyz Prelims on SUNDAY, August 14th.  Details can be found here.

BG Plainville has also been selected to host the Warhammer 40k Ard Boyz Semifinal round on September 17th.  Details can be found here.

Thanks again for showing Battleground such awesome support!

Pics from my phone...

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:07:29 PM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
Re: Results: Battleground 2000pt 40k Singles Tournament on 7.23.2011
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »
Great event as always Chase, Thanks!

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:47:23 AM »
Never any love for Abington.  I feel like the older sibling whose parents have been ignoring for the newborn.  I NEED ATTENTION.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 12:58:24 AM »
Stop committing so much Heresy then maybe the Emperor's Light would shine upon you guys.

Great tournament fun people glad we had it at the good store :P.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 01:14:33 AM »
Make no mistake; I feel that both stores are fantastic and have communities that are nothing short of amazing.

As far as events are concerned, the Abington vs. Plainville debate is not something I'd like to address in this thread.  There are many good, real reasons why we've done what we've done with the Plainville space over the past year.  Feel free to email me if there is any confusion as to the reasons why, but let's try and keep this thread clean.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 01:29:30 AM »
I have a few ideas for how to tweak the numbers, so we don't see as many ties in the next tournament.

That said, this has been my favorite event to date. I got to prove I was the best Chaos Daemons player there, by being the only one. Every match of mine had a brilliant "Now this is F'n Warhammer!" moment, the kind of moment that only comes along usually once every few months and you talk about long after. Thanks to Joe for setting the tone, Hans for not making me cry (though he could have) and Pat for our exact re-match from Thursday 40k! Also, much love to BG.

I'm writing up personal battle reports, and will post when they are complete. So glad I didn't have to deal with mech Guard!

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 02:49:16 AM »
I can never sleep after these events. In an effort to bore myself, I set about to determine general army effectiveness on the day, primarily by average points per army. The more players per army, the better sample we see.

One IG player quit in the first round, so that skews IG numbers. The other 7 IG players finished the day with an average score of 46.9 and an average finish of 13.4, very respectable numbers both.

Almost identical were Dark Eldar and Grey Knights. Grey Knights seemed to go risk/reward, while Dark Eldar proved more consistent.

Next tournament, I expect like 10 Black Templar players. :P

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:37:40 AM »
This would be interesting to see with all the BG singles singles data. Past and future. Get to work! lol

I am sure the internet has this somewhere for every tournament ever lol

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »
Next tournament, I expect like 10 Black Templar players. :P
Never happy missing an event, but at least I can take consolaition that had I played the BT numbers would not be nearly so impressive (My templars are a little rusty).

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:38:32 PM by Achillius »
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Grimwulfe

• God
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:22 AM »
Thank you Chase and Team for running a great event.  As one of the BG regulars that will be attending NOVA this year I just want to say that this tourny was invaluable do to experience and lessons learned.

I am now 100% satisfied with my list and the way it plays.

Thanks again.
Dark Star Founding Member
NOVA 2011 Trios Team Champions
NOVA 2012 Trios Team Champions
WGC 2013 Doubles Best Sportman
NOVA 2013 Trios Team Champions
DaBoyz GT 2013 Best Theme 1st Place
Adepticon Champ 2014 Best Imperial Showing
Adepticon Team 2014 Best Imperial Showing

canadianone

• Paragon Tier Level 17
  • Our beavers are better than you beavers
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
tonnes of fun, cant wait for the next one! And Troy, thanks for putting up with me last round!
Tau theme song, "jump around"

Dissimulation

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
@Benjamin, you may want to take in consideration for your chart that there were 1 or 2 byes.
Time for my tau jumpy phase

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 01:33:32 PM »
@Benjamin, you may want to take in consideration for your chart that there were 1 or 2 byes.

Yeah, I wasn't sure how to best represent that at the time. My brain was mush.

Technically, those armies "earned" those points. Realistically, not so much.

A Chaos Marines player got the second round bye, and a Necrons player got the third round bye. How does that impact the above chart? Each of those players played two rounds and scored zero points.

New numbers would look like:
Army - Avg Pts
Chaos Marines - 17.4
Necrons - 0

So Tau get lifted up from the bottom to second-from-bottom. Average finish figures, not sure how to figure that...

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 04:57:03 PM »
Pictures added to the original post.

jhobin

• Paragon Tier Level 14
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »
Great Job on the Tourney thank you for running it, I enjoyed getting some games in.

I initianly didn't think I would like the mission's, but suprisingly I found them to be challenging and a test of generalmanship. The only suggestion I can see is that in less than 6 game tourney Battle modifier's can be applied to prevent tie's. For example when objectives are the primary +1 point for have double the obj over your opponent or +1 for controlling all the objectives, etc..

Some shades on the front window near those tables would be nice when the store is configured the way it was. I think Bill and I were getting close to heat exhaustion on that last game  :)
"I'm going to sacrifice my pyramid turtles"
-Anonymous card player who makes me wonder if I sound like this talking about 40k!

Moss:"What operating system is it running?"
Bomb Technician:"Vista!"
Moss:"Where all going to die!"