Author Topic: Recon from way up North  (Read 815 times)

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
Recon from way up North
« on: July 15, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
Hello, fellow 40k gamers. For those of you who don't know me (and that's probably most of you!), my name is Rob Walker and I come to you from a gaming group on the north shore called Evil Dice. Evil Dice is an idealized group that I have kind of forged out of the failings and poor attitudes of other groups north of Boston; our every policy is designed to do the opposite of what other groups' poor policies do.

We play out of the Hobby Bunker in Malden every Sunday from 12-6. It is a great store and they give us some great benefits but we definitely have a weird relationship with them at times. The store is very set in their ways and this makes things very difficult for us as a group at times, but we make due. Things have been going very well for us and despite it being our "slow season" in the dead of summer there has been a lot of activity going on with our group.

I'm writing to ask a few questions. I would like to know what the 40k scene is like down in Plainville. We are considering doing a day trip down there for our group - you guys have an amazing store some of my players might never see otherwise - and I just wanted to do a little recon beforehand.

So what's the 40k crowd like down there? We have a great dynamic at Evil Dice, where people don't complain about the game all that much and they bring decent lists and give solid players. We have had virtually no rules arguments in our 3 year history and we resolve any issues that come up as a group. I try to be all-inclusive with everything we do, so as to make sure no cliques ever get formed, and when someone mistreats another player in any way they get put to task for it by me personally. What we have created up here is really something special. Now, not to disrespect anyone, but if I am going to be taking my people into a viper's nest of poor sportsmanship and poor play then I'd like to at least get the heads up first, you know? So I'm curious about how your crowd is, when they meet, what points levels they play, etc.

Any information you guys can give me would be very helpful.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
Re: Recon from way up North
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:22:03 PM »
Hi Rob,

I can tell you that our Thursday 40k gatherings in Plainville have exceeded my modest expectations. Evenings starting usually around 6:30, but players have been showing up earlier and earlier...
See thread:
http://www.battlegroundgames.com/forum/index.php?topic=2135.0
We're getting new people and full-up tables every week now, so summer is far from our dead season.

I can't imagine a better scenario for playing than here, to be honest. There are nice people, from tournament veterans to new players playing a solid variety of armies, who are all there to have fun and to learn. If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong. That would be the one mantra I push.

If you came to play on a Thursday, I'll try to make sure everyone has a game. That effort and the above forum thread represents our sum total of organization. Yet, the 40k community thrives. If I'm not there, the Battleground employees are happy to facilitate. The store gets along with the players; the players with the store. Mutual respect.

Strategic Command is a gaming group that calls Plainville home as well.
http://strategiccommand.webs.com/

Weekend crowd is generally the same, though a bit inconsistent in terms of attendance. People play as their lives allow, and the store often runs big events and gets the place packed. So, not bad things, but no guarantees either. :) Maybe someone who plays on the weekends more would like to speak to that?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:38:27 PM by Benjamin »

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »
Hey Rob, thanks for posting this.  I look forward to you bringing your club down to show them the store.

I'll do my best to answer your questions and I would definitely appreciate and encourage anyone who plays in Plainville to chime in.

First, I want to stress that there is NOTHING more important to Battleground, Derek, and myself than the community we have built and always continue to build.  It is our number one priority to make sure we have an awesome place and environment for people to come game.  Historically, our definition of what awesome is tends to attract people that share that opinion. The community that springs up around that idea is great at making sure it's not compromised.

If there's ever a situation where people feel like the store has a "weird" relationship with any group of players or "makes things difficult" for any group of players, there is something seriously wrong and I *WILL* fix it.  To my knowledge this has never been the case.  I put a lot of effort in to making sure various groups for various games are getting what they want.  You guys know what you want better than we do.  If the players want something and it's feasible for us to do it, we'll make it happen (eventually ;)).

Anyways, the 40k crowd in Plainville is very diverse.  Like Ben said, we've got players that range in age, experience, skill, and "idea" quite a bit.  You can find some really stiff competition if you're looking for it.  You can find all sorts of casual games if you're looking for it.  The lists people take are usually built around the intent of the game about to be played.  2000 point tournament prep game?  You'll see 2000 point tournament lists.  etc.  

The group is not very cliquey at all, although obviously many of them are friends. All of the players seem to be up for playing and meeting new people.  The store is still very young and we see new people coming in all the time.  Ben and the rest of the community are EXTREMELY good at making new players feel "at home."

I would imagine that you guys can find games at any point value you're looking for, although unlike in Abington, the average army size is probably in the 2000-3000 points.  Games in Plainville typically range between 1500 and 2000 points for 1v1 and team games vary.  Lately the crowd on Thursdays has been playing more 2000 point games preparing for our tournament on the 23rd of the month.

The group isn't full of whiners or argumentative types.  We have some very rules savvy players and any rules issues that come up are typically handled by quickly consulting the books or FAQs in an effort to get things right.  I would certainly say that most players are concerned with playing the game correctly instead of making things up on the fly.  They certainly don't handle it in the "wrong" way though.

As far as the group of guys goes (at both stores, really) I really couldn't ask for a better group.  They're cool and pretty mello overall.  Some are casual players for life, some are competitive and travel all over the country for the game, and most are somewhere in between.

If you have a date in mind let me know and I'll try to organize something around it.  A giant, "Casual 40k Night" or something like that.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:45:20 AM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

steelforge

• Heroic Tier Level 2
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
If they served beer @ BG Plainville I'd never leave.

Thursday nights started off as a group of friends hanging out, now it's the WH40K hangout spot.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »
If they served beer @ BG Plainville I'd never leave.
So true!  ;D

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
I know it's not the same, but at least Piezonies has cold ones.  ;)
beep bop boop

AstartesXXVI

• Heroic Tier Level 4
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:04:37 PM »
It sounds to me like what you are striving for, Chase, is really on the same page as my group's ideals. The difference is I'm just a guy and sadly I have no real control over the space or how we are treated by the store itself.

The best day for us is the day we usually meet, Sundays. If you like, we can make a bit of a minor event out of it. Sort of like some kind of 40k mixer, heh. Either way I would love to see the differences from here and there up close and personal anyhow.

We can work out a day and then just let folks from both sides of the fence know to be there, if that works. I'm sure my people would love it.
"Really, the entire game is 'Opponent's Permission' if you think about it..."