Author Topic: More news from GW...  (Read 4749 times)

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
More news from GW...
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:22:24 PM »
I just got off the phone with my rep and he had some interesting news for me regarding how GW is going to handle their new product releases...

Instead of allowing us to order advanced copies of the new products and announcing their releases a month or two or three in advance, they are now going to announce them about 10 days - 1 week prior to the day they go on sale.  They will first be shown on their website or in that months White Dwarf.

He told me this is in an effort to take a "Shock and Awe" approach which will hopefully drive people to their stores to pre-order stuff right away, and presumably, to increase WD sales.

I think that I think this sucks.  It seems like this is a lot more work on me, especially because I don't know anything about the games.  Normally I can ask around and get people's "take" on new figures, have time to see and hear from people before ordering, and typically get a good idea of how people think and feel about various models before having to order them.  Now I'll have to base orders on what I think looks cool or seems cool.

Personally I think the advanced copies of new Army Books sent more people to the store and was responsible for far more preorders than this approach ever could be... but maybe I'm wrong...

Worst of all, it sort of forces me (and everyone else) to pay more attention to the rumor mills.

I've been totally fine with the GW changes other than this..... hopefully it all works out fine.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:33:06 AM by Chase »
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Loranus

• God
  • Pyromaniac with a Hat
    • Gaming with a Hat
    • Email
Re: More news from GW...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »
Ouch ya this kinda sucks in my opinion. Given 2 months for a new model or set coming out I can set the money aside for it if I want. Having a week kinda just shuts out that option. Still waiting on you Librarian on a Motorcycle :/.
I ride in on my Bike with my Hat of awesome and say Nay this place should be on fire.

http://gamingwithahat.wordpress.com

Izen930

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:31:11 PM »
I can see, or at least view, what GW is thinking. If the rumors/pics appear first then the community at large will develop a collective group think.

This does suck for retailers as this does force the issue of ordering "off the hip". This could also be in line with GW regulating online site to sell in their respective countries (i.e. theWarstore only in the US); streaming this to be more constrictive to outlets as well. Possibly to gain more orders through GW online? I don't know and am just piecing together thoughts.

All in all, I would suggest at ordering the army books and if the community mentions something or posts on the forums take that into account. Most new armies are only new releases of models usually a troop, elite, and heavy/fast; most people, myself included, will paint the existing models in order to get ready for the release. I just pray Orks do not come out soon.....200 models still to go.

-Mark  

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
I actually brought that up to him.  I told him that it's unfortunate that my customers will no longer be able to slowly save for the new army they want because they've had 2 months notice...

The more I think about it the more I feel like it's nothing but downside.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 05:35:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure Orks are a long way out.  No worries there.  :)

Bill

• Paragon Tier Level 14
  • Dark Star Founding Member
    • Dark Star
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:31 PM »
Chase
I have to agree with everything you post here. I was one of the very very few that felt all of the recent changes that GW has been making were very smart decisions (including the ill timed price increase). I felt this new direction was unusually smart for GW. I was looking forward to what other decisions the apparently new GW management was going to make.

This however is pure stupidity; one of the great things about giving stores preview copies and pics on the website was that it gave people a chance to save money to dump a bunch of it on new models come release date. Giving people months to salivate over something generates more sales. Both long and short term; there is literally no advantage to this.

In my opinion this is spawning from the most recent experiment with the Dark Eldar models not many people heard anything about the most recent releases until BAM there they were.

This will only work for an already released army; I hope they don't try this with a new army and a new book.  ???

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:01 PM »
GW is a cyclic, fickle whore.

This sound a lot like what they used to do.  It gives them (GW) as a direct seller a leg up. 

On the upside, they will do something awesome in about 4 years time.  So I suppose there is that.

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 06:07:13 PM »
games workshop pushes me more away yet again.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
GW blows goats. I have proof.

Ian Mulligan

• God
  • Egotistical Powergamer
    • Mutants and Shit
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »
Man, do I love this Gun Carriage I had rules for two months before it came out as well as an idea of what it would be like 4 months out.

This is another time where GW completely ignores its connection to their fans.
beep bop boop

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »
It gives them (GW) as a direct seller a leg up. 

This is an absolute fact... and unfortunate for us.

Although I'm proud to say that Plainville is coming off one of our best GW weeks (excluding DE and GK release weeks, of course) thanks to Finecast, which people seem to love.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:52 PM »
Man, do I love this Gun Carriage I had rules for two months before it came out as well as an idea of what it would be like 4 months out.

Man, do I love ALL METAL MODELS YEAHHHH WE'RE GONNA DEPLETE THE WORLD OF PEWTER.

... oh wait.  j/k.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 09:35:24 PM »

Man, do I love ALL METAL MODELS YEAHHHH WE'RE GONNA DEPLETE THE WORLD OF PEWTER.

... oh wait.  j/k.

YOU CAN'T SPELL PEWTER WITHOUT PEW(PEW)!

But seriously, all hyperbolic crap aside, it does make me happy I picked up Warmachine.  Besides having to hang out with Rick more.

Dissimulation

• Heroic Tier Level 5
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 09:56:50 PM »
I guess the whole shock and awe thing would work for people that are impulsive buyers/people with lots of disposable income. However, I'm not an impulsive buyer and I unfortunately have about 5 dollars to my name.
Time for my tau jumpy phase

Moosifer

• Paragon Tier Level 11
  • Egotistical Co-Conspirator
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
You have finally shattered my self-esteem, I hope you are proud of yourself!