Author Topic: Megabattle score  (Read 6940 times)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
Re: Megabattle score
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »
Pro tip:  Giant titans en masse seemed to not work out very well.  Troops on the ground, in Valks, Vendettas, Stormravens, Thunderhawks, and on the opponents table edge appear very effective.

Fortunately, disorder can't take most of those and can't flank march nearly as easily.

Disorder can figure it out.  Not being able to take them isn't what lost us the game.

Not cramming terminators into stormlords while on the fly convincing organizers to disallow datasheets without real evidence didn't either.

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:46:18 AM »
Not cramming terminators into stormlords while on the fly convincing organizers to disallow datasheets without real evidence didn't either.

oh Waaah, Named data sheet for IG being used, surprised you didn't try taking a Creed data sheet too; you are the baddies, you don’t get to take good guys on your team… simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsNLbK8_rBY&feature=player_detailpage

As for terminators, not sure that 7 counts as “cramming”.

But why did you fail?  Some observations from south of the landing field, from both sides of the table..

1. 28 minutes to deploy and no time spent analysing what was on the table.
2. Screwed up city deployment. Necrons should have held the disorder objective from turn 1. The faster Orks and Bezerkers should then have charged the middle objective and then the green tides and stompas  could advance on the order held objectives.
3. Ignored one objective completely (marshland table)
4. Bringing a Banelord onto a back field completely unsupported, so it could be spanked by an IG vet squad and their Vendetta.
5. Did I mention not supporting anything south of the landing pad adequately. Seriously bringing on five titans north of the city was a god send to order, especially with your own team looking for help in the south. Even two warhounds coming in further south would have been fantastic for your sides effectiveness.

Even had half these points been addressed the story would have been a lot different.

Oh well.
There’s always next year.
But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:04 AM »
Sorry, all I heard was mixing technologies.  Which was specifically addressed as wrong.

Then telling someone they can't take a datasheet because you didn't want them to is kinda lame.

I understand, you didn't read the section about Chaos being able to take Imperial Datasheets but that's ok.

EDIT:

I didn't care about wining, just getting into melee with a titan and then flank marching a banelord. If I wanted to win, I would have played differently as would others on our team.  If we won with all this big stuff, we would never heard the end of it.  I believe our original plan succeeded.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:04:30 AM by the_trooper »

Achillius

• Epic Tier Level 26
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
Sorry, all I heard was mixing technologies.  Which was specifically addressed as wrong.

Then telling someone they can't take a datasheet because you didn't want them to is kinda lame.

I understand, you didn't read the section about Chaos being able to take Imperial Datasheets but that's ok.

EDIT:

I didn't care about wining, just getting into melee with a titan and then flank marching a banelord. If I wanted to win, I would have played differently as would others on our team.  If we won with all this big stuff, we would never heard the end of it.  I believe our original plan succeeded.

Oh so you mean't to lose. I get it.

Sorry, Well done then.

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...

"When Ghandi advocated his philosophy of none violence, I bet he didn't know how much fun it was killing stuff!" (Raj, The big bang theory)

Torvald

• Heroic Tier Level 2
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »
Marshlands were assigned to my Dark Eldar.

We don't like swamps, you can have 'em.

I did enjoy helping out on the Winter table though, an enjoyable battle.

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 06:18:11 PM »
I thought it was stupid to Deep Strike my daemons on the Marshland table, which apparently was entirely difficult terrain. That ruled out an option we had.

Rob S

• God
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »

EDIT:

Oh so you mean't to lose. I get it.

Sorry, Well done then.

You can stop the sarcasm.  We meant to have fun, and we did.  I'm sure you did too.  But it's bothersome to have all these rules shoved against us, when you're doing something like packing the models from one army into the transport of another.  Something that I thought was supposed to be disallowed.  We took the punches that the organizers threw at us, figuring they would be treating many things the same when it came to ruling against Order.  But to then complain about a datasheet - which is written in the rules as legal?  Come on.
It's the throwing phase now.

i was on the receiving end on occasion

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 10:51:35 PM »
I reached for the BS flag a couple times, but refrained from throwing it, because the day was about fun. Whatever was questionable this year can be addressed next year. I'm guessing these issues won't be forgotten.

Chase

• Global Moderator
  • God
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »
If people want to list the issues that would be helpful.

I try my best to forget all the rules related things immediately after the Megabattle.

I promise, I'm not jaded.... Also, I'm lying.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

the_trooper

• God
  • Pay where you play.
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
If people want to list the issues that would be helpful.

I try my best to forget all the rules related things immediately after the Megabattle.

I promise, I'm not not Cale.... Also, I'm lying.

Thomas callahan

• Order
  • Heroic Tier Level 9
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 11:51:20 PM »
for starters, the fact disorder left the south table un supported was a cause for there defeat.

Another reason was the fact alot of your firepower was being focused on targets that where only threatening the titans. The dark eldar, rons necros and the nids where the only ones i saw actualy playing by a effective stratagy.

If all of sims titans went to south table, most of the deepstriking demons went on mid table to cover and secure the titans and objectives you probaly couldve turned the game around.

As much as Ron said the demons helped agaisnt murph up north, there was no time for murph to get through all the necros to the objective. Even if you guys where just playing for fun, just abandoning your team mate to the south who needed some help wasnt really team worthy. Hell i had 4 players on my team come north to help me out agaisnt the deamons and necrons
Blood bowl W14-L14-T1
40K 0-0
Hords 2-1

Rurouni Benshin

• God
  • Oro?
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 12:24:56 AM »
Not for nothing, Tom, but Chris Brett was an excellent sport, and he held his own pretty damn well.  He also wasn't left completely alone either.  For what it's worth, if Disorder's intentions were to go into the Megabattle and do exactly as they wanted AND still have a good time doing it all, there's no reason to discredit them for anything.  Like Rich said, if he intended for Disorder to win, he wouldn't have played the way he did, and would've encouraged others to play differently as well.  But he didn't, as he had intended.  So everyone played and had a great time.

Mission accomplished. 

PS - Thanks again to Derek and Chase for another year of epic fun!  Can't wait for next year!
"This One Is Rurouni... Once Again, This One Will Drift."

Warhammer 40,000
Space Marines: 93-15-18
Apocalypse: 9-2-3
Tournaments: 7-7-1
Tale of 16 Gamers: 0-0-1

Grammar: Contractions 0/1/0
Number of games I've managed to play since Tristan's arrival: 70

Benjamin

• God
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 12:35:49 AM »
for starters, the fact disorder left the south table un supported was a cause for there defeat.

Another reason was the fact alot of your firepower was being focused on targets that where only threatening the titans. The dark eldar, rons necros and the nids where the only ones i saw actualy playing by a effective stratagy.

If all of sims titans went to south table, most of the deepstriking demons went on mid table to cover and secure the titans and objectives you probaly couldve turned the game around.

As much as Ron said the demons helped agaisnt murph up north, there was no time for murph to get through all the necros to the objective. Even if you guys where just playing for fun, just abandoning your team mate to the south who needed some help wasnt really team worthy. Hell i had 4 players on my team come north to help me out agaisnt the deamons and necrons
Some of the above reasoning is based on incomplete information.

The marshland table was all difficult terrain, making Deep Striking there a real biatch. I had started to throw some Daemons down there, trying to help Chris, but the writing was on the wall pretty quick. We both knew it. No sense throwing good daemons after bad. I agree that we should have started with more on that end to counter the massed IG firepower.

Order deployed first and covered the city with Disruptor Beacons. That's just mean. Daemons could not have gone there. Those disruptor beacons were on the table far too long, as I had Daemon troops waiting to drop in and I couldn't risk it then. I ended up putting them next to the objective in the middle of the winter table, against the odds we'd be able to clear out lots of Thunderwolves and Assault Terminators. But at least I could land them there and have them potentially count for something.

In the end, I believe two things mattered. 1) Order planned and adapted better. 2) I honestly think 22 brains and pairs of eyes won out over 18.

All that said, an interesting day and quite an introduction to Apocalypse.

GossWeapon

• Epic Tier Level 22
  • Legendary Creature - Troll
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 02:13:50 AM »
You are all brilliant strategists.

Simple look:

big table = nice looks, terrible game.
Order = odds stacked in their favor.
Disorder = very little team effort before the big day.

In the end what should have happened, did.  Congrats.

If you want to make note of good plays and fun things, cool.  If you want to brag you won, cool, you deserve it.  If you want to shit talk people or complain about things, grow up.

In conclusion,

U mad bro? 
Tiger's Den founding member

Ed

• Epic Tier Level 27
  • "No, but have you hearda' Magic?"
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 05:19:01 AM »

i dont know what game you are playing